The Student Room Group

Income assessed finance when both parents live abroad

[INDENT]Hi! I am currently in my 2nd year of a 4 year course and had previously received non-income assessed finance, but my loan does not stretch very far at all, and my mum cannot afford to support me.

Its quite a long story but the condensed version is that my mum is a UK/Nigerian dual citizen who was born and raised in England, she moved to Nigeria at 18 and married my dad. They split up in 2001 (i am unsure if she actually has divorce papers as this happened in Nigeria) and she and I moved back to England. We lived together until 2004, but because she lost her job and was unemployed for a long while, she moved back to Nigeria and I moved in with my Aunt (she does not support me) and later to boarding school.

So what will I/she need to provide to show that we have both been estranged from my dad for 14 years and that she does not earn enough to support me? (She earns in Nigerian Naira). When she lived/worked in England she had her NI number (it will hopefully show that she wasnt earning very much here) and we lived in a council house (She has misplaced almost all those bills though).

Hi there.

Your mother will need to give us her income in the 13/14 tax year. If this was earned in Nigeria then we'll need to see evidence of any income she gained whilst there. Your mother would need to supply some form of evidence to show she is separated/divorced, normally from a solicitor.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest