The Student Room Group

Reasons why people repeat year 12?

Why do people repeat year 12? Warning lol this is going to sound ignorant but I thought it was because they failed their AS exams but realised how stupid that mentality was. Some of my friends are repeats but they have grades such as CDDC or DDD and a E grade is a pass. There are people in A2 with those grades who just re-sat some exams. So my question is, what does it take for someone to resit year 12? I thought U grades meant repeating but it seems that there are other reasons.
In case things go bad, lol praying not. Say if I got DDD would I have to repeat AS? Or could I just sit modules in A2 or maybe take a gap year or something. I don't want to do medicine or anything. At the moment I'm still trying to find myself. I'm interested in engineering but I'm not passionate about it.

Scroll to see replies

You could resit the modules.

I retook my AS year because I wanted to change my subjects.
Original post by Cherry82
Why do people repeat year 12? Warning lol this is going to sound ignorant but I thought it was because they failed their AS exams but realised how stupid that mentality was. Some of my friends are repeats but they have grades such as CDDC or DDD and a E grade is a pass. There are people in A2 with those grades who just re-sat some exams. So my question is, what does it take for someone to resit year 12? I thought U grades meant repeating but it seems that there are other reasons.
In case things go bad, lol praying not. Say if I got DDD would I have to repeat AS? Or could I just sit modules in A2 or maybe take a gap year or something. I don't want to do medicine or anything. At the moment I'm still trying to find myself. I'm interested in engineering but I'm not passionate about it.

Some schools don't allow you to progress to Year 13 without grade Cs.

With the change in funding, I think this might not be allowed in future.
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
Some schools don't allow you to progress to Year 13 without grade Cs.

With the change in funding, I think this might not be allowed in future.

I don't think that's entirely true. There are people with DDDD at A2 so maybe it's sixth forms who have these polices as I have heard of people being kicked out for not receiving the required grades but there are places where all you need is an E grade to enter A2.
I don't think that's entirely true. There are people with DDDD at A2 so maybe it's sixth forms who have these polices as I have heard of people being kicked out for not receiving the required grades but there are places where all you need is an E grade to enter A2.

It is true in a number of school near me - some ask for 3 grade Ds and some for 3 grade Cs to progress to Year 13 - or you are chucked out.
Original post by Johann von Gauss
As in, not allowed to redo the year, or not allowed to progress to Year 13 without Cs?

Check on your school's policy - it would be in the Sixth Form prospectus.
Because resitting exams, while having to study the A2 modules is often too much for a lot of people. You're essentially being required to study a whole A-level in a year. Much easier to just resit, work a lot harder, get good AS grades.
Its usually a choice not something the school made them do. Its extremley hard top re-sit ALL of your exams alongside A2s and if they didnt get great grades in the first place, they probably wont when they have to do double the exams. If the uni/course they want has high entry requirements they have to resit. some people want to be dentists or medics so have to resit to get all As not because their stupid, but because straight As are really hard.
Reply 8
Check on your school's policy - it would be in the Sixth Form prospectus.

Ours we need three E grades but can you get offers with those?
Reply 9
Original post by Conzy210
Because resitting exams, while having to study the A2 modules is often too much for a lot of people. You're essentially being required to study a whole A-level in a year. Much easier to just resit, work a lot harder, get good AS grades.

I understand, wait is A2 really that hard. I'm not trying to underestimate A2 but I don't think I really understand how much harder it is.
I understand, wait is A2 really that hard. I'm not trying to underestimate A2 but I don't think I really understand how much harder it is.

I didn't find it that much harder if my memory serves me correctly but if you're studying twice the number of modules ultimately you need to work much harder to achieve your goals. 8 exams in summer opposed to only 4 I'm sure would have affected my performance, which I feel is natural.
Reply 11
Original post by CocoBandicoot
Its usually a choice not something the school made them do. Its extremley hard top re-sit ALL of your exams alongside A2s and if they didnt get great grades in the first place, they probably wont when they have to do double the exams. If the uni/course they want has high entry requirements they have to resit. some people want to be dentists or medics so have to resit to get all As not because their stupid, but because straight As are really hard.

Oh I thought the school decides for you? So it's a decision you make on your own if you pass. What would you say for those who don't want to be medics or dentists? I'm trying to decide what to do if I got grades such as CCC or DDD. I'm not interested in medicine but engineering a little and I actually wouldn't mind what I study in university at the moment. My real passion isn't school based but would like a degree and a job for the time being.
Ours we need three E grades but can you get offers with those?

I doubt if you would get an offer from a university for a degree - you might get a Foundation year offer - typically they need DD at A2.
Reply 13
I doubt if you would get an offer from a university for a degree - you might get a Foundation year offer - typically they need DD at A2.

Ah ok. Thanks
I got BBCU, I repeated to change my subjects, I didn't like my overall grades and I didn't want to continue the subjects I was doing
Ah ok. Thanks

As a female student, you might get a lowish offer for Engineering as they are trying to encourage more girls to get into this - it's actually an advantage to be a woman in this field!
I'm resitting year 12 after getting CDD last year. My school were happy for me to continue onto A2 but I didn't think I'd cope with double the amount of exams and I'd prefer to have decent AS grades when I apply to uni. My decision to resit was also slightly influenced by me having extenuating circumstances last year which caused me to miss a lot of school meaning that I didn't feel I had a good enough understanding of the AS content to move onto A2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My 6th form required at least a D to take the subject to A2. Some people want to change their subjects or have better grades to apply to the university that they want to go to. I know someone my age who is doing Year 12 for the third time though, I can't explain that.
Reply 18
As a female student, you might get a lowish offer for Engineering as they are trying to encourage more girls to get into this - it's actually an advantage to be a woman in this field!

LOL I doubt this. I'm sure that is a form of some sort of sexism or prejudice belief even if positive or an advantage haha. I wouldn't complain at all but I'm sure others will.
LOL I doubt this. I'm sure that is a form of some sort of sexism or prejudice belief even if positive or an advantage haha. I wouldn't complain at all but I'm sure others will.

It's true - there is a 'campaign' called W.I.S.E (women into science and engineering) - a few of my female ex-students have benefited from low offers.

http://www.wisecampaign.org.uk/

Quick Reply

Latest