My best Manchester United 11. Watch

william walker
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Damn it is tough. Man U must be the only team to have two or more world class players in each position. I would say Schmeichel, Edwards, Stam, Pallister, Irwin. So that is my back line. I think most of use like Gary Neville, but we know he wasn't an all-time great player. Stam and Pallister are the two best center backs Man U have ever had. Tall, strong, fast, good in air, could read the game and decent footballers also. I think Ferdinand and Vidic were a good partnership, but they weren't complete players.

Now central midfield. I have 6 players to choose from here. Scholes, Robson, Charlton, Stiles, Keane and Carrick. I am playing 4-3-3 so I can pick 3 of them. I have basically picked the best three footballers. Robson, Scholes and Charlton. Keane was a great player, but sometimes put himself over the team with red cards. Robson was a better player also. He would be my captain.
The front 3 would be Best, Giggs and Ronaldo. They would rip teams apart with Ronaldo as the striker with Giggs and Best running down the wing or cutting inside. If I was playing 4-4-2 formation then I would have Cantona and RVN. However in a 4-3-3 you need players to change position and be mobile. Ronaldo is the player to do that.

1. Schmeichel
2. Edwards
3. Stam
4. Pallister
5. Irwin
6. Scholes
7. Charlton
8. Robson
9. Best
10. Giggs
11. Ronaldo
difeo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by william walker)
I would say Schmeichel, Edwards, Stam, Pallister, Irwin. So that is my back line.
Edwards wasn't a right back or even a defender
william walker
Rep:
?
(Original post by difeo)
And?
difeo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
And?
And you're playing him at right back
Kenan and Kel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by difeo)
Tbf, it wasn't completely clear what position Edwards would play in for the rest of his career, although it seemed likely that it would have been midfield. Don't mind him being at right-back, probably a better option than the other candidates in terms of quality, even if he never played there before.
william walker
Rep:
?
(Original post by difeo)
And you're playing him at right back
I know.
difeo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I know.
Right well I'm glad you've cleared that up
william walker
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kenan and Kel)
Tbf, it wasn't completely clear what position Edwards would play in for the rest of his career, although it seemed likely that it would have been midfield. Don't mind him being at right-back, probably a better option than the other candidates in terms of quality, even if he never played there before.
Yeah. It is like when England played Scholes on the left of midfield. You simply can't leave a player like Edwards out the team even if he is played out of position. It is clear Edwards had the ability to play anywhere on the pitch in any position. He was physically a freak, strong, quick, powerful on the ball. The main issue would have been positioning within the defence. Though he was a great player at reading the game also. I think he is a better option than Gary Neville long-term.

When ever people pick Gary Neville you always think how can he been in a team this good. He wasn't a physically dominant player, he wasn't quick, he wasn't great on the ball. Neville was consistent, an excellent defender with awareness and positioning. He was also aggressive and would battle on the pitch for the Manchester United.
difeo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
His best qualities seemed to be his stamina, shooting, heading and range of passing, all but one of which would be far more useful in centre mid. Surely it'd be better to bring Neville in at RB, move Edwards to CM, Charlton upfront and Ronaldo to the wing. Means you have an actual RB and striker, and a better CM. Assuming Edwards was as good as they say, taking him out of his best position and into probably the least important one on the pitch seems silly.
Arkasia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
y u no Tyler Blackett?
Kenan and Kel
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by difeo)
His best qualities seemed to be his stamina, shooting, heading and range of passing, all but one of which would be far more useful in centre mid. Surely it'd be better to bring Neville in at RB, move Edwards to CM, Charlton upfront and Ronaldo to the wing. Means you have an actual RB and striker, and a better CM. Assuming Edwards was as good as they say, taking him out of his best position and into probably the least important one on the pitch seems silly.
You'd have to take out Giggs though. It's too hard to do a United XI, too many midfielders.

Based on talent alone:

Schmeichel
Irwin Rio Stam Byrne
Edwards Scholes Keane
Best Charlton Ronaldo

With consideration of their United careers:

Schmeichel
Neville Rio Vidic Byrne
Scholes Robson
Best Charlton Giggs
Law
william walker
Rep:
?
You'd have to take out Giggs though. It's too hard to do a United XI, too many midfielders.

Based on talent alone:

Schmeichel
Irwin Rio Stam Byrne
Edwards Scholes Keane
Best Charlton Ronaldo

With consideration of their United careers:

Schmeichel
Neville Rio Vidic Byrne
Scholes Robson
Best Charlton Giggs
Law
In terms of impact you have to have Cantona somewhere. Really is a shame so many great players died at Munich.
Kenan and Kel
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In terms of impact you have to have Cantona somewhere. Really is a shame so many great players died at Munich.
Yeah maybe Cantona in the 2nd team instead of Law. Tough call. Law could easily be in either team.
Maradiah
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You've completely left out Denis Law, he didn't even make honourable mention.

And he was one of the best players Manchester have ever had, in the early 2000s.:sigh:
sr90
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by difeo)
Please tell me more about a player who was playing 40 years before you were born.

For me when someone like Bobby Charlton says that Duncan Edwards was the best player he ever played with, and made him feel inferior, that's a good indicator. Can't believe some people were comparing Phil Jones to him a couple of years back ffs.
william walker
Rep:
?
(Original post by sr90)
Please tell me more about a player who was playing 40 years before you were born.

For me when someone like Bobby Charlton says that Duncan Edwards was the best player he ever played with, and made him feel inferior, that's a good indicator. Can't believe some people were comparing Phil Jones to him a couple of years back ffs.
Phil Jones is like a headless chicken. He has it all physically, but he isn't a very good footballer and isn't great at reading the same. People said Ryan Giggs was the new George Best and it was a load of rubbish.
difeo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sr90)

I was obviously talking about what I've read and heard, as is anyone who makes a United 11.

Yes, so someone that good should be played in their actual position.
sr90
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by difeo)
I was obviously talking about what I've read and heard, as is anyone who makes a United 11.

Yes, so someone that good should be played in their actual position.
Just thought it was funny given your comments in the draft thread!
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sr90)

Old people tend to exaggerate a bit though. Plus I think the way things ended with Edwards means his qualities are magnified a bit. You tend to become a better player in memory cos people only remember the good things if you get me. Though every person who saw him play said he was the best and that he was the perfect player.

I know quite a bit about Edwards cos he's from my neck of the woods.

He was that big and that young his nickname was manboy, if you look at any team photo from '53 to '58 you don't even need to know who's who because Duncan was the biggest person there.

He lived for two weeks after the plane crash with no kidney as it had been damaged beyond repair.

He played in the '57 cup final that Villa beat United in 2-1. He played in the United team that beat Anderlecht 10-0 and the England team that beat Scotland 7-2.

A great shame he never got to reach his full potential.
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Wilfred Little)

A great shame he never got to reach his full potential.
Not least because, you've got to say had he and the Busby Babes survived, England may very well have lifted the World Cup before 1966. Imagine having two stars on that shirt rather than one.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (498)
59.78%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.16%
No- I want it (236)
28.33%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise