• Post-production
  • Using conventions from real media texts

1(b) Evaluate one of your media productions in relation to:

• Genre
  • Narrative
  • Representation
  • Audience
  • Media language

I wanted to prepare all my essay answers for Section A: 1(a) and 1(b) a really long time ago but I didn't.

If anyone has prepared their essay answers, please share?
turiga28
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am doing the exam,which one do you think will come up?
wtfamidoing
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Creativity has never came up for 1(a); so I have a feeling that might come up. Also media language and genre have only come up once in the past for 1(b).
tellmeimmageek
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by wtfamidoing)
Creativity has never came up for 1(a); so I have a feeling that might come up. Also media language and genre have only come up once in the past for 1(b).
What would you write about for Creativity, though?
studdybuddy101
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by wtfamidoing)
(Original post by tellmeimmageek)
What would you write about for Creativity, though?
They have put creativity before but just not on its own, and I don't think they ever would, would not make sense on its own. What are you guys doing for section B? I am doing Post modernism which I am pretty much teaching myself :/
Zoelingua
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What would you write for media language? My teacher briefly went over it in the lesson, but I'm still really confused about it.

For Section B we're doing something to do with Regulation(?) can't remember the exact title of it.... But we're comparing the Film industry with the Video Game industry.

Anyone else doing that for Section B???

Also, I can scan in an essay for Section A (it got around a B) and have a few for Section B on Regulation if anyone is interested (again, at a B).
studdybuddy101
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Zoelingua)
What would you write for media language? My teacher briefly went over it in the lesson, but I'm still really confused about it.
For media language, you basically treat you coursework like the AS exam, where you looked at the micro elements, denotations and connotations of whatever you made. How does your close up shot create meaning and so on,,, You have to look at the micro elements which are 1)Camera shots and movement 2)Editing 3)Mise-en-scene 4)Sound and I think 5)Lighting?

You also have to address theory, in a way what I already said is part of the theory of semiotics. You can also talk about how specific shots can link to other theories such as a downwards pan of a woman's body can link to Male Gaze theory. I am bit stuck with theories for this one so if anyone can think of any let me know but media language in itself and all the meaning created through your choice micro elements are a theory as I said before so it should be enough.
Zoelingua
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by studdybuddy101)
For media language, you basically treat you coursework like the AS exam, where you looked at the micro elements, denotations and connotations of whatever you made. How does your close up shot create meaning and so on,,, You have to look at the micro elements which are 1)Camera shots and movement 2)Editing 3)Mise-en-scene 4)Sound and I think 5)Lighting?

You also have to address theory, in a way what I already said is part of the theory of semiotics. You can also talk about how specific shots can link to other theories such as a downwards pan of a woman's body can link to Male Gaze theory. I am bit stuck with theories for this one so if anyone can think of any let me know but media language in itself and all the meaning created through your choice micro elements are a theory as I said before so it should be enough.
Thank you so much for this! Will have a look through my folder tomorrow and find some stuff for theories.

Would it be stuff like Todorov (disequilibrium/equilibrium), Barthes (hermeneutic/enigma code) too? Like, for example, we edited out trailer in accordance to Todorov's narrative theory in order for it to be a realistic depiction of a horror trailer? And as for Barthes, we included a prop which concealed an important part of the plot by positioning the camera in such a way that the audience remain unable to see what is being hidden?
studdybuddy101
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Zoelingua)
Thank you so much for this! Will have a look through my folder tomorrow and find some stuff for theories.

Would it be stuff like Todorov (disequilibrium/equilibrium), Barthes (hermeneutic/enigma code) too? Like, for example, we edited out trailer in accordance to Todorov's narrative theory in order for it to be a realistic depiction of a horror trailer? And as for Barthes, we included a prop which concealed an important part of the plot by positioning the camera in such a way that the audience remain unable to see what is being hidden?
I don't think narratives theories will really work because I don't think it counts as 'media language' - well my understanding of it anyways.

However, Barthes yes - I remember that is one of the ones my teacher said to use, so how your camera angle/costume/dialogue had created an enigma or action code etc.
Zoelingua
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't think narratives theories will really work because I don't think it counts as 'media language' - well my understanding of it anyways.

However, Barthes yes - I remember that is one of the ones my teacher said to use, so how your camera angle/costume/dialogue had created an enigma or action code etc.
Thanks for clarifying that

Will pass it on the my classmates and stuff as we're all pretty clueless about what to write!
Ysiberi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For media language you can write about any of the other concepts (genre, narrative, representation and audience). Think of it as a summary sort of question, as long as you have the evidence to accurately apply the theories to your piece then you can talk about any of them. For example in my practice essay for media language I broke my product into SMEC (Sound, Mise-en-scene, Editing, Camera positioning and angles) discussed this then used Ferdinand de Saussure's theory of semiotics to discuss how I represented class, age, gender, ethnicity and sexuality of my protagonists. I also incorporated Todorov's narrative theory to my product through discussing editing. You can talk about Levi-Strauss 'Binary Opposites', Christian Metz's theory of genre - your product may be a deconstruction or a classic example of genre, you can use editing or mise-en-scene to prove this etc...

My media language essay got an A grade. Hope this helps...
atxya
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
does anyone know what came up in 2014? i know post production came up but what was the other one?
studdybuddy101
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by atxya)
does anyone know what came up in 2014? i know post production came up but what was the other one?
My teacher said genre came up in the other part
studdybuddy101
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Even though genre has already come up... can anyone please tell me a couple of theories that I would apply. It is the only one I am not that confident on.

Thank you

Also does anyone know how many theories you need to put in section 1b, if you are aiming for an A*? I have been planning my answers with 4/5 theories. But my friend just said you need 5 minimum for an A? Is this true sounds a bit excessive? Especially if I am writing detailed paragraphs with 4?

For example for narrative I am using just : Toderov, Propps, Bathes and Shklovsky. Is this enough for full marks?
atxya
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Even though genre has already come up... can anyone please tell me a couple of theories that I would apply. It is the only one I am not that confident on.

Thank you

Also does anyone know how many theories you need to put in section 1b, if you are aiming for an A*? I have been planning my answers with 4/5 theories. But my friend just said you need 5 minimum for an A? Is this true sounds a bit excessive? Especially if I am writing detailed paragraphs with 4?

For example for narrative I am using just : Toderov, Propps, Bathes and Shklovsky. Is this enough for full marks?
yep you only need a minimum of 5 for an A, you can do more if you want to, also make sure you are analysing the paragraphs well
studdybuddy101
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by atxya)
yep you only need a minimum of 5 for an A, you can do more if you want to, also make sure you are analysing the paragraphs well
Wow my teacher has not told us this at all. He even said for genre that we only need one theory...

So just to be clear, if I only use 4 theories the highest I can get is a B?
Can I ask where it says this? because it doesn't say 5 in the specification or the examiners report?

Thanks
atxya
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wow my teacher has not told us this at all. He even said for genre that we only need one theory...

So just to be clear, if I only use 4 theories the highest I can get is a B?
Can I ask where it says this? because it doesn't say 5 in the specification or the examiners report?

Thanks
yeah probably. my teacher has given me examiner reports with module answers that are A grade and most examiner reports say 'this student has used todorov's, propps, andrew goodwin, etc theories consistently and have therefore achieved a high level..etc'

i don't think you'll find one that specifically says '5 theories' but it's good to use a range of them as it shows your knowledge to the examiner and your way of applying them to your product
walmart182
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ysiberi)
For media language you can write about any of the other concepts (genre, narrative, representation and audience). Think of it as a summary sort of question, as long as you have the evidence to accurately apply the theories to your piece then you can talk about any of them. For example in my practice essay for media language I broke my product into SMEC (Sound, Mise-en-scene, Editing, Camera positioning and angles) discussed this then used Ferdinand de Saussure's theory of semiotics to discuss how I represented class, age, gender, ethnicity and sexuality of my protagonists. I also incorporated Todorov's narrative theory to my product through discussing editing. You can talk about Levi-Strauss 'Binary Opposites', Christian Metz's theory of genre - your product may be a deconstruction or a classic example of genre, you can use editing or mise-en-scene to prove this etc...

My media language essay got an A grade. Hope this helps...
if you dont mind could you go over the structure you used like the order you used
please
walmart182
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
my teacher thinks for section b either media language or audiences will come up
Ysiberi
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by walmart182)
if you dont mind could you go over the structure you used like the order you used
please
I basically did short introduction defining what media language was (that it's the producer's way of creating meaning within a certain medium). I then outlined the production I was going to discuss using media language and then stated which theorists and concepts I would use to further illustrate that.

First paragraph was basically a breakdown of the S.M.E.C. aspects of my product. So I gave an example of an establishing shot of a location I used, I then stated that I used a binary opposite shot of a new location which was much darker than the first. I continued to discuss how this was a concept brought about by the theorist Levi-Strauss and discussed how it added and affected the overall narrative of my media production. I then used this to link it to Todorov's theory, discussed the 5 stages of narrative, gave examples from my product to evidence each stage and made sure I noted the type of camera angles/editing techniques I used to explicitly show to the audience that there was a process within my production.

For the second paragraph I spoke about how my production (Music Video) required sound, a typical form and convention. Furthered this by discussing the song I chose, why I chose it and how it linked to the narrative of the production. I used the idea of close up camera angles to evidence this and also spoke about what each of the 'characters' in my production were wearing to further suggest it was a music video. I then used this to talk about the signs etc discussed by Ferdinand de Saussure. Used the CAGE of Identity (Class, Age, Gender, Ethnicity) in detail and added in Laura Mulvey's theory of the 'Male Gaze' plus an example to further show knowledge of my product, theorists and media language.

I then concluded by discussing how my product suited a classic model discussed by Christian Metz as most music videos follow an integrated narrative and performance structure which I did by establishing scenes with a male lip-syncing to the song (performance) and flashbacks etc to him and a female together (Narrative). I noted that my audience would actively consume my product for their own personal and social desires and benefit (Uses and Gratification Theory), also added in about the Reception Theory, how my audience may really enjoy my product, learn one thing the first time they view, another thing the second time, for example the thing previously discussed about CAGE. I also discussed how once my product was uploaded onto YouTube my audience could be subject to the Stimulus Response theory via the use of autoplay or the recommendation bar, thus they would be seen as passive as they consume without care or retaliation. Then I just added a line at the end saying how I have successfully been able to deconstruct and analyse my product using a range of media language and through the concepts and theories of media experts.

I hope this is the kind of explanation you were after?? My best advice to you is that when it comes to structuring the essay use the PETAL analogy

Point - SMEC
Example - Chose a scene from your production
Theorist - To further your chosen point
Analysis - Analyse how the SMEC and/or the theorist can be applied to your product, what it does for your product and how your audience would react to it
Link - Either to another theory to further develop this point and show off to the examiner, or give another example from your production which illustrates the point you're trying to make

Also I'd just like to add that this is what the examiners expect from candidates to get a Level 4:

Level 4 (21–25 marks)Candidates demonstrate a clear understanding of representation (Or Given Concept) and relevantmedia theory and can relate concepts articulately to the production outcome,describing specific elements in relation to theoretical ideas about how mediatexts are constructed as narratives. Candidates offer a range of specific, relevant,interesting and clear examples of how their product can be understood in relationto relevant theories of representation. The use of conceptual language is excellent.Complex issues have been expressed clearly and fluently using a style of writingappropriate to the complex subject matter. Sentences and paragraphs, consistentlyrelevant, have been well structured, using appropriate technical terminology. Theremay be few, if any, errors of spelling, punctuation and grammar.

I've never been told that you have to add in 4/5 theorists in order to get an A, I've written practice essays for all the concepts for 1B, using between 2 and 5 theories to explain my work and have gotten A grades in all of them (marks ranging from 21/25 to 25/25).

Questions 1a and 1b are there for you to show the examiner you know your production well, and can show a progression of skills and understanding by discussing them in tems of the technology etc you've used and by using media theorists. So long as you give relevant examples and write it in a coherent manner with reference and explicit explanation of the theories you are using to explain your production, you will gain the high marks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (150)
51.72%
No (140)
48.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise