The Student Room Group

Chemistry q about ions

I am a bit confused, if you add Silver nitrate and it produces yellow/ cream precipitate then that is a test for halide as it the ions responisible for it should be Br- or I- right?
But then you add Dilute nitric acid and it fizzes, what is that ion/compound present?
Please helppp...
No - The dilute nitric acid is added at the start in order to remove any unwanted ions like carbonate ions that may give false results. For example:

When Silver Nitrate is added to Chloride ion, silver chloride forms, which is a white precipitate.
Similarly, Silver nitrate can react with a carbonate ion to for Silver carbonate, which is also a white precipitate.
Reply 2
Original post by theboss1998
No - The dilute nitric acid is added at the start in order to remove any unwanted ions like carbonate ions that may give false results. For example:

When Silver Nitrate is added to Chloride ion, silver chloride forms, which is a white precipitate.
Similarly, Silver nitrate can react with a carbonate ion to for Silver carbonate, which is also a white precipitate.

In an experiment that i have carried, we added 1 cm^3 of silver nitrate which produced a yellow precipitate and then we added 4cm^3 of dilute nitric acid which caused the solution to start fizzing and turned into a colour less solution

Quick Reply

Latest