DanielDaniels
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago

What if a resistor is placed between the E and galvanometer (effect to the balance point)?

My guess is that it will be shifted to A? or maybe stays constant. I am stuck here. Your help would be highly appreciated.
Attached files
Stonebridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It doesn't change the balance point, because at balance there is no current in G and therefore no pd across the resistor placed there.
What it does do is reduce the current in G when off-balance, hence helping to protect G (which is normally very sensitive) against excessive currents when you are trying to find the balance point.
DanielDaniels
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Stonebridge)
It doesn't change the balance point, because at balance there is no current in G and therefore no pd across the resistor placed there.
What it does do is reduce the current in G when off-balance, hence helping to protect G (which is normally very sensitive) against excessive currents when you are trying to find the balance point.
In the beginning, I thought about it in this way: Now that we got no current flowing, let's connect a resistor, then definitely nothing will happen and the slider will stay where is it. Fine, but I think my weakness is related to how exactly the voltage becomes zero, and some basic electricity concepts, because it was harder for me to think about it when G is off-balance.

Well, I'll try to write about how I "see" the situation which leads to V= 0 volt across. The slider with the unknown pd cell will show its max voltage at every point (lets say we can measure its voltage), but for the actual power supply, as we are varying L, so does its voltage across that points.

When both of the pd from cell and power supply are equal, electrons doesn't flow anymore, as pd = 0 V

Please go through my basic concepts and correct/add if you can. I believe understanding the real concept is the most important before solving any problem.

Thanks a ton!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (276)
15.51%
Uncertainty around my education (279)
15.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (177)
9.94%
Isolating with family (126)
7.08%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (79)
4.44%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (149)
8.37%
Loneliness (175)
9.83%
Financial worries (72)
4.04%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (163)
9.16%
Exposure to negative news/social media (126)
7.08%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (158)
8.88%

Watched Threads