The Student Room Group

History is a pointless subject.

Scroll to see replies

"He who cannot draw on 3000 years of living, is living from hand to mouth."

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by BioStudentx
You didn't even respond to my point and just went on a tangent about how "pointless" is subjective. I meant pointless as in pointless to the progression of humanity. It is evident from some of the incoherent arguments made in this thread that there are a lot of history students here.

Progression of humanity? It's a null concept. I'd consider people taking an interest in subjects for their own sake progression, but clearly not everyone agrees.
Original post by whorace
Progression of humanity? It's a null concept. I'd consider people taking an interest in subjects for their own sake progression, but clearly not everyone agrees.

We'll have to agree to disagree then.
Well, this is obviously a troll thread, which is a shame because i was hoping to embarrass a true believer.

Human decision making is impotent without raw facts and the connection between them to guide us. If you had no knowledge of how events have played out in the past, and someone asks you "should we invade Syria, yes or no?" how, exactly, would one go about trying to figure out the answer to that question A priori? Furthermore, history is dangerous because if a people are manipulated into thinking that in the past events were different to reality, then they can be manipulated into committing genocide. So getting historical facts straight as a weapon against state propaganda is absolutely vital. And to top it all off, how do we know that this is true? Oh yeah, becuase of the academic study of history shows us that it is.

gg.
Original post by whorace
And he wouldn't have fought a two front war like the Germans did in ww1 lol

lol true

whoever taught Hitler history should have had their teaching revoked.

Quick Reply

Latest