The Student Room Group

Aqa AS Economics Unit 2 19th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IDK Tuition
Just remember to include diagrams/ examples in your 5 mark definition question and you shouldn't lose too many marks! I cover the 25 mark evaluation question in depth on my website, where I've also got a full mark response (too much text to paste here!)

Tom (IDK-tuition.com, free online economics resources and videos)

Thanks a lot for this!
but i feel like time is a massive hurdle in this exam, so don't you think that drawing a diagram for the 5 marker would waste time.
is there a quicker way to go about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by finisher489
Introduction

Definition

Points with analysis and evaluation

Draw at least one diagram (AD/AS, LRAS)

Use data quotes (Extract C states that ''.................'')

Use figures and examples from today's UK economy (e.g. Inflation is currently 0%, below the government's target of 2%. It is currently very low because of a fall in the world price of oil.

Write a short conclusion (e.g. In conclusion, I believe that a significant increase in exports may be beneficial to the UK economy in many ways but that there are still limitations of increasing exports.)

Spend 25 mins on the essay, 25 mins on the rest of the data response and 25 mins on multiple choice

Only 25 mins on the essayy?!!
i would say you need at least 35 mins

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LearningGeek
Thanks a lot for this!
but i feel like time is a massive hurdle in this exam, so don't you think that drawing a diagram for the 5 marker would waste time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree, you only need a diagram if you are aiming at getting less than 5 marks or you don't really know the definition required. 5 marks is usually a definition and as long as you know it, one line is usually more than enough.
Only 25 mins on the essayy?!!
i would say you need at least 35 mins

Posted from TSR Mobile

The essay is worth 1/3 of the marks of the paper. Don't spend nearly half of your time on it as you will end up underperforming in the rest of the data response or the multiple choice. I'm just going to listen to my teacher who said that we should spend around 25 mins on it.
The essay is worth 1/3 of the marks of the paper. Don't spend nearly half of your time on it as you will end up underperforming in the rest of the data response or the multiple choice. I'm just going to listen to my teacher who said that we should spend around 25 mins on it.

it is around 25 minutes for the multiple choice (hopefully less) and the rest is for the case study. I have students spending 30, 35 minutes. It varies with every student and your teacher may advice you 25 minutes because he/she may think you only need 25 minutes to complete it successfully, others may take longer. I usually recommend at least 30 minutes.

I understand, that does make sense tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by keynes24
it is around 25 minutes for the multiple choice (hopefully less) and the rest is for the case study. I have students spending 30, 35 minutes. It varies with every student and your teacher may advice you 25 minutes because he/she may think you only need 25 minutes to complete it successfully, others may take longer. I usually recommend at least 30 minutes.

30 mins for the multiple choice?
My Teacher suggests roughly 1 mark, 1 minute. However you can save some time on the 5 Marker and maybe some of the multiple choice questions if you've practiced, this saved time can be used for the 25 Marker to make a plan.
I finish the multiple choice is 10-15 minutes. It's impossible to make a quality essay with literally only 25 minutes (since it doesn't account for time reading the extracts).
30 mins for the multiple choice?

30 minutes for the long answer question
Reply 50
hey guys, say if i was to get around 50-55 for both the papers, what sort of grade do u think i would be looking at over roughly, thanks:smile:
Reply 51
Original post by boyyo
hey guys, say if i was to get around 50-55 for both the papers, what sort of grade do u think i would be looking at over roughly, thanks:smile:

mid-high B. few more marks for an A
Reply 52
Original post by Jupers
mid-high B. few more marks for an A

Nice, thanks
Reply 53
Has anyone got any exemplar top level 12/25 markers I can have? Want to try and perfect this
ThERE IS one THING i JUST DO NOT UNDERSTAND.
hOW ON EARTH IS THE EXCHANGE RATE linked with inflation/interest rates
Original post by star80

The exchange rate can cause (X-M) to either shift right or left, then the £ devalues, imports become expensive, so exports are cheaper, therefor increasing (x-m) and by the multiplier effect this increases AD, depending on where in the economic cycle you are it can be inflationary remember AXE (appreciation means x more expensive) and DIE (depreciation means imports more expensive)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by star80

Remember, that inflation is an increase in price level
If theres a weak pound, price of imports increases, price of exports decrease, therefore AD increase, therefore price level increase, therefore inflation increases

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks a lot for this!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you can identify a relevant diagram, it'll only take 30 seconds to draw one out. Sometimes it can be hard to know whether you've ticked all the right boxes with your definition and a relevant diagram will always be credited.

Tom (IDK-tuition.com, free online economics resources and videos)
Can someone explain the accelerator theory?? and how it can be applied into context?
Reply 59
Original post by legolas_09
Can someone explain the accelerator theory?? and how it can be applied into context?

Accelerator effect is the relation between the change in new investment and the rate of change of national income.

This means that when national income goes up, firms spot this increase and invest a proportionately greater amount into investment as the expect more goods to be sold.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending