The Student Room Group

LAW AND ORDER: How Should Prisoners Be Treated? And Who Are You Planning On Voting?

REQUIREMENTS

1.) Do you feel prisoners should share cells depending on their risk of violence? Yes/No
2.) Should all prisoners wear a standard uniform? Yes/No
3.) Should prisoners be put into solitary confinement for up to a week for bad behaviour? Yes/No
4.) Prisoners should be forced to do work outside of prison like clearing ditches by the road? Yes/No
5.) Should prison food be as bad as the average NHS meal? Yes/No
6.) Should prisoners have phones or personal TV's or gaming equipment? Yes/No
7.) Should there be harsher prison sentencing? Yes/No
8.) Should we have more prisons? Yes/No
9.) Should prisoners be given the vote? Yes/No

10.) Who are you planning on voting for?
Reply 1
1.) Yes
2.) Yes
3.) Yes
4.) Yes
5.) Yes (worse)
6.) No
7.) Yes
8.) Yes
9.) NO

10.) UKIP

Make prison prison not a bed and breakfast that you can't leave.
Original post by SeaPony
REQUIREMENTS

1.) Do you feel prisoners should share cells depending on their risk of violence? Yes/No
3.) Should prisoners be put into solitary confinement for up to a week for bad behaviour? Yes/No
4.) Prisoners should be forced to do work outside of prison like clearing ditches by the road? Yes/No

1. Yes
2. Doesn't really matter
3. No, or only in extreme cases
4. Yes
5. Omg :colondollar:
6. NO!
7. Yes
8. I am not sure
9. NO
10. Libdem
Original post by SeaPony
REQUIREMENTS

1.) Do you feel prisoners should share cells depending on their risk of violence? Yes
2.) Should all prisoners wear a standard uniform? No, I hardly think it would matter.
3.) Should prisoners be put into solitary confinement for up to a week for bad behaviour? Yes, and longer where necessary (eg. Bronson)
4.) Prisoners should be forced to do work outside of prison like clearing ditches by the road? No, your just deserts are the sentence
5.) Should prison food be as bad as the average NHS meal? Yes
6.) Should prisoners have phones or personal TV's or gaming equipment? Yes, as privileges
7.) Should there be harsher prison sentencing? No, but sentencing guidelines should be clearer or cases reported more widely, judges in Liverpool have too little idea what sentences judges in Norwich are handing down.
8.) Should we have more prisons? No
9.) Should prisoners be given the vote? Yes, if they are due to be released within the term of the next Parliament

10.) Who are you planning on voting for? Lab

See above
1. Yes.
2. Doesn't really matter.
3. Depends on how bad, but I wouldn't oppose it.
4. Yes, I think it would be good to have community service on top of prison sentences.
5. I don't know how bad the average NHS meal is.
6. Yes, but as privileges that can be taken away as punishment. Maybe time limited too.
7. Not sure.
8. Don't know.
9. Absolutely ****ing not.

10. Not voting.
I cant believe you guys are saying lets give them TV or whatever. What even? If I got put in prison with my laptop or a TV I wouldnt even mind being in prison - free food and no responsibilities, sit in my room and be on my laptop or watch tv. Sounds like an ideal life to me!
Reply 6
What I don't get is politicians saying if we take their TV's away from them they will start rioting? What the hell!? You are being held ransom by prisoners behind bars? Who cares if they riot leave them to it until they start starving and giving up... and their sentences will be doubled.
Original post by SeaPony
REQUIREMENTS

1 yes
2 not sure,
3 no
4 yes
5 yes (it should all be vegetarian too)
6 phones yes others no
7 yes for some crimes less for others
8 no
9 if they can get to a polling station

10 lib dem
Original post by SeaPony
What I don't get is politicians saying if we take their TV's away from them they will start rioting? What the hell!? You are being held ransom by prisoners behind bars? Who cares if they riot leave them to it until they start starving and giving up... and their sentences will be doubled.

What politicians?
Reply 9
Original post by driftawaay
I cant believe you guys are saying lets give them TV or whatever. What even? If I got put in prison with my laptop or a TV I wouldnt even mind being in prison - free food and no responsibilities, sit in my room and be on my laptop or watch tv. Sounds like an ideal life to me!

Original post by SeaPony

You give someone something you can take it away again. Simple. They behave well they get a TV, they break any rules then they lose it. As well as this, people do leave prison. Ideally you don't want to throw them out into the world more ****ed up then they are when they left. All that leads to is further crime. If a brutal approach to prison worked then the Victorians would have had the lowest crime rate in history.
Original post by SeaPony
REQUIREMENTS

1) Sure, dont see why not.
2) What's the point?
3) Extended periods (48 hours + ) of solitary confinement have been shown to cause significant mental trauma even I otherwise healthy people. So no.
4) No. Its basic slave labour.
5) False question. Food in both places should be 'good'.
6) I dont really mind.
7) No. Keeping people in an ineffective system longer will not make the system more effective.
8) Yes. But only because current prisons are overcrowded. Generally would like to see fewer prisons and less people on custodial sentences.
9) Self-determination is a basic human right. So yes.

10) not voting.
Original post by SeaPony
REQUIREMENTS

1) Yes. Prisoners need to learn how to interact with other people properly.
2) I don't see why prisoners shouldn't get to decide what they wear.
3) If at all possible, avoid solitary confinement. It breaks people.
4) The idea of work as punishment is appealing. I have no problem with it. But don't go the North Korean route and force people to work until they die from exhaustion and/or starvation.
5) Prison food should be good, and so should hospital food. If it's one or the other, prioritise hospital food.
6) Prisoners should not be allowed any kind of communication device which isn't tapped and controlled by the authorities. Also, they do not deserve luxury hedonistic entertainment such as gaming consoles or TVs; they should go out into the real world and learn to appreciate the beauty of nature.
7) Yes. Violent criminals should receive harsher sentences. At least 30 years for unprovoked assault, in my opinion, which can later be reduced on good behaviour.
8) Yes, if required.
9) Absolutely not. Having the right to vote and being required to be incarcerated are mutually exclusive.

10) It is a secret ballot.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SeaPony
REQUIREMENTS

1.) It depends really, some convicts are too dangerous to put in a cell with another person.
2.) No
3.) Depends what they did exactly, if it was dangerous, yes
4.) Thats essentially slave labour and takes away jobs so now
5.) No
6.) Phones? No, games and stuff yes, it distracts them and keeps them happy, less of a risk
7.) For some crimes yes, for others no
8.) Yes I suppose it is needed
9.) No
10.) UKIP
Original post by mojojojo101
4) No. Its basic slave labour.

Is community service "slave labour"?

Slavery implies that the enslaved are innocent.
Original post by felamaslen
Is community service "slave labour"?

Slavery implies that the enslaved are innocent.

The question did not mention community service, it said work.

Slavery implies no such judgement on a persons innocence of any particular crime.
Original post by mojojojo101
The question did not mention community service, it said work.

Slavery implies no such judgement on a persons innocence of any particular crime.

What is the ethical (or other) difference between work as punishment, and community service?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending