The Student Room Group

GCSE : Tips on how to do better on my -'s. OCR 21st Century Science Science A and Lit

Hey all.

I am predicted A*'s on 8 subjects but worry about some types of questions.

In the OCR Science A Exams, I need tips on approaching six markers.
What is the best way to answer them? I feel it's nothing like what we've been taught!

Also, I have my English Literature WJEC UK Tests coming up, and I would desperately like an A*. Please can someone provide tips on getting the highest possible?

I will be extremely greatful and give reps to all you nice helpful people.

Thank you.
-Potato-
:smile: <3
Reply 1
I'm also doing the OCR science exams, and I got full marks in all my 6 markers. With the six mark questions, there's really no set structure to answer them, you just need to answer them in really full detail, write everything you know about that specific topic. For example if they ask about adult/embryonic stem cells, most people in my class just talked about how adult stem cells can't turn into all cells whereas embryonic can. To reach 6 marks you need to go into full detail as to why, so for example becos in adult stem cells some genes are switches on, etc.

Can't help you will English tho, I do AQA...

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask x
I'm doing OCR gateway science. For the 6 markers, You should make up a structure of your own according to the question. I'm assuming quality of written communication is assessed so you should plan how you answer the question. You should do this on the blank space just after the given space for the answer(not on the the blank pages that says not to write on them!). This way the examiner know what you are talking about. I don't know if your allowed to that on 20th century. You should check with your teacher just to be sure.

As for your English exam, I'm not doing WJEC but for any literature exam, you should practice making plans quickly. It helps loads because it helps you gather your thoughts and put it on the paper easily and clearly.

Hope this helps and good luck!:smile:
Original post by kxylah
I'm also doing the OCR science exams, and I got full marks in all my 6 markers. With the six mark questions, there's really no set structure to answer them, you just need to answer them in really full detail, write everything you know about that specific topic. For example if they ask about adult/embryonic stem cells, most people in my class just talked about how adult stem cells can't turn into all cells whereas embryonic can. To reach 6 marks you need to go into full detail as to why, so for example becos in adult stem cells some genes are switches on, etc.

Can't help you will English tho, I do AQA...

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask x

Thanks a lot for the tips very useful! :smile:
Original post by paranoid197
I'm doing OCR gateway science. For the 6 markers, You should make up a structure of your own according to the question. I'm assuming quality of written communication is assessed so you should plan how you answer the question. You should do this on the blank space just after the given space for the answer(not on the the blank pages that says not to write on them!). This way the examiner know what you are talking about. I don't know if your allowed to that on 20th century. You should check with your teacher just to be sure.

As for your English exam, I'm not doing WJEC but for any literature exam, you should practice making plans quickly. It helps loads because it helps you gather your thoughts and put it on the paper easily and clearly.

Hope this helps and good luck!:smile:

Thank you! Really helped!
No problem!
If you have any more questions, just ask:smile:
In science we were taught it in steps:
1. Highlight what the question is asking
2. Key words
3. Key sentences/points
4. Put all of the above into a paragraph

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HouseOfRichman
In science we were taught it in steps:
1. Highlight what the question is asking
2. Key words
3. Key sentences/points
4. Put all of the above into a paragraph

Thank you for the tips! Very useful to highlighting and applying important bits!

Original post by paranoid197
No problem!
If you have any more questions, just ask:smile:

Thank you! I may need to! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest