dr2809
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey TSRians,
I've received offers from both unis- Imperial would be a BSc.Mathematics course, and I got accepted into the College of Letters and Science at Berkeley, and so will only choose my major(s) in Junior/3rd year, which will most probably be Math or Applied Math. I am an international student so either place is not an issue (although please feel free to comment on location too) and I've got my finances covered. Rankings are not an issue- I know they're both extremely prestigious both in general and for what I want to study. However, I do need advice on just about everything else- the lifestyle, the education, the good, the bad, etc. I am hopelessly and utterly lost and have to make a decision soon. HELP ME PLS
1drowssap
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by dr2809)
Hey TSRians,
I've received offers from both unis- Imperial would be a BSc.Mathematics course, and I got accepted into the College of Letters and Science at Berkeley, and so will only choose my major(s) in Junior/3rd year, which will most probably be Math or Applied Math. I am an international student so either place is not an issue (although please feel free to comment on location too) and I've got my finances covered. Rankings are not an issue- I know they're both extremely prestigious both in general and for what I want to study. However, I do need advice on just about everything else- the lifestyle, the education, the good, the bad, etc. I am hopelessly and utterly lost and have to make a decision soon. HELP ME PLS
I would say UC Berkley. Generally, it is considered one of the best state schools in the US. Prestigious US unis are also harder to get into than Prestigious UK unis.
Ironically, I thinking Imperial would probably give you a better education than UC Berkley(based on hear say that US undergrad is rubbish).
So, in my view, prestige is what would sway me to choose UC Berkley.
caveman123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by dr2809)
Hey TSRians,
(Original post by 1drowssap)
I would say UC Berkley. Generally, it is considered one of the best state schools in the US. Prestigious US unis are also harder to get into than Prestigious UK unis.
Ironically, I thinking Imperial would probably give you a better education than UC Berkley(based on hear say that US undergrad is rubbish).
So, in my view, prestige is what would sway me to choose UC Berkley.
Surely you can answer the question yourself?

I mean, what were your thoughts when you applied to them both? Did you not think you'd get offers from both?

You're international, so I assume that means you're not from the US either! Have you ever been to San Francisco or London? They're very different and in terms of food, weather and lifestyle, I'd choose Berkeley. There's just so much more in California than London.

If you still have time, I suggest you apply to Stanford as well. Architectually, it's very impressive and in a nicer location.

Maths at Imperial is amongst the best in the UK, part of COWI, though the general standard of maths in the UK compared to other countries in the world is pretty average. Similarly, maths in the US is not that great either.

I thought Berkeley was only part state, part private.
Mr.Rojas
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Berkeley is the better university between the two. It also would offer you better college experience. It is also more prestigious and the undergrad programme at Berkeley offers more flexibility -- you can always shift out when you feel you don't like maths anymore, or you can take minors if there's another subject area which you'd also find interesting.

That said, I'd personally choose Imperial for undergrad maths because it's only 3 years and thus would come out much cheaper. I'd then pursue master's level programme in the US.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (275)
56.35%
I don't have everything I need (213)
43.65%

Watched Threads