The Student Room Group

Best route

I really want to be a pathologist however I am really confused by the routes to become one. Can anyone advice me on what qualifications I need to become one from GCSE to Degree as well as the best route.

Thank you in advance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Have you read the wiki as a start? Then you can ask more specific questions.
Reply 2
Original post by Sarky
Have you read the wiki as a start? Then you can ask more specific questions.

Yes I have but I am asking for advice from actual people that have taken it and their routes. So to your answer yes. I have looked up. Thank you
Reply 3
Original post by crimsonrose
Yes I have but I am asking for advice from actual people that have taken it and their routes. So to your answer yes. I have looked up. Thank you

Which wiki have you read?
Reply 4

Generally you will get more help if people can see that you have at least done some preliminary reading. The things you are asking are quite basic and easy to find out the answers to by reading things. Like the wiki. Then if you have more specific questions then maybe you can come back.
Heyyyy, also looking to become a pathologist currently studying for my biomedical degree. I can only tell what route I've decided to take. Mainly focused on Science and Maths GCSE's in yr 11 and for a-levels I studied Biology, Physics and Maths. Then chose to do a degree in biomed once I have completed this I want to specialize in pathology.
Reply 7
Hiya, thank you Salted Caramel1, what did you need to study the biomed degree also how long is this degree please?. The rest who answered I looked on the links and those were what I read previously I had meant what should I do as in GCSEs which are adequate, A levels which should be done and then which course at uni as there are so many and it says online a 5 year yet the university I can attend it says 3 years. I was confused by that.
Reply 8

Hey thanks for the links, however I had already visited them. Not really what I had meant but thank you
Reply 9
Hey thanks for the links, however I had already visited them. Not really what I had meant but thank you

The RCPath link describes all routes to Pathology. Different routes results in different roles. What route you take will depend on what you want to do.

At this point what GCSEs you do do not matter, everyone does English, Math and sciences, just get good grades.
A levels will probably be Biology, Chemistry and one other. Again grades being more important.

Focus on GCSEs for now and then try to get some shadowing of pathologists.

The people who write these articles are people who have gone through the system, you'll not get much more general info.

GCSEs don't particularly matter. Well the subject choices at least. As long as you have good grades in Maths, English, Dual award (or Triple Science) and other subjects. They may ask for a certain amount of A/A*s or A-Cs.

As for A levels, you'll have to look at the entrance requirements for the various degrees.

I know for Medicine, most places will want the complete Chemistry. And a lot will want Biology to at least AS level. Cambridge ask for 3 science A levels but they're the only ones. The list of Medicine A level entry requirements is here. That wiki also has other info that a prospective med student will be interested in.

Medicine is a 5 year degree.

Other Bscs, such as biochemistry, are 3 years. While you have to have a medical degree to be a pathologist, you can work alongside them in other roles by undertaking another life sciences degree and then doing the appropriate post-grad training. I've had a look and quite a few bio-science degrees require Chemistry and at least one other "hard science".

So Chemistry, Biology and 2 other A levels would be a good AS level combo in my opinion. But you've got to do your own research and figure out what's best for you :smile:. Personally, I took Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Music and am aiming at a Medical degree.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by keromedic
GCSEs don't particularly matter. Well the subject choices at least. As long as you have good grades in Maths, English, Dual award (or Triple Science) and other subjects. They may ask for a certain amount of A/A*s or A-Cs.

As for A levels, you'll have to look at the entrance requirements for the various degrees.

I know for Medicine, most places will want the complete Chemistry. And a lot will want Biology to at least AS level. Cambridge ask for 3 science A levels but they're the only ones. The list of Medicine A level entry requirements is here. That wiki also has other info that a prospective med student will be interested in.

Medicine is a 5 year degree.

Other Bscs, such as biochemistry, are 3 years. While you have to have a medical degree to be a pathologist, you can work alongside them in other roles by undertaking another life sciences degree and then doing the appropriate post-grad training. I've had a look and quite a few bio-science degrees require Chemistry and at least one other "hard science".

So Chemistry, Biology and 2 other A levels would be a good AS level combo in my opinion. But you've got to do your own research and figure out what's best for you :smile:. Personally, I took Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Music and am aiming at a Medical degree.

Thank you so much. I have been hoping to attend Hertfordshire Uni as I now live alone and cannot stay away anywhere. However I cannot see a 5 year one, do they all have to be 5 years as the only 5 year is part time
Thank you so much. I have been hoping to attend Hertfordshire Uni as I now live alone and cannot stay away anywhere. However I cannot see a 5 year one, do they all have to be 5 years as the only 5 year is part time

If you're talking about medicine, then yes for undergraduate entry the minimum is 5 years. Hertfordshire uni don't offer Medicine.
Reply 13

To add to ForestCat, the time it takes doesn't matter ad much as the degree you are awarded. As long as it is a primary medical qualification, you're fine.

You need an approved primary medical qualification to enter foundation training, the GMC have a list of all uni's who do the course on their site somewhere.
Reply 14
Original post by ForestCat
If you're talking about medicine, then yes for undergraduate entry the minimum is 5 years. Hertfordshire uni don't offer Medicine.

Actually they do -http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/search?query=medicine&collection=herts-courses&f.Course+Type%7CT=Undergraduate&meta_Y=2015
Actually they do -http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/search?query=medicine&collection=herts-courses&f.Course+Type%7CT=Undergraduate&meta_Y=2015

That link doesn't work.
But I looked at their website. They offer what they call 'postgraduate medicine'. Which is very deceptive. They only offer masters and PhDs for qualified health professionals. They do not offer a medical degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
That link doesn't work.
But I looked at their website. They offer what they call 'postgraduate medicine'. Which is very deceptive. They only offer masters and PhDs for qualified health professionals. They do not offer a medical degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So is biomedical science not medicine? It says further opportunities

Trainee Biomedical Scientist,,

Clinical Trials Associate,

Drug Safety Coordinator,

Medical Representative,

Lab Scientist,

Microbiologist,

Research Assistant,

Tissue Culture Technologist,

Donor Transplant Assistant

So is biomedical science not medicine? It says further opportunities

Trainee Biomedical Scientist,,

Clinical Trials Associate,

Drug Safety Coordinator,

Medical Representative,

Lab Scientist,

Microbiologist,

Research Assistant,

Tissue Culture Technologist,

Donor Transplant Assistant

No, it isn't.

When your say you want to be a pathologist what do you mean?
Reply 18
No, it isn't.

When your say you want to be a pathologist what do you mean?

I want to work in clinical pathology.
I want to work in clinical pathology.

So you want to work in the lab to diagnose disease of the basis of tissue/fluid samples?

If that is the case, it is a medical speciality and you need to complete a medical degree and foundation training before applying for speciality training.

Quick Reply

Latest