The Student Room Group

UK engineering student looking to work in the USA over the summer

I am just about to finish the 4th year of my MEng degree in electrical engineering (still 5th to do) and I'm interested in working in somewhere like California for around 3 months over the summer but don't have any idea of how to go about this

The first semester of the final year of my degree requires either a 6 months engineering work placement or a 3 months university project (this would give me 3 months summer holiday). I haven't been successful in finding an engineering placement in the UK either because there has been too much competition or companies are being sloppy as they don't seem to care about interns just graduates. Also since I'm aiming to work in the energy/power industry most of the companies including oil and gas aren't taking interns this year because of the fall in oil prices

I have the option of applying to work in a local factory or Tesco, but it seems like a waste after basically having a BEng degree

Does anyone know how to go about finding work abroad like the USA? Preferably it would relate to my skills in engineering but it doesn't have to be as such
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest