FTSE420
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Which A-Levels would be best for either a BSc/BA (Ox and Cam)/MEng Computer Science degree at a top 5 CompSci university (e.g. Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, Edinburgh etc.)?

Currently I am choosing these A-Levels:
- Maths
- Physics
- Spanish
- Either economics/geography
- School has let me do a 2 year AS Further Maths course

Computing A-Level isn't offered at my school. Would my choices suffice a CompSci degree at a top uni?
VannR
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by FTSE420)
Which A-Levels would be best for either a BSc/BA (Ox and Cam)/MEng Computer Science degree at a top 5 CompSci university (e.g. Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, Edinburgh etc.)?

Currently I am choosing these A-Levels:
- Maths
- Physics
- Spanish
- Either economics/geography
- School has let me do a 2 year AS Further Maths course

Computing A-Level isn't offered at my school. Would my choices suffice a CompSci degree at a top uni?
Computer Science at a top-5 university requires that you have both Maths and Further Maths at A-Level with top grades (A/A*). The third subject can essentially be whatever you want, provided that it has significant academic content; it could be a natural or social science, a language, humanities etc. Just make sure that you get a least an A in the third subject, and at least one A* for Maths and Further Maths.

Computing A-Level is not required to do Computer Science at university.
FTSE420
Rep:
?
(Original post by VannR)
Computer Science at a top-5 university requires that you have both Maths and Further Maths at A-Level with top grades (A/A*). The third subject can essentially be whatever you want, provided that it has significant academic content; it could be a natural or social science, a language, humanities etc. Just make sure that you get a least an A in the third subject, and at least one A* for Maths and Further Maths.

Computing A-Level is not required to do Computer Science at university.
So Further Maths AS is not sufficient and Further Maths to A2 is required? What kind of GCSEs are required for CompSci at a top uni?

If you don't mind saying do you study CompSci at uni?
VannR
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So Further Maths AS is not sufficient and Further Maths to A2 is required? What kind of GCSEs are required for CompSci at a top uni?

If you don't mind saying do you study CompSci at uni?
Given that we are talking about Oxbridge and Imperial, Maths and Further Maths must be taken to A2 in order get onto their course; this is stated explicitly on their websites. At other universities, including ones in the top 10 such as Warwick, Further Maths is not required but can get you a contextual offer (AAA instead of A*AA).

As for myself, I'm starting Computer Science in September and currently have AA in Maths and Further Maths; my third A-Level is Philosophy with exams in the next few weeks.

EDIT: What is important for GCSE's is grades, since most people's GCSE's cover a wide range of subjects, with grades being the best indication of suitability for the course at that level. For A-Levels, subject choice is vital, along with grades.
FTSE420
Rep:
?
(Original post by VannR)
Given that we are talking about Oxbridge and Imperial, Maths and Further Maths must be taken to A2 in order get onto their course; this is stated explicitly on their websites. At other universities, including ones in the top 10 such as Warwick, Further Maths is not required but can get you a contextual offer (AAA instead of A*AA).

As for myself, I'm starting Computer Science in September and currently have AA in Maths and Further Maths; my third A-Level is Philosophy with exams in the next few weeks.

EDIT: What is important for GCSE's is grades, since most people's GCSE's cover a wide range of subjects, with grades being the best indication of suitability for the course at that level. For A-Levels, subject choice is vital, along with grades.
Thanks. It says on Oxbridge and Imperial's website that it is highly recommended (probably means basically required) that you do Further Maths to at least AS, not A2. However, they say that they may put STEP or AEA on your offer...

What do you mean by contextual offer?

Well done on those results! Which uni are you going to if you don't mind saying?
VannR
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks. It says on Oxbridge and Imperial's website that it is highly recommended (probably means basically required) that you do Further Maths to at least AS, not A2. However, they say that they may put STEP or AEA on your offer...

What do you mean by contextual offer?

Well done on those results! Which uni are you going to if you don't mind saying?
I'm going to Royal Holloway, University of London - it's a family tradition. I thought about going to Warwick for prestige's sake, but my particular requirements (future research fields and international links) are best served there. Also, I only need a C in Philosophy to get in which is practically an unconditional as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, I forgot to mention that you are more likely going to require STEP, MAT or AEA scores at the top universities than A2 Further Maths. By the way, a contextual offer is when they offer you a slightly lower offer because of your particular circumstances; for example, at Warwick the offer is A*AA, but if you have A2 Maths and Further Maths they reduce it to AAA (this is stated explicitly on their website).
gavinlowe
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by VannR)
Given that we are talking about Oxbridge and Imperial, Maths and Further Maths must be taken to A2 in order get onto their course; this is stated explicitly on their websites.
That is not true for any of those universities:
http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/...al_offers.html,
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...mputer-science,
http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/computing...p/requirements.
Please avoid posting misleading information.

The following is the Oxford advice; the other two universities are pretty similar. Further Maths is certainly highly recommended, but is not required. OP: can you persuade your school to let you take Further Maths to A2?

Computing is not required, but we like to see that candidates know what computer science involves, and ideally have done a bit of programming; this can be picked up by personal projects.

Physics is a pretty good choice.

The importance of GCSEs at Oxford is often exaggerated. In Computer Science, we certainly like to see good grades in Mathematics and sciences, but otherwise we don't put much weight on GCSEs. In the last admissions round, most successful candidates had 6 A*s; but the success rate wasn't much different between those with 6 A*s and those with 12.

Gavin
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.09%
Uncertainty around my education (37)
10.72%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (40)
11.59%
Lack of purpose or motivation (47)
13.62%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
4.93%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (16)
4.64%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (37)
10.72%
Financial worries (24)
6.96%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.35%
Exposure to negative news/social media (21)
6.09%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (10)
2.9%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (35)
10.14%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (25)
7.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise