This discussion is closed.
Toyosi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I don't intend for this to be an anti america rant but what the hey, its inevitable. I don't really know how America can dictate which countries can't have nuclear weapons when America has by far the most and America is the only country to have ever used them against another. Am a bit tired of all the hypocrisy. When will America stop making different rules for itself. Am no expert but am pretty sure that holding prisoners without trial is a violation of human rights and am pretty sure thats whats going on in Cuba. Why is the UN ignoring this? Further more, cause I like the environment and have gone off on complete tangent from original point, does America, the greatest greenhouse emitter, ever plan on agreeing to reduce their emissions as many other countries did in the Kyoto summit and are they ever gonna stop using mines as many other countries have. How and why do they get away with it???? I really hate having such a negative view towards American policy ( not the people, they're very nice ) but to be honest everything they have done in the past few years really does my head in. Am not even gonna get into the genocide of the native indians and how they now live on crappy reservations which are always reducing in size, or even the Cuban missile crisis which is in my opinion the dodgiest bit of politics I can think of. Am I being totally unfair to America?
byb3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I agree with most of your views, and I think a lot of others will do to. We are seen as America's friends, but the truth of the matter is that many of us can't stand to see George Bush and his Republican party wrecking their havoc on the world. What country will they invade next?

As my dad mentioned, one of the major reasons the allies went into Iraq was because Saddam treated his people badly and they were liberating them. Of course thats crap, as America does what pleases America. They wanted the oil and they had to make an excuse up.

I bet they don't invade Zimbabwe, mainly because what do they have that America needs?

Regards,
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Toyosi
I don't really know how America can dictate which countries can't have nuclear weapons when America has by far the most and America is the only country to have ever used them against another.
Just to correct you, America has never used Nuclear weapons against another country. They used Atomic weapons in Hiroshima and Nagasaki which i think you're confusing.
rachelina*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
George Bush is an evil man, and I really don't understand how so many Americans could have supported the war. It was a complete oxymoron 'Enforced liberty'. What about the Iraqis who didn't want liberty? It's just Bush making up bull so that he can have the oil that he needs and wants. For crying out loud, the man was an alcoholic up until 40. I don't mean to be offensive of recovering alcholics but still, he never really did anything until he thought it would be a fun idea to copy Daddy. He got really bad marks at uni, he garbles his speeches all the time, and he didn't really win the election, it was just the screwed up ballots that helped him win.
byb3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
so simply but, he's a dumbass.
Toyosi
Rep:
?
Just to correct you, America has never used Nuclear weapons against another country. They used Atomic weapons in Hiroshima and Nagasaki which i think you're confusing.

Think you're missing my point. I feel that America is more of a threat to world peace than any other nation or leader and I don't know how long the world is going to go on ignoring this renegade nation's wrongs. Yeah, Iraq violated UN sanctions but America was more than willing to go to war with or without the UN's backing. That just shows that they don't give a crap about what the rest of the world thinks. I can't believe that people out there really believe George Bush wanted to help the poor people of Iraq. Perhaps I am a cynic but I really don't think America ever has other people's interests at heart. Bush is such a retard. Can't believe he wants to bring back anti abortion laws in America and he's inflicting it upon other nations through tied aid.
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
the americans supported george bushs plans to go to war because he brain washed them all. my sis bf is american and hes a compleet fool n thinks bush is the best thing since slice bread. its rediculas. they need a kik up the butt!

love Katy ***
-al
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Bush already gets plenty up the butt, courtesy of our friend Tony.
Toyosi
Rep:
?
I think maybe their niceness makes them dumb. Back in the day when i used to chat online ( before i discovered most people were freaky pervs ) I spoke to people from Texas who voted for Bush simply because he was a Texan. No offense but what dumbasses. I can't stand people who blindly follow the crowd and don't think for themselves. I hope England never becomes like that. I couldn't stand it if we lived in a nation where everyone had a gun and sued people for anything and everything.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Toyosi
I think maybe their niceness makes them dumb. Back in the day when i used to chat online ( before i discovered most people were freaky pervs ) I spoke to people from Texas who voted for Bush simply because he was a Texan. No offense but what dumbasses. I can't stand people who blindly follow the crowd and don't think for themselves. I hope England never becomes like that. I couldn't stand it if we lived in a nation where everyone had a gun and sued people for anything and everything.
i have an aunt and uncle who are american and when discussing whether to go to war they replied "we have to put our trust in the people with power and support them all the way" and they are both well-educated people. i found it shocking how they could have such a naive viewpoint for two such intelligent people, i think that when you start putting blind faith in the people that rule over you there is a real cause for concern as that is how dictatoships are born!

i lost all my respect for america after the invasion of Iraq. whenever anyone used the oil argument i would dismiss it as anti american propoganda and argue that Bush would not do something so selfish. my main arugment was that a trust fund would be set up into which all proceeds from iraqi oil would be put in and the funds used to help rebuild Iraq (the very words used by Tony Blair). several months later and this fund has failed to materialise just like the so called weapons of mass destruction. the countdown to doomsday has begun...
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
A stereotypical American is a loud, fat, greedy Christian who has no mind of his own. While a lot of them fit this catagory, the majority of Americans are the nicest people you could ever meet, with fantastic personalities and a great sense of humour.

While I dislike American spelling and "grammar" (take note of the speech marks ) I generally have positive thoughts about the country as a whole. The people have fantastic values, an excellent racial policy and they produce mass media that's everyone (I think) entertained for absolutely hours.

I believe Saddam Huisain was a threat to world peace. If you read about the monstrosities he'd done to his own people, you'd agree. He didn't just command his guards to kill, he killed them personally - as did his sons.

I don't like the fact the British/Australians/Canadians and other English-speaking countries try to immitate Americans. For instance, why do people sing in an American accent? Try it, would you say carnt or c'ant? Would you sing Saturday or Sad'E'rsday? Ah ha! Thought so, you sing in an American accent.
byb3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
a lot of people replace t with d when they speak, never mind sing
Toyosi
Rep:
?
I also think that American people are extremely nice. However dumbness and niceness sometimes walk hand in hand. When we went to a restaurant in America the waitress who was extremely lovely asked us if we were Jamaican. Now, I found this a strange thing to ask because we have very british accents and last time i checked they sounded not even remotely jamaican. Plus, in the grand scheme of things Jamaican people make up a relatively small proportion of the worlds black population. If u saw a black person odds are he/she's be from Africa or America. And furthermore I'm not sure American's in general are ever associated with fantastic moral values or an excellent racial policy though in all fairness they do make good TV
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think it's a pity that more people are complaining about Bush than the really evil people like Saddam in the East. At least there's liberty in America...
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
The word 'dumb' itself is an Americanism. Dumb in British standards actually denotes someone who can't speak.
Toyosi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Adhsur)
I think it's a pity that more people are complaining about Bush than the really evil people like Saddam in the East. At least there's liberty in America...
That's debatable.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Further more, cause I like the environment and have gone off on complete tangent from original point, does America, the greatest greenhouse emitter, ever plan on agreeing to reduce their emissions as many other countries did in the Kyoto summit and are they ever gonna stop using mines as many other countries have. How and why do they get away with it????
I know what you mean when you say this, but I can't get a picture of loads of actual glass Greenhouses being thrown out of America out of my head.

But then again, I'm rather odd.
cricket
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You talk about us like we are mindless cattle. First of all, there was no brainwashing going on. I can't understand why anyone would suggest such a thing. I do however think that many people only voted for Bush because his name was well known. We do have brains of our own. That's why the election was so close in the first place. I do agree that following the crowd, is very dumb or stupid whatever you want to call it. People really should actually look at the issues at hand and make decisions. I believe that as soon as we get another democrat in office many things will change. There are some promising candidates now. I also think that if Al Gore had won the election, many things would be different. My family voted for Gore. We agreed with his views and thought he could take the country in a positive direction. Once again though THERE WAS NO BRAINWASHING GOING ON. THAT'S WHY WE HAVE A DEMOCRACY AND NOT A DICTATOR. What's there to say, we got ourself into this and we are dealing with it now. I just hope that everyone remembers that George Bush is just one man who just happens to represent our whole country. His views are not the whole country's views, and he will be out of office soon. If he wins reelection which I hope he doesn't, he will only have one term left. Many people have ideas on what can be done about the situation that we are in now, and all we can do is wait and see what happens.
Toyosi
Rep:
?
I thought Al Gore should have won but there's no point crying over spilt milk etc... Yes America is a democracy but can you not see why anyone might think it was dictating to the rest of the world?
cricket
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes, I do see what you mean. As a matter of fact, I agree. That's exactly why I never agreed with Bush in the first place. I believe that all of this is causing more drama than needed, and maybe there will be a change. Like I said, we are slowly but surely realizing that now. Here's my proof: The following are exerts from TIME MAGAZINE July 21, 2003 issue.

*Untruth & Consequences: How flawed was the case for going to war against Saddam?
*Are Voters in the Mood for an Angry Democrat? That's the main question at the center of the Dean-Kerry showdown.
*The next time Bush tells the nation where he wants to go, it may not be so quick to follow.
*A Question Of Trust: The CIA's Tenet takes the fall for a flawed claim in the State of the Union, but has Bush's credibility taken an even greater hit?

And it continues, magazine after magazine. These were just a few that I selected.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (294)
34.23%
No (565)
65.77%

Watched Threads