Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
SOOO many questions to ask you.
Do you take Psychology?
What campus are you on?
What's the atmosphere like?
Is it any good?
Basically HELP! I want to go to an open day but so far away (live in south west england) so when I visit Scotland im gonna pop up and visit to see what its like, but I want true opinions. PLEASEEE?
madmoofkh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi there! Yes and yes to your questions (:

I'm starting my 4th year in September and I'm based at Paisley campus.

The atmosphere is good, there's a really nice vibe on my campus and its a generally nice place to be. Some buildings are a bit outdated (but that's to be expected in this part of Scotland) but there has just been a massive refurbishment for the psychology department, so we now have an interactive learning room and new dedicated computer labs so you'll get full use of these!

If if you put a lot in, you'll get a lot out basically, the course is as good as you make it. There are some modules that you'll just want to commit bloody murder with, but that's the nature of psych!

I'd highly recommend attending the open day as you'll meet some of the people who will teach and guide you for the next 3/4 years. Most lecturers are really nice, easy to get along with and put their subjects across really simply. Some lecturers you just won't click with, but just make the best of a bad situation.

I moved up here from Leicestershire so I understand that it's really far. I would definitely suggest going into halls for your first year, just so you can get your bearings in Paisley (it's quite confusing if you don't know where you're going) and then go into a private rent after, standard rent is about £250-£300 for a one bed flat, but chances are you'll meet some great friends and will flat share. A four bed flat directly next to campus is £800 a month.

Any my other questions, feel free to ask!
KylieemilyJ
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
(Original post by madmoofkh)
Hi there! Yes and yes to your questions (:

I'm starting my 4th year in September and I'm based at Paisley campus.

The atmosphere is good, there's a really nice vibe on my campus and its a generally nice place to be. Some buildings are a bit outdated (but that's to be expected in this part of Scotland) but there has just been a massive refurbishment for the psychology department, so we now have an interactive learning room and new dedicated computer labs so you'll get full use of these!

If if you put a lot in, you'll get a lot out basically, the course is as good as you make it. There are some modules that you'll just want to commit bloody murder with, but that's the nature of psych!

I'd highly recommend attending the open day as you'll meet some of the people who will teach and guide you for the next 3/4 years. Most lecturers are really nice, easy to get along with and put their subjects across really simply. Some lecturers you just won't click with, but just make the best of a bad situation.

I moved up here from Leicestershire so I understand that it's really far. I would definitely suggest going into halls for your first year, just so you can get your bearings in Paisley (it's quite confusing if you don't know where you're going) and then go into a private rent after, standard rent is about £250-£300 for a one bed flat, but chances are you'll meet some great friends and will flat share. A four bed flat directly next to campus is £800 a month.

Any my other questions, feel free to ask!
Thank you so much. Im really excited for Uni but its so far away, I never would get a chance to visit family and friends much, did you find it a bit lonely? I really would love to go to the open days but its a 10 hour drive from here to Scotland which means expensive too which is why I was going to go for a student led tour while I'm in Scotland already, would you recommend one? and is Paisley the only campus that does Psychology? As it will be easier to visit Dumfries if it does Psychology.

Sorry so many questions, but your basically the only person to go UWS for Psychology Everyone I speak to doesn't so I can never ask people
madmoofkh
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did in the beginning, but once I'd found my friends I was okay! You can always phone home and FaceTime etc, but the winner with me was opening a student account that came with a rail card. An absolute lifesaver, plus you can get cheap tickets through megabus (megatrain) and you still get the discount.

Paisley is the only campus that offers the full psych course to my knowledge. Dumfries is way way way out of the centre of town. Dumfries is more nursing based, Hamilton is mainly law and criminology, Ayr is arts and Paisley is science if that helps (:

I'd recommend coming up on the train and staying in a hotel for a night, that way you can tour the campus and town at your own leisure with time pressure. I'd also recommend getting in touch with the student representatives because they're more likely to give an honest view as well.

If you do decide to come up, I can probably come and meet you and show you around the place if you want (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
KylieemilyJ
Rep:
?
I did in the beginning, but once I'd found my friends I was okay! You can always phone home and FaceTime etc, but the winner with me was opening a student account that came with a rail card. An absolute lifesaver, plus you can get cheap tickets through megabus (megatrain) and you still get the discount.

Paisley is the only campus that offers the full psych course to my knowledge. Dumfries is way way way out of the centre of town. Dumfries is more nursing based, Hamilton is mainly law and criminology, Ayr is arts and Paisley is science if that helps (:

I'd recommend coming up on the train and staying in a hotel for a night, that way you can tour the campus and town at your own leisure with time pressure. I'd also recommend getting in touch with the student representatives because they're more likely to give an honest view as well.

If you do decide to come up, I can probably come and meet you and show you around the place if you want (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
ah okay, and yeah I may do that then. I'm visiting Edinburgh when I'm there, and may come to Paisley at a later date. Do you think I could cover both Hamilton and Paisley in one/two days as interested in Criminology as well.
Will keep you in mind and will message you if i do end up coming up as would love to have a tour around
madmoofkh
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Definite doable, you can get the train fro Paisley to Glasgow and then onto Hamilton. Campus is around a 10 minute walk away.

Hamilton is having a new building built, so don't worry if it looks like a building site. They're tearing down the Almada building because it has asbestos lol (it's really old).

But yeah! That'd be cool, just drop me a message if you do come up (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
KylieemilyJ
Rep:
?
Definite doable, you can get the train fro Paisley to Glasgow and then onto Hamilton. Campus is around a 10 minute walk away.

Hamilton is having a new building built, so don't worry if it looks like a building site. They're tearing down the Almada building because it has asbestos lol (it's really old).

But yeah! That'd be cool, just drop me a message if you do come up (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Had a look at trains and OMG, £179 is the cheapest I can find, and thats travelling over night as its cheaper, looks like im gonna have to bribe my parents for some more money until I can get a job :/ But i know uni is important
madmoofkh
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Where will you be travelling from? And what dates are you travelling?

You could also look for flights if you're close(ish) to an airport? Glasgow airport is about a 15 minute bus ride from Paisley centre (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
KylieemilyJ
Rep:
?
Where will you be travelling from? And what dates are you travelling?

You could also look for flights if you're close(ish) to an airport? Glasgow airport is about a 15 minute bus ride from Paisley centre (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Closest airport is Exeter or Bristol, flights to Edinburgh were £70 both ways so will be about the same to Glasgow. Flying is the only option it seems as I can't drive and trains are far too expensive, especially for an unemployed 17 year old... 😂
Deni17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey I'm thinking about studying psychology at UWS in September. I'm from Greece so it's quite far from home. I'm worried that I'm not going to fit into the social life. My brother had studied abroad to Bradford and he came back because he was very lonely. I know that if I go I'm not coming back but I can't help but worry that like many people I'm not going to make any friends.
Do you know international students and if yes how are they adjusting?
madmoofkh
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi there! International students are well looked after at UWS, you have a good amount of events to go to, such as meet, greet and eat - where you bring a dish from your home country and chat to other people! There's also lots of excursions to go on around Scotland, the most recent being a trip to St.Andrews. I can put you in touch with Gill who is the citizenship coordinator if you like (:

I would fly, it's quicker and cheaper by the sounds of things! Make sure you look for flights to Glasgow airport and not Prestwick because you'll be stranded about 40 miles out the way at Prestwick!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Deni17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh that sounds nice. I think I'm going to choose UWS. I understand that it's not everyone's first choice but I like it and I think I'm going to be ok there. Is psychology there tough?
005herzog
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Deni17)
Hey I'm thinking about studying psychology at UWS in September. I'm from Greece so it's quite far from home. I'm worried that I'm not going to fit into the social life. My brother had studied abroad to Bradford and he came back because he was very lonely. I know that if I go I'm not coming back but I can't help but worry that like many people I'm not going to make any friends.
Do you know international students and if yes how are they adjusting?
Eia sou kalimera

I'm studying here my second trimester in Paisley (I have an Erasmus scholarship). It's not good here, especialy when the weather is cold and the days are short. I come from south of Europe too and here it has a completely different culture, it was a shock when I arrived and still is, Scotland is a surprise everyday and I am not talking about the food . It is better if you can cook.

My colleagues from my course are nice but just up to a certain limit, there's not a culture of going out all together with the scottish people. But I get my assignments done, it's very easy on this university there are not a lot of exams and the professors are not very competent and they don't know really a lots about the materials. When I e-mail my professors at my university at home they are just shocked with the level here :eek:

But at the end I expect to get good marks and this will be recognised in my country. Thanks God outside Great britain people don't know what is the real academic level of this university. No one likes this university here. I should have choosen to go to Scandinavian country instead.
Deni17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 005herzog)
Eia sou kalimera

I'm studying here my second trimester in Paisley (I have an Erasmus scholarship). It's not good here, especialy when the weather is cold and the days are short. I come from south of Europe too and here it has a completely different culture, it was a shock when I arrived and still is, Scotland is a surprise everyday and I am not talking about the food . It is better if you can cook.

My colleagues from my course are nice but just up to a certain limit, there's not a culture of going out all together with the scottish people. But I get my assignments done, it's very easy on this university there are not a lot of exams and the professors are not very competent and they don't know really a lots about the materials. When I e-mail my professors at my university at home they are just shocked with the level here :eek:

But at the end I expect to get good marks and this will be recognised in my country. Thanks God outside Great britain people don't know what is the real academic level of this university. No one likes this university here. I should have choosen to go to Scandinavian country instead.

Yeah I can understand that the weather there can be very rough but I actually love cold weather. Here it's almost always sunny and when it rains it's rarely for long. Which country are you from?

Is it really that bad there? I've heard people say they hate it and others love it but I guess everyone has different taste. I'm probably going there so I'm trying to do my best to stay confident about it.
Brandon_97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Heyy, I've put UWS down as my insurance choice, (not for psychology haha) how good is the Paisley accommodation? It's quite expensive which I was surprised at haha, but seems nice enough
madmoofkh
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi! It depends what you want out of it, if you want it to be a quiet place to study - don't raise your hopes. The storie street accommodation is expensive, but it's right next to campus. There's an ensuite shower and toilet, the kitchen a living area is shared. You get wifi or Ethernet internet too. It is a noisy building, lots of parties and mischief - if that's your thing you're fine.

The old accommodation was awful - no ensuite, no double glazing, some had no heating and it was 2 miles from campus.

Aside from that, you're gonna meet new people in your flat and people from your course (that's how they assign flat rooms for the most part).

Any other questions, I'll be happy to answer (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Brandon_97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
[QUOTE=madmoofkh;55367203]

(so off-topic but your music taste is amazing) haha thank you though, does sound pretty good! Think I'll probably see if I can arrange a visit at some point as well but it does seem like a good enough uni
Lily987
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by KylieemilyJ)
SOOO many questions to ask you.
Do you take Psychology?
What campus are you on?
What's the atmosphere like?
Is it any good?
Basically HELP! I want to go to an open day but so far away (live in south west england) so when I visit Scotland im gonna pop up and visit to see what its like, but I want true opinions. PLEASEEE?
Hello! are you currently attending UWS, if so could you tell me what its like as I might be going there! Any info will be much appreciated !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has 2019 been so far?

Amazing!!! (48)
5.88%
Fairly positive (263)
32.19%
Just another year... (320)
39.17%
Is it 2020 yet? (186)
22.77%

Watched Threads