S2 help!! Poisson and discrete variables

Watch
Oraeng
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have a really rubbish S2 teacher who can't explain tricky S2 questions for the life of him so I'm hoping you guys can help. These questions are from MS2B AQA June 10.

5) The number of telephone calls received, during an 8-hour period, by an IT company that request an urgent visit by an engineer may be modelled by a Poisson distribution with a mean of 7 .
The IT company has 4 engineers available for urgent visits and it may be assumed that each of these engineers takes exactly 1 hour for each such visit.
At 10 am on a particular day, all 4 engineers are available for urgent visits.
(i) State the maximum possible number of telephone calls received between 10 am and 11 am that request an urgent visit and for which an engineer is immediately available.
(ii) Calculate the probability that at 11 am an engineer will not be immediately available to make an urgent visit

Obviously part i) is 4 however part ii) is confusing me. In my head it is asking for the probability that all 4 engineers are called out in the hour before 11am so that none are available at 11am. So I calculated
P(X=4) = e^0.875 x (0.875^4/4!) = 0.0102
but the mark scheme disagrees and I can't figure out where it's coming from.

Also, question 6) b) iii) http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...W-QP-JUN10.PDF (can't figure out how to copy and paste the tables)
I can do the rest of the question but these 'given that' probabilities confuse me when they have probabilities within them. Help please?

Mark scheme is here: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...W-MS-JUN10.PDF

Thanks
Oraeng
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Please help!
username3477548
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Sorry you didn't get any responses🥺🥺🥺
I'm also stuck on a similar q haha
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Qxi.xli)
Sorry you didn't get any responses🥺🥺🥺
I'm also stuck on a similar q haha
Post it and your attempt?
username3477548
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by mqb2766)
Post it and your attempt?
That's alright Ill ask my teacher about it tomorrow as we have a revision lesson xx thanks ☺️
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
12.8%
I need help researching courses (9)
5.49%
I need help with filling out the application form (8)
4.88%
I need help with my personal statement (71)
43.29%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (39)
23.78%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.83%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (13)
7.93%

Watched Threads