Want more information about this university?
la95
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'll be going to Birmingham to study Liberal Arts and Sciences this autumn. There's a year abroad (with options both inside and outside the EU, including the USA) after second year.

How is this funded? Will I have to pay anything straight out of pocket, or will the entire cost be covered by lons/grants?

Thanks.
TomGidders
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by la95)
I'll be going to Birmingham to study Liberal Arts and Sciences this autumn. There's a year abroad (with options both inside and outside the EU, including the USA) after second year.

How is this funded? Will I have to pay anything straight out of pocket, or will the entire cost be covered by lons/grants?

Thanks.
Hi :-)

Funding varies depending where you go, so for example if you stay in Europe you might be entitled to a scholarship on something called the Erasmus scheme, which can be really useful

Under the current system of student loans (keep an eye on the news with a new government just in) you can still get a student loan when studying abroad anywhere which should cover your costs. However with terms in different countries running at different times there are sometimes some costs associated. For example a friend of mine had to put down an accommodation deposit for the University of Maine. This was eventually covered by her student loan but that didn't come in until a few weeks later

As a general rule though there is more financial support and smoother transition if you stay within the EU, but that doesn't mean only those with money can go to the other places

Hope this helps!
corax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by la95)

Thanks.
Hey, I study this course (first year) and you get a higher Maintenance loan than you do normally. If you go to an EU country you'll also be in the Erasmus scheme in which you are given a grant each month.

In terms of the U.S and other countries outside the Erasmus scheme there is no money incentive. I'm considering going to the U.S and will definitely have to earn my own money to help fund myself, especially for flights and insurance. I'll also probably want to go travelling, so I will need extra money.

In terms of fees, you only pay 15% of University of Birmingham fees (£9,000) which is good.

Hope that helps a little
Also, feel free to ask me any questions about the course!
la95
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by corax)
Hey, I study this course (first year) and you get a higher Maintenance loan than you do normally. If you go to an EU country you'll also be in the Erasmus scheme in which you are given a grant each month.

In terms of the U.S and other countries outside the Erasmus scheme there is no money incentive. I'm considering going to the U.S and will definitely have to earn my own money to help fund myself, especially for flights and insurance. I'll also probably want to go travelling, so I will need extra money.

In terms of fees, you only pay 15% of University of Birmingham fees (£9,000) which is good.

Hope that helps a little
Also, feel free to ask me any questions about the course!
Thank you! Does the higher maintenance loan apply if you go to the US?
corax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by la95)
Thank you! Does the higher maintenance loan apply if you go to the US?
I believe so I think it is for wherever you go.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (532)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (647)
41.29%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (316)
20.17%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (72)
4.59%

Watched Threads