Product design (loughborough vs edinburgh)

Watch
demoliar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
SO. I am a British/Thai Halfie studying the IB (International Baccalaureate) in Bangkok. I have applied and received 5 offers for BA Product Design (courses with varying names) from Northumbria, Nottingham Trent, Brunel, but more importantly, my top choices, Loughborough and Edinburgh.

Offers are all CONDITIONAL, and in terms of difficulty in me achieving this conditions, I rank them as follows:
1. Edinburgh, 2. Loughborough. 3 Brunel 4. Nottingham Trent, 5. Northumbria

I am definitely going to FIRM ACCEPT Edinburgh or Loughborough, and definitely NOT both, so I would just like to open this question and hopefully get some help with this because honestly I have no idea what I am going to do and have been back and forth multiple times.

Thanks!
Loughborough University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by demoliar)
SO. I am a British/Thai Halfie studying the IB (International Baccalaureate) in Bangkok. I have applied and received 5 offers for BA Product Design (courses with varying names) from Northumbria, Nottingham Trent, Brunel, but more importantly, my top choices, Loughborough and Edinburgh.

Offers are all CONDITIONAL, and in terms of difficulty in me achieving this conditions, I rank them as follows:

I am definitely going to FIRM ACCEPT Edinburgh or Loughborough, and definitely NOT both, so I would just like to open this question and hopefully get some help with this because honestly I have no idea what I am going to do and have been back and forth multiple times.

Thanks!
Hi demoliar

It really is a tough choice, especially when you're so far away.

Obviously I'd say choose Loughborough - but then I might be a bit biased!

In all seriousness, (and you've probably done this already) you need to really compare the 2. The course is easy to compare when you can look at modules, teaching, if there is an offer of a placement year etc. It's all the other stuff that adds to creating a great student experience. At the end of the day, you're studying for a good few years, so you have to be happy wherever you choose.

For instance, if you want the be in the middle of a big city and experience city-life, Edinburgh is simply amazing. Loughborough is close to Nottingham and Leicester, but it is town and rather than a city.
If you want a campus uni where everything is in one place, Loughborough's campus is outstanding and nothing is far away, Edinburgh has 5 campus areas.

You also need to look at employability, cost of living, extra-curricular activities on offer and anything else you can think of that's important to you.

For student experience, we've just won WhatUni University of the Year, Best Students's Union and Best Accommodation for 2015. This was entirely voted for by the students, so it's a totally unbiased view.

That's probably not helped much, and hopefully someone from the course will come along with their views.

If you've got any specific questions I can help with let me know, in the meantime, it really doesn't matter what anyone says, you've got to make the decision that makes you happy.

Vicky
Pete11235
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Thanks!
Hey! I am also doing the IB course in Bangkok! But am fully Thai. I didn't apply to Edinburgh but I firmed Loughborough and chose Brunel as safety. I didn't really look into Edinburgh but, I firmed lboro because of their design school had just been rebuilt and the facility looks really and their placement program is supposed to be really good. I also chose lboro because I am a big sports guy and it's only 90 mins away from London but that's just me
demoliar
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Pete11235)
Hey! I am also doing the IB course in Bangkok! But am fully Thai. I didn't apply to Edinburgh but I firmed Loughborough and chose Brunel as safety. I didn't really look into Edinburgh but, I firmed lboro because of their design school had just been rebuilt and the facility looks really and their placement program is supposed to be really good. I also chose lboro because I am a big sports guy and it's only 90 mins away from London but that's just me
oh wow thats such a coincidence! what school do you go to? yeah, after making a pros and cons list i got down to that too, only difference being that i live in quite a remote area right now and i dont think i can bear with that any more, so i think i need a city, like edinburgh :/

also in my opinion (and many others), edinburgh as a university has a better reputation, as well as being more well known in general

ive decided to wait it out though, and not firm/insure anything till after my IB exams because my deadline is in june
Pete11235
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
oh wow thats such a coincidence! what school do you go to? yeah, after making a pros and cons list i got down to that too, only difference being that i live in quite a remote area right now and i dont think i can bear with that any more, so i think i need a city, like edinburgh :/

also in my opinion (and many others), edinburgh as a university has a better reputation, as well as being more well known in general

ive decided to wait it out though, and not firm/insure anything till after my IB exams because my deadline is in june
I go to Regent's, how about you? Yea Edinburgh is probably more reputable as an overall University but I think for the design course Lboro might be more reputable? Idk :/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (103)
60.95%
No (66)
39.05%

Watched Threads