Is the shine of Oxford falling? Watch

taeht
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Simple questions,

are here any Oxford offer holders that in the end declined the offer and went to another university?

There are many topics about how not prospective the way of learning is, traditions etc. etc. in recent league tables Oxford fell down not even behind Cambridge (as usual) but also behind some following institutions (like Durham, Warwick, St Andrews, Imperial, LSE) in certain subjects obviously (apart from Politics)(Medicine, Mathematics and Physic are also descend I assume) , how you see this point actual Oxford students? Are you happy here?

What is the future of Oxford graduates?

Would you go to study here or somewhere else? (to less ''prestigious'' university like the ones mentioned above)

Thank you for personal opinions.
Noble.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No one cares, or pays attention, to UK league tables. Have a look at how Oxford performed in REF, it was on par (and in fact exceeded in many areas) Cambridge's performance in terms of world-leading research, while pretty much no other university outside of the two came close to performing similarly.
taeht
Rep:
?
(Original post by Noble.)
No one cares, or pays attention, to UK league tables. Have a look at how Oxford performed in REF, it was on par (and in fact exceeded in many areas) Cambridge's performance in terms of world-leading research, while pretty much no other university outside of the two came close to performing similarly.
Well, yes, in REF Oxford scores better, but not too convincingly anyway. Matters REF really that much for and undergraduate student?
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I turned down an Oxford offer and went elsewhere - hated the 'feel' of the place at interview.

I don't think my decision has affected my teaching career.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I personally would love to see a shake up for the system. There have been two dominant Universities for the past 800 years and so while them steadily falling in the league tables would create more alternatives to oxbridge, oxford's rep would still be considered one of the best i think even in our life time.
Arkasia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oxbridge will always have the best reputations simply due to heritage and history. Whether they remain dominant in terms of research quality or in other areas is dependent on funding.
astro67
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oxford and Cambridge are the only two Universities in the UK with sizable endowments which, although small by the standards of the US giants, allow the two ancient institutions to fund extra research facilities (which in turn attracts top quality researchers) and a level of personalised teaching beyond what other universities in the UK can offer. Their standing in research and teaching is essentially the result of this extra funding and entirely justified. It's not based on past glories but on current activities, as the REF demonstrates. No other UK universities (possible exception is the New College of the Humanities which charges £18,000 a year in fees) can afford to deliver one or more weekly tutorials for nearly every student with a typical class size of 2. For the sort of student that responds well to the challenge of this approach (it isn't to everyone's taste), there simply isn't a better option. They aren't going to be matched in the UK any time soon unless there's a major shift in funding arrangements.
taeht
Rep:
?
I mean, yes, nobody could disagree with these financial things. However, my question was on sort of different topic.
Pars12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by taeht)
I mean, yes, nobody could disagree with these financial things. However, my question was on sort of different topic.
I thought you asked

(i) whether Oxford is falling behind other universities

(ii) "What is the future of Oxford graduates? Would you go to study here or somewhere else? (to less ''prestigious'' university like the ones mentioned above)"

You got a financial reasoning why the answer to (i) is no and to (ii) that it makes strategic sense for graduates and postgrads to study at Oxford.

... Seems bang on topic to me.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by taeht)
Is there a topic money isn't relevant to?
HarryW03
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Forever in Brookes' shadow...
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by HarryW03)
Forever in Brookes' shadow...
That is inevitable. Brookes' is on top of a hill.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Baron of Sealand
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by taeht)
Well, yes, in REF Oxford scores better, but not too convincingly anyway. Matters REF really that much for and undergraduate student?
And in what ways do the other league tables matter that much to undergraduates?

Oxford has the best staff-student ratio, the second-lowest dropout rate, the highest good degree rate, second most money spent on students, one of the highest employment rates and graduate salaries, and remain a top target for top firms.

At the same time, the research quality does matter. Oxford is undeniably on top with the REF results and its reputation among academics is top notch globally still. Its ability to attract funding is matched only by Cambridge. All of these are relevant at least to undergraduates who may consider postgraduate studies in the future.
uniqsummer
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by taeht)
Simple questions,

are here any Oxford offer holders that in the end declined the offer and went to another university?

There are many topics about how not prospective the way of learning is, traditions etc. etc. in recent league tables Oxford fell down not even behind Cambridge (as usual) but also behind some following institutions (like Durham, Warwick, St Andrews, Imperial, LSE) in certain subjects obviously (apart from Politics)(Medicine, Mathematics and Physic are also descend I assume) , how you see this point actual Oxford students? Are you happy here?

What is the future of Oxford graduates?

Would you go to study here or somewhere else? (to less ''prestigious'' university like the ones mentioned above)

Thank you for personal opinions.
1. yes people do every year. Oxford isnt for everyone, nor is it trying to be (thats impossible). If students don't connect with the University (for whatever reason) then that is a positive. It means they will have hopefully picked a university they see themselves studying within for 3/4 years and will be much happier as a result and hopefully their grades will be better too!

2. League tables should always be taken with a pinch of salt. But is the Oxford short term way good? most would say no, will it ever change? maybe one day...But again its not as if this aspect is kept secret from prospective students.

3. Whatever they want it to be. Study, work hard, get work experience all whilst at university, leave with a level head and no self-entitlement and you will get a job and go far. Simply expecting things to happen for you because you went to university does not work in the working world.

4. Dependant on the student and their attitudes towards the Oxford system and other universities.
powelsmartin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I declined an Oxford PPE offer for LSE philosophy and economics because I sincerely believe that LSE can offer a better, more progressive and more relevant education in economics that will open more doors. Plus, London is a greater place to live in than Oxford and in itself can offer a myriad of opportunities Oxford would not have even dreamed of.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (147)
17.63%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.87%
No I am happy with my course choice (492)
58.99%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed