Intermolecular Forces

Watch this thread
Gerrard24
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm doing the May 2013 Atoms paper, question 3di is, name the main intermolecular forces present. NH(3) and PH(3) - How do i do this?
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Gerrard24)
I'm doing the May 2013 Atoms paper, question 3di is, name the main intermolecular forces present. NH(3) and PH(3) - How do i do this?
You write down the type of intermolecular forces present in ammonia and phosphine ...
Gerrard24
Rep:
Yeah, I get that, I just don't understand how to work it out, or is it something I'm just expected to know?
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Gerrard24)
Yeah, I get that, I just don't understand how to work it out, or is it something I'm just expected to know?
You are expected to know that H attached to N or O produces hydrogen bonding ...
Gerrard24
Rep:
(Original post by charco)
You are expected to know that H attached to N or O produces hydrogen bonding ...
So is that the only time where hydrogen bonding occurs? Other than that it's either Permanent dipole-dipole interactions and van der Waals forces?
theboss1998
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Hydrogen bonds will only occur between a highly electronegative centre (N,O and F) that have at least a lone pair and a H atom. Hence, Oxygen has 2 lone pairs, one of which forms a hydrogen bond with the hydrogen on another water molecule.
Permanent Dipole-Dipole occurs between atoms of different electro-negativities forming slightly positive and slightly negative charges.
Gerrard24
Rep:
(Original post by theboss1998)
Hydrogen bonds will only occur between a highly electronegative centre (N,O and F) that have at least a lone pair and a H atom. Hence, Oxygen has 2 lone pairs, one of which forms a hydrogen bond with the hydrogen on another water molecule.
Permanent Dipole-Dipole occurs between atoms of different electro-negativities forming slightly positive and slightly negative charges.

Okay, thank you. Does than mean Hydrogen bonding only occurs when bonded with N-O-F, is there not any other molecules? Also Permanent dipole-dipole, you said different electronegativities, does that mean it only occurs in ionic bonding?
theboss1998
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Hydrogen Bonds only occur with N-O-F
Permanent Dipole-Dipole could occurs between any atoms. However, they can occur between covalent bonds too, ie. Carbon-Fluorine bond has a large difference in electronegativity so it isnot just ionic. However, large differences will be ionic.
Hydrogen bonds occur since there are large differences between H and N-O-F atoms.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (41)
26.8%
As I expected (49)
32.03%
Harder (56)
36.6%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.58%

Watched Threads