The Student Room Group

'academics stand against poverty' audit of manifestos

Wondered what y'all thought of http://ukpovertyaudit.org/ 's audit of the main parties manifesto's (posted link below).

http://ukpovertyaudit.org/assets/2015_ELECTION_MANIFESTO_POVERTY_AUDIT.pdf
Some of it is complete rubbish.

Some excerpts from the PDF:

* On Money and Banking, the Greens scored highly for their radical proposals on financial reform focused on addressing inequalities. :lolwut:

* On Immigration, the Greens score highly, with their consideration of the need for migrants to have a family life making their policies socially sustainable in the long run :rolleyes:
phew, glad someone replied, i was quickly becoming a laughing stock!!

why are they 'rubbish' points?
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
Some of it is complete rubbish.

Some excerpts from the PDF:

* On Money and Banking, the Greens scored highly for their radical proposals on financial reform focused on addressing inequalities. :lolwut:

Maybe it is because they are more competent on the economy than people give them credit for. Iceland are thinking about doing it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11507810/Iceland-looks-at-ending-boom-and-bust-with-radical-money-plan.html

"celand’s government is considering a revolutionary monetary proposal removing the power of commercial banks to create money and handing it to the central bank. The proposal, which would be a turnaround in the history of modern finance…The key idea is a new Sovereign Monetary System, where only the central bank is responsible for money creation. The idea makes sense…Separating the creation of money and allocation of money powers could safeguard against excessive credit creation, and reduce incentives for commercial banks to create more credit to make private gains…Iceland’s proposal is worth exploring." - Torygraph

But I'm sure osborne with his GCSE in maths knows more about the economy.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Maybe it is because they are more competent on the economy than people give them credit for [....]
But I'm sure osborne with his GCSE in maths knows more about the economy.

I know, i agree with this sentiment The attempts to mock the greens have been pretty revealing by the predictable structure of the response ('wouldn't work!' - as if political will doesn't impact anything).

Anyway there's a nice paragraph on p.45 of that report (on and applying to the section on the environment but widely applicable I think) that says:

Furthermore, it is probably fair to say that the more a manifesto engaged with thecomplexity of a given issue, the harder it was to present clear and credible solutions. Atthe same time, this is better than manifestos that simply ignored complexity, andarrived at policies that were largely out of touch with reality.

And this is a premise I agree with wholeheartedly. I support a political party that is doing good thinking and trying to work that into action than a party that discards the hard intellectual labour required and comes up with short-term, easy so-called 'solutions'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending