helenstockton
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I want to do veterinary medicine but I am looking at options if I don't get the grades. If I did a science based degree then wanted to do vet med after that as a post graduate, is it possible?
mollyvet
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by helenstockton)
I want to do veterinary medicine but I am looking at options if I don't get the grades. If I did a science based degree then wanted to do vet med after that as a post graduate, is it possible?
It is absolutely possible! Obviously, it depends what kind of Science you go for (eg. something like Biochemistry would be more relevant than Geology!) but a science degree of any sort is a well-used pathway into veterinary. Obviously, there are other factors you should consider regarding a post-grad degree (eg. no student loan available for post-grads/general costs associated with a further 4-5 years of uni/increased tution costs in Scotland) but it's a viable option if managed correctly.
Tarnia
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Graduate entry is still competitive, especially at those schools that don't increase their fees for graduate entry (ie 9,000GBP/year vs. 28,000+GBP/year at the most expensive schools). However I did it, I would do it again, and I agree with the above poster IF you do your research and are fully aware of "what you are getting into" (or as aware as you ever can be) it is totally a viable option. The biggest stumbling block for most people is the lack of government funding for a second degree = high fees. Combined with that the difficulty in procuring private funding., and also the ***realistic-do your research*** expected earnings on graduation.

As mentioned above, be sure to ensure your first degree would be considered acceptable for entry into whatever graduate vet med courses you were considering.
sydneybridge
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You could actually do an Arts degree and get into Vet as a graduate - as long as you had the right subject/grade A levels, and obviously appropriate work experience. Or you could apply for Vet Nursing - shorter course (less ££) and usually lower entry requirements.
lwescott
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I also chose to do an Animal Science degree before studying Vet Med abroad as here fees are cheaper and it's an accelerated course, 4 years post-BSc.
I really enjoyed my first degree, gained lots of experience and worked for a year afterwards to help fund the next step. It's also helped in that I can apply for exemptions in subjects here that I studied in my BSc such as Statistics, Hygiene & Welfare and Physiology to reduce the number of exams we have in the first year.

Another option is to study abroad and skip the science degree, at UVM Kosice there is a 6 year course for A Level leavers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (31)
28.97%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.35%
No I am happy with my choice (59)
55.14%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (7)
6.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed