Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Really struggling with how to answer questions for the synoptic, our teacher has predicted these three questions:

a) Explain why theArctic region is so important to global systems (12)

b) Evaluate the relativeimportance of the factors that threaten the Arctic ecology and environment (14)

c) Study the three options in Figure 9. Assess the impacts that the threemanagement strategies will have on the future of biodiversity in the region(14)

Anyone have any ideas?? I have attached the synoptic on here, would be much appreciated to hear other people's views

Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Advance Materials Unit 3 Synoptic June 2015.pdf (234.0 KB, 826 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River227)
    Really struggling with how to answer questions for the synoptic, our teacher has predicted these three questions:

a) Explain why theArctic region is so important to global systems (12)

b) Evaluate the relativeimportance of the factors that threaten the Arctic ecology and environment (14)

c) Study the three options in Figure 9. Assess the impacts that the threemanagement strategies will have on the future of biodiversity in the region(14)

Anyone have any ideas?? I have attached the synoptic on here, would be much appreciated to hear other people's views

a) Is pretty tough imo haha

b) I'd use the Figure that has all impact of climate change, over-exploitation and pollution and expand on it with your own knowledge - I did a question similar to this from my teacher and I included loads of synoptic stuff about climate change from Unit 1!

c) Business as usual completely unsustainable but would be profitable in short term

Arctic Framework most sustainable approach, may use idea of Optimum Sustainable Yield (from the Biodiversity Under Threat chapter). Find a balance between economic/environmental problems through quotas and regulation, socially sustainable due to including the indigenous people in the councils. But, may be difficult to get all countries with Arctic territories to sign up to the treaty.

Global Sanctuary is environmentally sustainable but not economically - The resources in the Arctic are too valuable not to exploit a little bit! Also not fully environmentally sustainable as climate change caused by NICs will still cause ice melt, positive albedo effect, etc... Also unrealistic as it's unlikely as countries like the USA and Russia will agree to leave the Arctic alone entirely.

This is what I thought of it, hope this is of some use to you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveUncle)
    a) Is pretty tough imo haha

b) I'd use the Figure that has all impact of climate change, over-exploitation and pollution and expand on it with your own knowledge - I did a question similar to this from my teacher and I included loads of synoptic stuff about climate change from Unit 1!

c) Business as usual completely unsustainable but would be profitable in short term

Arctic Framework most sustainable approach, may use idea of Optimum Sustainable Yield (from the Biodiversity Under Threat chapter). Find a balance between economic/environmental problems through quotas and regulation, socially sustainable due to including the indigenous people in the councils. But, may be difficult to get all countries with Arctic territories to sign up to the treaty.

Global Sanctuary is environmentally sustainable but not economically - The resources in the Arctic are too valuable not to exploit a little bit! Also not fully environmentally sustainable as climate change caused by NICs will still cause ice melt, positive albedo effect, etc... Also unrealistic as it's unlikely as countries like the USA and Russia will agree to leave the Arctic alone entirely.

This is what I thought of it, hope this is of some use to you!
    This is really useful thank you! For a) I am now thinking it could be like describing the regions e.g water and land (biomes, tundra, boreal forest etc) and relate its importance to the species inside the biomes, and also its climatic functions so albedo, thermoheline and atsmospheric circulation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River227)
    This is really useful thank you! For a) I am now thinking it could be like describing the regions e.g water and land (biomes, tundra, boreal forest etc) and relate its importance to the species inside the biomes, and also its climatic functions so albedo, thermoheline and atsmospheric circulation
    Yeah the "global systems" part is the bit that confuses me, does it want an answer about how important the Arctic is for biodiversity or how important it is for humans?!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the "global systems" part is the bit that confuses me, does it want an answer about how important the Arctic is for biodiversity or how important it is for humans?!
    well as its a global system I think it would involve both because humans are affected by the global systems e.g. causing warming of the earth, as well as the biodiversity. It is a tough question nonetheless

ReputationRep:
    Haven't read the whole first post, but saw global system, and I am thinking about how global warming( which is in the booklet) which will lead to lower concentration of salt which may reduce the effect of the gulf stream and lead to a halt to the global conveyor belt? This is what supposedly happened during the last mini ice age.

Hope this helps?

ReputationRep:
    i don't know if anyone has asked this but what sort of synoptic links to other units etc would you put into your questions and how would you go about doing it?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, do any of you remember what the 3 questions were for this paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James3332)
    Hey guys, do any of you remember what the 3 questions were for this paper?
    Explain why the Arctic's physical systems and ecological resources are of great value to the planet and its people (12)

Evaluate the relative importance of the threats to the future health of the Arctic environment and its biodiversity (16)

Study Figure 9.

Assess the strengths and weaknesses of the three approaches to the future management of the Arctic (12).

Good thing I got my paper back and took it to uni with me!

ReputationRep:
    Explain why the Arctic's physical systems and ecological resources are of great value to the planet and its people (12)

Evaluate the relative importance of the threats to the future health of the Arctic environment and its biodiversity (16)

Study Figure 9.

Assess the strengths and weaknesses of the three approaches to the future management of the Arctic (12).

Study Figure 9.

Thank you so much!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James3332)
    Thank you so much!!!
    Have fun using it on a mock/revise

ReputationRep:

Study Figure 9.

when talking about the ecological resources in Q.A, what is it referring to? just providing habitat, migration or is it also referring to food sources for people and cultural services, do you also need to mention which has the most value?
    thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I organised my answer under the following themes:
    Regulating
    Supporting
    Cultural
    Provision

You can look these up in the Biodiversity part of the Edexcel textbook, but briefly...
    Regulating - Environmental control, such as a natural flood buffer, etc
    Supporting - Supporting ongoing natural processes eg carbon/nitrogen cycle (R and S overlap quite a bit; enviro/physical processes.
    Cultural - Cultural importance eg to Inuit communities in the Arctic
    Provision - Food (Elk and fish), materials (timber for houses), etc. On wider scale provision is anything we take from an ecosystem.

It doesn't ask you to mention importance so don't focus on it for too long, but you could definitely put in a sentence or two about how without Regulatory/Supporting functions, the Arctic may be completely different, meaning its value to the Earth and its inhabitants would be gone (or different)!

Hope this has been of some help, feel free to ask any further questions!

(Original post by Millicent97)
    when talking about the ecological resources in Q.A, what is it referring to? just providing habitat, migration or is it also referring to food sources for people and cultural services, do you also need to mention which has the most value?
    thanks!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 2, 2016

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.