Motorcycle insurance quote for young rider

Watch
ostrich160
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi guys, I've been thinking of getting a 125cc bike to get into work and back everyday, I have a mate who's offered me his old (but very well maintained) Keeway speed for £600, and its very tempting. However, Im sure as anyone else would like to, I want to know what Im getting myself in for before I buy anything, and the only thing I cant find anything on is insurance costs, seeing as all the quotes require registration numbers and all these things I dont have because I dont own a bike.
Im 18 years old by the way.
So, could any of you give me a rough idea of how much insurance would set me back. Obviously Im not expecting on the tee answers, just based on experience or whatever.

Thanks

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM:

For people looking for cheap motorbike insurance, shop around! Many TSR members have saved a lot of money using the link below.

https://www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk/

Bigger discussion on motorbike insurance here
domonict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just ask your mate for the reg number or pick one at random from a similar bike on the street.

If if you can find a broker then they would probably get you a better deal than random net based searches
ostrich160
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by domonict)
Just ask your mate for the reg number or pick one at random from a similar bike on the street.

If if you can find a broker then they would probably get you a better deal than random net based searches
I just want a basic guess, I'll check the actual quote if I decide the basic guess is low enough
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My insurance was around £250 (fully comp) for my first year. Boris' was around £260 (third party only).

But it will depend on how old you are, where you're storing the bike, how much your excess is, and other such boring things.
domonict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As above

it would be a gues. I pay £120 but have had a Full licence for years and the bike is garaged etc...

if if you have an attractive bike in an urban ghetto it will cost more to insure than a pedestrian runabout in a rural environment

you asked about a number being needed for the quote.
I can't remember if I was asked to provide registration details to get a quote
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise