The Student Room Group

Wronskian and linear independence

These are from "An introduction to Linear Analysis" - Kreider, Kuller, Ostberg, Perkins:

1. "Theorem 3-4.

The functions y1,,yny_1, \cdots, y_n are linearly independent in .. C(I)C(I), whenever their Wronskian is *not* identically zero on II"

Fair enough. This is fine. I know the proof. (Here II is an interval of R\mathbb{R}.)

Now we have:

2. "Theorem 3-6

A set of solutions of a normal nth-order homogeneous linear DE is linearly independent in C(I)C(I), and hence is a basis for the solution space of the equation, if and only if its Wronskian *never* vanishes on II"

Now perhaps I'm just being thick, but these seem to be in contradiction to each other. It's been so long since I studied this stuff that I can't remember the exact result I learnt, and the reasoning in KKOP amounts to a single line when presenting this result, and I don't follow it.

Can anyone clarify this? The only way I can interpret this meaningfully is that Theorem 3-6 is saying that a set of l.i. functions will only satisfy the *additional* requirement that they be a set of solutions to a n-th order DE if their Wronskian never vanishes.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by atsruser
Can anyone clarify this? The only way I can interpret this meaningfully is that Theorem 3-6 is saying that a set of l.i. functions will only satisfy the *additional* requirement that they be a set of solutions to a n-th order DE if their Wronskian never vanishes.

Yep, that seems right to me. I don't really see what further clarification is needed :P
Reply 2
Original post by Smaug123
Yep, that seems right to me. I don't really see what further clarification is needed :P

To my rapidly fading mental faculties, the result seemed to be slightly surprising (probably because I've forgotten it) - it's saying that linear independence of a set of functions isn't enough to allow it to be the basis of the solution space of a linear DE, no? That strikes me as somewhat counter-intuitive.

[edit:]
(edited 9 years ago)
To my rapidly fading mental faculties, the result seemed to be slightly surprising (probably because I've forgotten it) - it's saying that linear independence of a set of functions isn't enough to allow it to be the basis of the solution space of a linear DE, no? That strikes me as somewhat counter-intuitive.

[edit:]

Well, xx2x \mapsto x^2 isn't the basis of a solution space to any linear ODE, is it, despite being linearly independent? No homogeneous ODE exists whose solutions are y(x)=Ax2y(x) = A x^2. Unless I'm being really silly?
Reply 4
Well, xx2x \mapsto x^2 isn't the basis of a solution space to any linear ODE, is it, despite being linearly independent? No homogeneous ODE exists whose solutions are y(x)=Ax2y(x) = A x^2. Unless I'm being really silly?

I think that's right though I'm not actually sure how to prove it (I note that {x,x2}\{x,x^2\} is a basis for the solns of d3ydx3=0\frac{d^3y}{dx^3}=0 and that seems the only possible DE it *could* work for - I think).

But then how do you find the Wronskian of a single function? I've only ever seen it defined for > 2. By determinant theory, I would have thought that W[x2]=x2W[x^2] = x^2 which is never zero over, say, [1,2][1,2] so by that argument it *would* be the basis for an homogeneous ODE, if I'm reading Theorem 3-6 right.
I think that's right though I'm not actually sure how to prove it (I note that {x,x2}\{x,x^2\} is a basis for the solns of d3ydx3=0\frac{d^3y}{dx^3}=0 and that seems the only possible DE it *could* work for - I think).

But then how do you find the Wronskian of a single function? I've only ever seen it defined for > 2. By determinant theory, I would have thought that W[x2]=x2W[x^2] = x^2 which is never zero over, say, [1,2][1,2] so by that argument it *would* be the basis for an homogeneous ODE, if I'm reading Theorem 3-6 right.

Sounds plausible. Maybe it is. Uurgh :P
Reply 6
Sounds plausible. Maybe it is. Uurgh :P

I'm somewhat confused about this now. Maybe a little more googling is in order. This seems to be more subtle than I recall.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

No trending threads to show

Trending

No trending threads to show