alex_1998
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi! I was just wondering if anyone could help me with structuring my english essays for the upcoming exam in 3 weeks. I'm currently achieving high B's in both questions of the paper, however for question 1 I'm always told to include more context. I always try and include context but it never seems to be enough to score an A. Luckily, I scored 54/60 in my coursework, however I'm really determined for the A grade and want to ensure it by getting an A in the paper! Thank you- would be great for some help
laurenb7
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Are you studying Victorian Literature, World War One or the Struggle for Identity?

I'm doing Victorian Literature and I have covered themes such as religion, social class, empires, position of women in society, science, change in views and attitudes etc. to cover my historical context. I'd figure out all the possible themes which are related to your topic and then do some background research on them. Good luck!
alex_1998
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by laurenb7)
Are you studying Victorian Literature, World War One or the Struggle for Identity?

I'm doing Victorian Literature and I have covered themes such as religion, social class, empires, position of women in society, science, change in views and attitudes etc. to cover my historical context. I'd figure out all the possible themes which are related to your topic and then do some background research on them. Good luck!
Thank you so much I'm doing the struggle for identity. I've researched historical context linked to racism, feminism etc, but I sometimes get confused on how to include it in my answer. Thank you & good luck for the exam as well
laurenb7
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
No problem! and ah I'm the same sometimes! We got told to structure our paragraphs in this way:

1) Point and quote
2) Language analysis
3) Link to context
4) Link to wider reading/analyse wider reading quote
5) Link back to the initial point and exam question.

Hope that helps! I think as long as you get it in there somewhere and structure your answer well then you should be okay, you could probably mention historical context after your wider reading if you prefer that
scrawlx101
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
No problem! and ah I'm the same sometimes! We got told to structure our paragraphs in this way:

1) Point and quote
2) Language analysis
3) Link to context
4) Link to wider reading/analyse wider reading quote
5) Link back to the initial point and exam question.

Hope that helps! I think as long as you get it in there somewhere and structure your answer well then you should be okay, you could probably mention historical context after your wider reading if you prefer that
what aboyt for poetry? confused on how to structure that?

i have a question:To What Extent is entrappment the most important theme in Tennyson's poetry?

I choose Mariana and The Lady Of shalott to support it and Ulysses to contrast/disagree as it focuses more on Determination...

How do i structure my response?

Here's what i usually do:

Intro - LOS focuses on entrapment caused by the supernatural whereas Mariana's is more self inflicted.Ulysses focuses on determination

Para 1 - Mariana

Para 2 - Mariana

Para 3-Similairly LOS

Para 4 - LOS

Para 5 and 6 - Determination is a more important theme in Tennysons poetry as seen in Ulysses

Para 7 - Alternative viewpoint - Ulysses is entrapped in a mind state of greed

Para 8 - Conclusion
Although determination is important entrapment is more prevalent as seen in Mariana and LOS determination is a key feature of Tennysons work as seen in Ulysses although there is a focus on entrappment?

Is that okay?
laurenb7
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by scrawlx101)
what aboyt for poetry? confused on how to structure that?

i have a question:To What Extent is entrappment the most important theme in Tennyson's poetry?

I choose Mariana and The Lady Of shalott to support it and Ulysses to contrast/disagree as it focuses more on Determination...

How do i structure my response?

Here's what i usually do:

Intro - LOS focuses on entrapment caused by the supernatural whereas Mariana's is more self inflicted.Ulysses focuses on determination

Para 1 - Mariana

Para 2 - Mariana

Para 3-Similairly LOS

Para 4 - LOS

Para 5 and 6 - Determination is a more important theme in Tennysons poetry as seen in Ulysses

Para 7 - Alternative viewpoint - Ulysses is entrapped in a mind state of greed

Para 8 - Conclusion
Although determination is important entrapment is more prevalent as seen in Mariana and LOS determination is a key feature of Tennysons work as seen in Ulysses although there is a focus on entrappment?

Is that okay?
Yes, that's a really good structure and is one I find simple to use! You've clearly structured it in order to provide a good answer, arguing both sides of the question and then giving a conclusion 😊 i was told that we could also use paragraphs where we simultaneously analyse two poems. So for example "Both 'Mariana' and 'Lady of Shallot' focus on entrapment...then you would give quotes and simultaneously analyse them etc. Either way, the structure you have is good!
scrawlx101
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Yes, that's a really good structure and is one I find simple to use! You've clearly structured it in order to provide a good answer, arguing both sides of the question and then giving a conclusion ������ i was told that we could also use paragraphs where we simultaneously analyse two poems. So for example "Both 'Mariana' and 'Lady of Shallot' focus on entrapment...then you would give quotes and simultaneously analyse them etc. Either way, the structure you have is good!

my teacher ticked me off and said its like im basically listing the poems and theres no proper comparission so she said

Intro

Comparative point 1

PEE poem 1

Pee Poem 2

comparative point 2

Pee poem 1
Pee poem 2

Counter Arguement

Conclusion

need to practise with this structure alot before the exam....
laurenb7
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by scrawlx101)
my teacher ticked me off and said its like im basically listing the poems and theres no proper comparission so she said

Intro

Comparative point 1

PEE poem 1

Pee Poem 2

comparative point 2

Pee poem 1
Pee poem 2

Counter Arguement

Conclusion

need to practise with this structure alot before the exam....
Oh that makes sense! Will have to try that out, thanks!😊
scrawlx101
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Oh that makes sense! Will have to try that out, thanks!������
what can we write for the AS poetry exam?

for instance our teacher has said we can do:

pathethic fallacy
semantic field
narrative e.g. third person,dramatic monlogue
characterisation(not sure what this is though)

what else can we talk about?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.46%
Okay (114)
29.16%
A bit lacking (148)
37.85%
Not good at all (92)
23.53%

Watched Threads