Student Accomodation as a Mature Student

Watch
DanielSingleton
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi folks.

I'm hoping some of you mature students would be willing to share your own experiences and stories, regarding going into student accommodation (If you went that route), and if you don't mind disclosing it, the age gap between you and your room mates.

I am all set to start my degree in September, and I am super excited. However as a mature student (32 years old), I am slightly apprehensive about moving into student digs. Maybe the stereotypes just have me paranoid, but should I be expecting messy kitchens and piles of unwashed pots, loud music and wild parties?

Private accommodation is not really an option at the moment, money is going to be tight, at least initially until I can secure a new job, and shared accommodation looks much more cost effective.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DanielSingleton)
Hi folks.

I'm hoping some of you mature students would be willing to share your own experiences and stories, regarding going into student accommodation (If you went that route), and if you don't mind disclosing it, the age gap between you and your room mates.

I am all set to start my degree in September, and I am super excited. However as a mature student (32 years old), I am slightly apprehensive about moving into student digs. Maybe the stereotypes just have me paranoid, but should I be expecting messy kitchens and piles of unwashed pots, loud music and wild parties?

Private accommodation is not really an option at the moment, money is going to be tight, at least initially until I can secure a new job, and shared accommodation looks much more cost effective.
Not a mature student but having lived in student accomodation the last few years I can say that yes most student kitchens are messy and halls especially can be very noisy if your living with freshers. However quite often universities have quieter halls or put mature students together. Alternatively you could also look for a houseshare or room in a house with other mature or even postgrad students.
DanielSingleton
Rep:
?
Thanks Jelly.

I have an accommodation tour on Wednesday, so I'll certainly enquire as to whether they offer any form of quiet or mature accommodation.
josh_v
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Maybe the stereotypes just have me paranoid, but should I be expecting messy kitchens and piles of unwashed pots, loud music and wild parties?

Messy kitchens - yes
piles of unwashed pots - yes
loud music - yes
wild parties - yes

Expect all of those things, and be prepared for worse!
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can you afford a houseshare with second/third years, could be a little calmer than halls with 1st years
DanielSingleton
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
Can you afford a houseshare with second/third years, could be a little calmer than halls with 1st years
If I could find some like minded students, then I'd certainly consider it.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If I could find some like minded students, then I'd certainly consider it.
There ll be some out there i m sure
magnitudezero
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well, where will you be going, Dan? I'm approaching 30 and hopefully off to York, but I'm also faced with going into halls, I'm hoping that going for a 51 week let means I'll be put with other mature students.

edit - nvm see you're off to Huddersfield!
LRE
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Email your university to see what options are available for mature students, i'm heading to Portsmouth in sept, like you i'm a bit apprehensive about living in halls. They said they try to put mature students who are living in halls together, i'm sure your university will do the same, they understand mature students don't want to live with 18 year olds and visa versa!
El Scotto
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi folks.

go into shared accommodation - pref on campus. You'll regret it if you don't. Stereotypes are just stereotypes.
Quiet _One86
Badges: 16
Report 5 years ago
Have you thought about looking up on spare room website or air b&b for weekly rates within budget! Are you travelling far to go to university? Good luck with the tour, but as pointed out - look for maturer students blocks and see if you can get in touch with fellow classmates and where they're gonna live and see if they'd be keen to share with you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
JadeO12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I stayed in student accommodation for a bit and I ended up in the post-grad area and it was common for mature undergrads to live there with the post-grad students. Maybe ask about that?
andiewithanie
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm in halls at the moment. As I'd not been to the Uni before accepting I did a bit of homework on the college I applied to and chose the one which traditionally catered for mature and local students. Then when it came to choosing accomodation I went for the self catered site rather than catered, and asked if I could be with other mature students. My accom is like a flat with 6 bedrooms and a shared kitchen/dining area, and it's in a block which the post grads are typically assigned. The other students go form early 20s to 40s (me).

Even though it's expensive I would seriously consider staying in halls the entire 3 years if I could - it's just so hassle free
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by andiewithanie)
Even though it's expensive I would seriously consider staying in halls the entire 3 years if I could - it's just so hassle free
Just a note that it's uncommon outside Oxbridge for uni accommodation to be offered for all three undergrad years. Most unis only have accommodation for first year undergrads, with students going into the private rented sector for second and third years.
Livvy.B
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If mess concerns you please look at sharing with post grads or 3rd years.
I'm 22 not a clean freak at all and I've spent the last year living with people who are pretty cool. We go out often have parties a lot, which suits me, however never in my life have I met people lacking so much in common sense. Throwing rubbish in an unlined bin, leaving cracked eggs on the floor, propping open the front door then not returning for hours, throwing food down the drain and our sink has leafs in it. Dirty dishes are the least of my concerns (In fact they're are almost always clean because if they don't get cleaned it's quite likely that some idiot will break them). My neighbour smokes so much weed that my room stinks of it and are hallway is always smoky. The worst thing is our flat is actually considered one of the most clean ones. And the flatmate with the most common sense is 18 so please dont let age fool you.

You never know you may get lovely clean people but between the room checks, the radiator checks, the water checks, the fire alarm checks, the actual fire alarms, aggressive cleaners, the heating problems, the water problems and people randomly screaming at 5am I would not put myself through this again if I was older. Sorry I don't want this to sound like a horror story I'm glad I went for it, it is definitely life experience but I could run to my new house I'm so happy to be moving out!
linnyloo87
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm hoping to go into accommodation and to hopefully get around the cleanliness issues ive applied for studios which im hoping that since I have mental health problems they will give me. Is anyone actually quite nervous about going into student accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
jambodahibee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm 23 and have applied for halls for September. I previously did the whole halls party all the time live in a tip at 18 and I don't really want to go back quite to that. So I've applied for privately owned halls which RGU leases rooms from which aren't the main halls so hopefully it'll be a better mix of students.

If you apply to the main halls area I can't see it really being any different from the stereotypes. Although you may end up with lovely people and have an awesome experience. There will still be the fire alarms, parties etc. all at inconvenient times to work around.

Posted from TSR Mobile
kgo6
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm planning to go to DMU in September , as a 23 year old single male moving far away from home I'm looking at it as a totally fresh start and have got prices for a 52 week let on a studio to myself
Not much more than sharing with people

I do feel like I might miss out on meeting new people initially but I'm hoping part time work and society's will make up for that.

The best approach I found was to call them and tell them you're not really into getting smashed every day and just want some place quite to study

Posted from TSR Mobile
Z4HL
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kgo6)
I'm planning to go to DMU in September , as a 23 year old single male moving far away from home I'm looking at it as a totally fresh start and have got prices for a 52 week let on a studio to myself
Not much more than sharing with people

I do feel like I might miss out on meeting new people initially but I'm hoping part time work and society's will make up for that.

The best approach I found was to call them and tell them you're not really into getting smashed every day and just want some place quite to study

Posted from TSR Mobile
We each has our own needs and tolerance when it comes to social life. I think it is like spices in cooking. We can always add more but hard to reduce without great compromise. I'm leaning towards flats type accommodations or private studios myself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
31.65%
No - I have already returned home (20)
12.66%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
20.89%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.86%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25.95%

Watched Threads