The Student Room Group

What do you think about the Paedophile Hunter?

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/oct/02/the-paedophile-hunter-review-dark-and-disturbing

Whilst I of course agree with the ends (exposing people who take the steps to meet with underage children) I can't help but fee a little unease with this.

It just seems like the sort of vigilantism that could evolve from cameras and verbal confrontations to something more sinister. I don't understand why they feel the need for the confrontations, and don't just report it to the Police and let them deal with it.

Your thoughts?
interesting, it certainly has its pros and cons but i don't think this is the way forward.

It's just bait and it's sort of unethical..if that's the word i'm looking for. But pedos are gonna seek out children anyways
I don't feel safe with the paedophile hunter around!
Reply 3
I've no objection to this. If people break the law, they should be punished.
Original post by Rakas21
I've no objection to this. If people break the law, they should be punished.

The problem seems to be that the police (who can and do run stings like this themselves) are underfunded and too thinly stretched to do enough of this, but the problem is clearly quite large. There appear to be quite a lot more predatory paedophiles around than police to apprehend them. In general, citizen action against crime is needed whenever police resources are insufficient to cope.
Reply 5
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The problem seems to be that the police (who can and do run stings like this themselves) are underfunded and too thinly stretched to do enough of this, but the problem is clearly quite large. There appear to be quite a lot more predatory paedophiles around than police to apprehend them. In general, citizen action against crime is needed whenever police resources are insufficient to cope.

Ultimately like the health service i think certain crimes require a bottomless pit to get rid of them completely.

If these people can without committing violence capture these people then good on them unless of course we downgrade the crime or lower the age of consent.
Original post by Fullofsurprises

don't forget that quite a lot of these awful people are actually in the police
I feel there needs to be support for paedophiles. Like psychological help. Most of them were abused as children. Create an environment where they can be open about this. There's no need to fear someone who isn't going to do anything.
I seem to remember someone else doing something similar a few years ago. Ended badly, and I think this one will inevitably go the same way. It ended up being more about perceived 'catches' (for want of a better word) than making sure they were correct.

From memory, this included:
- Cases of mistaken identity.
- Publishing and 'revealing' details of men who admittedly had been explicitly and inappopriately talking to who they thought were underage girls online - but hadn't actually shown any intention of meeting them or having sex in real life.
- Initially pretending the made-up girl was 16 or 17 in order to get the target to agree to meet somewhere, then sending him a text saying she's really only 15 literally minutes before they walked in with the camera to 'reveal' the supposed paedophile.
I do worry about vigilantism, as it it usually very reactionary. I think the best thing they can do is pass on information to the police, but ambushing people is a process which I think can easily end badly, especially when you are enticing potential pedophiles into meeting with someone.

An alternative would be to go through a process like this, but instead of ambushing them send them or emplore for them to seek professional psychological help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending