Would you prefer a Labour-Conservative 'grand coalition' to a minority Labour gov? Watch

Poll: Would you prefer a Labour-Conservative 'grand coalition' to a minority Labour gov?
Yes (15)
46.88%
No (16)
50%
Not sure (1)
3.13%
Thomas2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Unlikely perhaps, but I for one think I would prefer this to a minority Labour government dancing to the tune of the SNP.

Such a possibility has actually been mooted by a few people in both the Labour Party and the Conservative Party and there is a precedent for it in other European countries such as Germany.

If it did happen who would be PM?
SeaPony
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They are both as bad as each other...
Grand coalition will only benefit UKIP so I would go for that.
Thomas2
Rep:
?
At least we won't have the SNP.
Arbolus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A minority Labour government would never get anything done. A Lab-Con coalition would have to make a lot of compromises that many individual voters wouldn't like, but the end result would probably be closer to what the average voter wants than anything else.
Thomas2
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arbolus)
A minority Labour government would never get anything done. A Lab-Con coalition would have to make a lot of compromises that many individual voters wouldn't like, but the end result would probably be closer to what the average voter wants than anything else.
Not sure who would be PM though, I presume it would be the leader of the party with most MPs.
St. Brynjar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I can't imagine it working, especially if the Tories have more seats. In that situation, Cameron would be PM and either Miliband/Balls chancellor. Considering their whole campaign has been targeting Labour's supposed weakness on the economy, there's no way they'd let that happen. Purely out of interest, I imagine the cabinet would be something like:

PM: Leader of the largest party
Chancellor: Leader of the second party
Home sec: Largest party
Foreign sec: Second party

With the Tories having:
Business
Chief sec to the Treasury
Defence
Leader of the House
Justice
Northern Ireland

And Labour having:
Health
Education
Work & Pensions
Energy & Climate
International Development
Scotland/Wales
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No.

So long as the government passes a budget that reduces the deficit i have no problem with governments not being able to pass their latest piece of equality ect.. legislation. Not because i dislike equality legislation but in general government loves to regulate and change things when the status-quo is quite good.
Thomas2
Rep:
?
(Original post by St. Brynjar)
I can't imagine it working, especially if the Tories have more seats. In that situation, Cameron would be PM and either Miliband/Balls chancellor. Considering their whole campaign has been targeting Labour's supposed weakness on the economy, there's no way they'd let that happen. Purely out of interest, I imagine the cabinet would be something like:

PM: Leader of the largest party
Chancellor: Leader of the second party
Home sec: Largest party
Foreign sec: Second party

With the Tories having:
Business
Chief sec to the Treasury
Defence
Leader of the House
Justice
Northern Ireland

And Labour having:
Health
Education
Work & Pensions
Energy & Climate
International Development
Scotland/Wales
I would have thought Foreign Secretary would be more likely to go to the largest party. It's difficult to see how a PM could work with a chancellor from another party...
St. Brynjar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Thomas2)
I would have thought Foreign Secretary would be more likely to go to the largest party. It's difficult to see how a PM could work with a chancellor from another party...
As I said, I doubt it could work.

From your comment, it seems that PM, Chancellor and Foreign sec would all go to the same party, despite the fact there will almost certainly be fewer than 20 seats between the two parties. Do you think that the smaller party would accept such a one-sided coalition agreement?
Thomas2
Rep:
?
(Original post by St. Brynjar)
As I said, I doubt it could work.

From your comment, it seems that PM, Chancellor and Foreign sec would all go to the same party, despite the fact there will almost certainly be fewer than 20 seats between the two parties. Do you think that the smaller party would accept such a one-sided coalition agreement?
I don't know. They might if they had deputy PM and a greater number of less senior ministerial posts... The people in senior cabinet posts would have to be acceptable to both parties whichever they came from.

It has worked in Germany in the past, so it is not impossible. I don't know how difficult the negotiations were.
Arbolus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not sure who would be PM though, I presume it would be the leader of the party with most MPs.
I imagine so, yes. Of the four great offices - the Prime Minister, the Chancellor, the Home Secretary and the Foreign Secretary - I think it would be fair if the largest party got the PM and one other of their choice, while the other two would go to the smaller party along with the Deputy PM. The other ministries would be split roughly evenly. That's assuming both parties are very close in terms of both number of seats and share of the vote - if there's a bigger difference then the coalition agreement would reflect that.
Nice.Guy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This wouldn't happen. They hate each other too much. And no-one would vote Labour or Conservative ever again. The Greens would win the next general election. And then the country would be in tatters soon after that.
Thomas2
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nice.Guy)
This wouldn't happen. They hate each other too much. And no-one would vote Labour or Conservative ever again. The Greens would win the next general election. And then the country would be in tatters soon after that.
Nah, we'd get the commies in power.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Unlikely perhaps, but I for one think I would prefer this to a minority Labour government dancing to the tune of the SNP.

Such a possibility has actually been mooted by a few people in both the Labour Party and the Conservative Party and there is a precedent for it in other European countries such as Germany.

You do not mention the more likely scenario which is that the smaller major party gives confidence and supply to the larger major party whilst remaining the opposition.
Thomas2
Rep:
?
(Original post by nulli tertius)
You do not mention the more likely scenario which is that the smaller major party gives confidence and supply to the larger major party whilst remaining the opposition.
Wouldn't that present a conflict of interests, except perhaps in occasional cases such as defence/trident? The opposition's main duty is to oppose the government.
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Labour would n ever get a seat in Scotland ever again. Perosnally, i'd find it fascinating, but it'd be a complete political disaster for both Parties.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wouldn't that present a conflict of interests, except perhaps in occasional cases such as defence/trident? The opposition's main duty is to oppose the government.
No because the minor party is still opposing. It simply doesn't press its opposition to a division because, for example the Tory Party considers that a Labour Government not in thrall to the SNP to be better for Britain than a Labour Government holding office at Sturgeon's sufferance.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

The only viable purpose of a coalition like that, from the Tory point of view, would be to get Labour to sign up to an agenda of extreme cuts and wholesale elimination of public services, which is what the Tories are planning when they are elected.

The only reason Labour would sign up for that is if they are wholly corrupted prisoners of the Murdoch/Rothermere cabal, international Big Finance capital and their compliant tools in the UK corporate sector and tax evasion industries.

As neither seems particularly desirable to me, then no, I'm not in favour.
Thomas2
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
The only viable purpose of a coalition like that, from the Tory point of view, would be to get Labour to sign up to an agenda of extreme cuts and wholesale elimination of public services, which is what the Tories are planning when they are elected.

The only reason Labour would sign up for that is if they are wholly corrupted prisoners of the Murdoch/Rothermere cabal, international Big Finance capital and their compliant tools in the UK corporate sector and tax evasion industries.

As neither seems particularly desirable to me, then no, I'm not in favour.
Vive la SNP 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (47)
25.41%
No (138)
74.59%

Watched Threads