The Student Room Group

Some Advice Please

Hi,

I would like some advice if possible, i'm not sure whether im allowed to post this here or not, if not could somebody move it to the relevant board, Thanks.

First a little background information about myself:

I'm currently 19, I've been working as a Web Developer in a workplace since November 2013. I stayed at an Agency for a year and gained some Experience and now i Work in ECommerce.

I may be young but my experience tallys. I started developing when i was 13, due to a poor childhood basically, i'd of rather sat creating something worthwhile on the computer than trouble out on the streets.

I developed and ran my own RPG game with over 200k users from March 2011-November 2013 (When i landed in the Agency)

The Agency job was good but very unprofessional and a lot of stress due to a very small team consisting of 2 devs, I moved on because i was promised the world and got nothing, took 6 months for me to get a contract...

Okay so i started where i am now in December last year so i've been here almost 5 months, not a great deal of time i know.

When i was employed here it was for the purpose of front-end development. They run their ecommerce business through ASP.NET (i have java experience from the RPG so c# isnt a problem) They recently moved over to bootstrap for responsive and ofcourse being a front-end developer i pretty much lead this.

My problem is that I have been here 5 months and my workload is literally non-existant. I feel that my skills here are being wasted and that I would be much better off back in an Agency. I have given it 5 months, my boss notices that I dont have anything on and says he will "find me something" to do but that never happens either, I could be doing stuff to keep myself busy, but i dont see what i'm achieving my coming in at 9am sitting down, writing hours of useless code to recycle at the end of the day.

I've learnt the basics of 2 more languages in the 5months ive been sat here doing nothing.
You will go far - you don't need to worry about anything. If work is not forthcoming at the moment, perhaps it is time to leave and do something else? Their loss!

Since you are so new to the professional world of development, it might be worth putting a bit of thought and planning into your next step. Rather than join another workshop, look around for jobs that are willing to offer a bit of personal development and are looking for people to join for the medium term rather than a monkey to churn out code of dubious quality. There is nothing wrong with the later if the money is good, but there is a lot to learn in the world of development and if you are going to learn on the job instead of going to uni, you might as well be in a place where they take some sort pride in the finished product and the way in which they treat and mentor their junior staff.

All the very best and good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending