MrHarry
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi there! Just quickly, I'm revising and I'm struggling to differentiate Nucleotides and Proteins, which are the monomers of Nucleic acids? Some exam boards have proteins and vice versa. Thanks.

oh also, on an unrelated note during exercise does the heart pump more blood or the same amount of blood just more rigorously? I'm confused as im pretty sure RBCs take 3 weeks to mature - and I'm not sure how they can spontaneously be made during high conditions of metabolic activity... Many thanks!
ionically
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nucleotides are the monomers of nucleic acids. Amino acids are the monomers of proteins. I can see why there might be some confusion, as nucleotides are partially made up of amino acid derivatives.

The same amount of blood is pumped more rigorously via increased heart rate when exercising. This results in the haemoglobin in red blood cells being able to become oxygenated at a faster rate as they are pumped through the pulmonary artery. As you said, red blood cell generation (erythropoiesis) takes weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (22)
24.72%
No (67)
75.28%

Watched Threads