The Student Room Group

Why does MS Word always want to put a comma before 'which'?

In every sentence I get the green underline and it wants me to put a comma before 'which'. Is this grammatically correct?
Yes, Word is correct. If you don't have a comma, it should be 'that'
Original post by *Interrobang*
Yes, Word is correct. If you don't have a comma, it should be 'that'

But sometimes it looks unnecessary. Will it look like poor grammar if I ever do not have a comma? I am thinking of sentences that already have a number of commas and adding a further one for which makes it look a bit excessive:

A comma before which seems a bit unnecessary above.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lady Comstock
But sometimes it looks unnecessary. Will it look like poor grammar if I ever do not have a comma? I am thinking of sentences that already have a number of commas and adding a further one for which makes it look a bit excessive:

A comma before which seems a bit unnecessary above.

I'm guessing this is part of your PS? You shouldn't post any of it on a public forum. That sentence is untidy and tbh if it is for your PS isn't really necessary. The 'particularly...' bit certainly isn't needed and the link between stamina and physical stuff is obvious and unnecessary

And if you read it aloud to yourself you will see that it doesn't work without a comma before 'which'
I'm guessing this is part of your PS? You shouldn't post any of it on a public forum. That sentence is untidy and tbh if it is for your PS isn't really necessary. The 'particularly...' bit certainly isn't needed and the link between stamina and physical stuff is obvious and unnecessary

And if you read it aloud to yourself you will see that it doesn't work without a comma before 'which'

No, not at all. I made that up; I don't play any sports apart from going to the gym haha.

I have completed job applications with similar sentences (relating to job tasks) and just wondered about comma placement.

Also, when would you not put a comma before which? Or is it pretty much the rule?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lady Comstock
No, not at all. I made that up; I don't play any sports apart from going to the gym haha.

I have completed job applications with similar sentences (relating to job tasks) and just wondered about comma placement.

Also, when would you not put a comma before which? Or is it pretty much the rule?

OK, well I edited it out just in case. And the rule is that 'which' requires a comma before it
OK, well I edited it out just in case. And the rule is that 'which' requires a comma before it

Thanks.

I posted this also: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3290377

In case you have a moment. Just trying to wash away lingering grammatical problems I have.

Quick Reply

Latest