How to improve French reading and listening?

Watch
iFailure
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Im an AS student doing French AQA.

How do i improve my french listening and writing?

My teacher gives us a long article/extract to read with english words from the extract to translate into french. Is this a good way to revise? Im very good with essay: normally get 30/35, but not so good with the list/read. I do flash cards: but i think it merely helps with essay writing.

Any help?

merci
mortal infinity
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Try listening to French speaking on youtube
Arcai
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Practise as many exam questions as you can, those focused on your weaknesses, then self-mark to see where you're going wrong. When it comes to listening, maybe listening to french speaking online e.g. Youtube will help, as for reading, try reading newspapers or articles of interest to learn new vocab. Trying exam questions helps and when doing a reading make sure you read the text properly as to not miss something that could catch you out. A grammar book or textbook may help too.
Claros
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by iFailure)
Im an AS student doing French AQA.

How do i improve my french listening and writing?

My teacher gives us a long article/extract to read with english words from the extract to translate into french. Is this a good way to revise? Im very good with essay: normally get 30/35, but not so good with the list/read. I do flash cards: but i think it merely helps with essay writing.

Any help?

merci

I agree with the other users, definitely do past reading papers as it will give you an idea of what they expect of you in the exam and they will probably reuse some of the unfamiliar vocab in past papers. For listening I suggest listening to the French news on TF1 everyday for 10-15 minutes. I've been doing this all year and have seen a huge improvement in my listening skills (I'm currently at A2) because they speak so quickly on the news that when you listen to the actual exam it seems much slower and easier to understand.
iFailure
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Claros)
I agree with the other users, definitely do past reading papers as it will give you an idea of what they expect of you in the exam and they will probably reuse some of the unfamiliar vocab in past papers. For listening I suggest listening to the French news on TF1 everyday for 10-15 minutes. I've been doing this all year and have seen a huge improvement in my listening skills (I'm currently at A2) because they speak so quickly on the news that when you listen to the actual exam it seems much slower and easier to understand.
thanks really appreciate your response

Btw, i gave my teacher an essay but she didnt give me a grade. She only wrote feedback. I asked her how i did and she said its very good but she never gives me a good. Is it ok if i post my essay here you could possibly grade it? Merci
Claros
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by iFailure)
thanks really appreciate your response

Btw, i gave my teacher an essay but she didnt give me a grade. She only wrote feedback. I asked her how i did and she said its very good but she never gives me a good. Is it ok if i post my essay here you could possibly grade it? Merci
I'll be honest and say that I'm really not that good at giving specific marks and if I did it probably wouldn't be that accurate. You could post it and I could see where I think improvements could be made but I think your teacher would have already done that.

Sorry that I couldn't be of more help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (4)
7.69%
I need help researching courses (5)
9.62%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.77%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
46.15%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (12)
23.08%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
1.92%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.77%

Watched Threads