The Student Room Group

Edexcel maths/further maths cash in

I am asking this here because it specifically relates to my maths exams.

Last year I sat Further Maths and Maths, this year I am resitting Maths. I want one of my units from Further Maths to replace a Maths unit I did previously. I am currently entered for all the units I wish to sit again (including the unit I want swapped), and my exams officer has asked for a Maths cash in.

Will I also need a cash in for Further Maths? I am entered for the unit (M1) which I would like to move to Maths and replace S1 (which I am not entered for). Will this be automatic? I have asked my exams officer but they simply do not know and so here I am.

The other thing I have to ask, is assuming all my units are once again free to move around, will they automatically be arranged to give me the best possible maths grade, even if it means failing Further Maths? (which I have already passed but whose units I am not resitting, moving this unit will mean a U).

If no one can answer this, could someone point me in the right direction, given that my exams officer does not know I am feeling rather lost, and am tempted to even contact edexcel themselves, if that would be worthwhile.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Original post by mapr15
I am asking this here because it specifically relates to my maths exams.

Last year I sat Further Maths and Maths, this year I am resitting Maths. I want one of my units from Further Maths to replace a Maths unit I did previously. I am currently entered for all the units I wish to sit again (including the unit I want swapped), and my exams officer has asked for a Maths cash in.

Will I also need a cash in for Further Maths? I am entered for the unit (M1) which I would like to move to Maths and replace S1 (which I am not entered for). Will this be automatic? I have asked my exams officer but they simply do not know and so here I am.

The other thing I have to ask, is assuming all my units are once again free to move around, will they automatically be arranged to give me the best possible maths grade, even if it means failing Further Maths? (which I have already passed but whose units I am not resitting, moving this unit will mean a U).

If no one can answer this, could someone point me in the right direction, given that my exams officer does not know I am feeling rather lost, and am tempted to even contact edexcel themselves, if that would be worthwhile.

Thanks in advance for any help.

If you want the flexibility for units to be automatically moved between further maths and regular maths to maximise your grades then you need to cash in both. There is guidance on the jcq web site.
http://www.jcq.org.uk/Download/exams-office/entries/gce-maths-information/gce-maths-rules---guidance-for-centres
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by gdunne42
If you want the flexibility for units to be automatically moved between further maths and regular maths to maximise your grades then you need to cash in both. There is guidance on the jcq web site.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello, I have been to the JCQ website and found: http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-maths-information/gce-maths-rules---guidance-for-centres

The content seems to be everything I need but it was last updated in 2010 yet is the most recent version I can see, does this sound right?

Finally is there a deadline on cash ins? I have looked on their site but cannot find that information. I will e-mail my exams officer immediately but as an external student I don't have direct access to them.

Regardless this document says it will put a grade combination of A/U above a B/E, which is exactly what I was hoping for. A great deal off my mind (as long as it isn't too late to cash in!)

Thank you
Reply 3
I am the OP (I've had to switch to a new account, long story).

Anyway I have read that link and it seems to give me everything I need, I will be in touch with my exams officer immediately but I am an external student and don't have direct access to them so will have to do it by e-mail.

Could you tell me if there are any deadlines for cash in? I have googled, and also checked the jcq/edexcel websites but could not find this information.

Regardless, the link says it will prioritise A/U grades over B/E, which is exactly what I was looking for! A great weight off my shoulders.
Original post by siickan
I am the OP (I've had to switch to a new account, long story).

Anyway I have read that link and it seems to give me everything I need, I will be in touch with my exams officer immediately but I am an external student and don't have direct access to them so will have to do it by e-mail.

Could you tell me if there are any deadlines for cash in? I have googled, and also checked the jcq/edexcel websites but could not find this information.

Regardless, the link says it will prioritise A/U grades over B/E, which is exactly what I was looking for! A great weight off my shoulders.

Sorry, I don't know for certain if there are any restrictions on when cash in can be requested, in my experience it is normally done when entries are made though I know late cash in is allowed. I'm sure your exams officer will be able to sort it out.

You could contact the user COMPOST who has worked as an exams officer

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending