The Student Room Group

What do i do?

* I have 3 options atm .
1- Take a gap year to improve my A level grades ( B in biology - B in maths , june decides my final score tho ) and to broaden my extra curricular activities

2-Have a foundation year in a very famous / competitive university with a nice ranking? ( Charles university in Prague , ranking of 97 or 228 ) . However , doing the foundation year will NOT garuntee a place for me but will increase my chance.

3-Go to egypt and study Dentistry in a university that's not really competitive ( ranking of 13k lol ) .

Now for the most important question : Will the foundation year be of use Even though i have completed my A level studies?,

Your oppinion might help .

Extra stuff : Im an A level student ( gonna finish my School this june ) and I'm Aiming for Medicine .
Moreover , the reason im not directly into charles university is because i didnt do THAT well in their entrance exam . i can go to the foundation year )
im an international student btw c:

Thank you.
(edited 8 years ago)
What's the rush? Resit and try your best to get AAA. Failing that, yes you could consider Prague, but it'd be cheaper to study in the UK for an undergraduate degree in something else, and then consider graduate entry.

Bear in mind that the Foundation Programme for qualified doctors is already oversubscribed and I would not be surprised if in 5 years time the situation for foreign graduates was very different. If you wish to practice in the UK, it's probably best to train here too.
Well the thing is , after im done with the foundation course , they are going to do an exam . According to a guy i contacted from an education center , he said "its better to do the foundation course in the university you want to go to. because the same professors are going to teach you once you hopefully get to enter the university . Moreover , it does give you a better chance as compared to going anywhere in the world " .

Lel no offense to the britians .. but the UK universities are expensive as **** for foreign students. my family has that set budget where i can only pay about 20k$ for uni and about 14k$ for foundation courses. In charles , 1 year for medicine costs about .... 13k$ or something . However , the foundation year in charles roughly costs 7k$ . If you can reccommend me cheap and good places where i can do the foundation courses in the UK, please do :biggrin:

Thank you for your oppinion :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
You'll want to edit the OP to reflect you're an international student as that will influence the advice given greatly.

Unless the rest of your application is exceptional and resitting results in stellar grades, you'll be unlikely to obtain a place at a UK medical school.
If you are an international where are you going to practice after you graduate? You can't practice in the UK if you did your med school in Prague if you aren't an EU citizen.
Reply 5
Original post by Okorange
If you are an international where are you going to practice after you graduate? You can't practice in the UK if you did your med school in Prague if you aren't an EU citizen.

Why would it be any harder for them to work in the UK after studying in Prague than it would if they'd studied in the UK? Is there some kind of special deal whereby internationals can stay and work after studying in the UK? Or is that not what you meant at all?
Original post by Ronove
Why would it be any harder for them to work in the UK after studying in Prague than it would if they'd studied in the UK? Is there some kind of special deal whereby internationals can stay and work after studying in the UK? Or is that not what you meant at all?

Yeah there is a special deal, if your are international and studied medicine in the UK you can stay for specialty training, but if you studied in the EU you can't come here.
Reply 7
Original post by Okorange
Yeah there is a special deal, if your are international and studied medicine in the UK you can stay for specialty training, but if you studied in the EU you can't come here.

Ah fair enough.
well i would like to clarify that i am not interested to study in the UK if i get into the university of charles in the czech republic

Latest

Trending

Trending