I can't decide between Aberdeen and Glasgow University, which is best? Watch

katieann229
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I want to study Sociology and Politics but I can't decide which university will be the best option. I want to know about the accommodation, the city, the courses, the facilities, and experiences of being a student at one of these.
aidangranada
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Accommodation - Aberdeen, they have built new accommodation and Glasgow's is notoriously messy (Murano)

City - Glasgow

Courses - Depends per subject... for sociology I'd say Glasgow. It also depends on what league table you look at - The Guardian rates Aberdeen very highly and then the complete university guide rates Glasgow high and Aberdeen a little behind.

Facilities - Aberdeen, the best library in Scotland, architecture is insane, and new sports facilities

Student experience - Glasgow has best nightlife but Aberdeen is more student-centred which may make it better for us

I was born in Glasgow, live near Glasgow, have lived in Glasgow and am going to study at Aberdeen. I am free from bias. I'd say Aberdeen really looks like the university that is on the up, and Glasgow is lagging in infrastructure but is a very proud and politically motivated institution. Can't stress enough how impressed you'll be about the Aberdeen library, especially compared to Glasgow's which NEEDS investment in places and is dated but is certainly adequate.

I've got two friends at Aberdeen who love the city. It's obviously a small city but has high class, is easy to feel at home there and get on top of. Also common opinion is that the Aberdeen clubs top the Edinburgh clubs. Glasgow nightlife will be top notch. Have a friend who I see regularly at Glasgow and they are really enjoying it there.

Whatever one you pick, you're in a great place. Message me for more detailed info.
Charlotte_0
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm in my fourth year at Aberdeen doing English (I have 3 friends doing joint English and Sociology, so I've heard a bit about it too). The students I know who do sociology really enjoy it and there appears to be a very close bond between the lecturers and students, which is really useful if you have any problems obviously!

The accommodation is great in first year in halls. I stayed in New Carnegie, but I saw around most of the different halls. Hillhead is pretty good in general because it's like it's own little student town. Also I love the University because it's quite small, so it's easy to find your way around pretty quickly (which was especially important for me because I came here alone, never having been to Aberdeen before, so I had to learn quickly!). The library and the sports village are pretty great. However, what I would say about the library is that it can be quite noisy with that goddamn massive hole in the middle (one that they could have filled with chairs so that everyone can get a seat at exam time).

I know this may seem too good to be true - but honestly I've had no problems in Aberdeen whatsoever. I really love it and would recommend it to anyone! Happy studying! If you have any questions, just let me know .

p.s I am going to Glasgow University for postgraduate study, so fingers crossed it's just as good!
Roving Fish
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Moved from University Life to Social and Political Sciences.

- RF
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?