The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

second time round conditional offer - resitting just one a2

what about other subjects not on the conditions?

Hi, im currently in my 4th year of college (..yeah i know. wonderful) and study A level(s).
I currently have an offer from Sheffield University for the second time around, as they wanted ABB last year for Korean Studies with Japanese, but i got ABD. The D was in sociology, and with little choice of where else to go for such a rare course i made the decision to go back to college and resit this one A2 year (whilst opting to resit an AS module aswell - Education).

Basically, my conditional offer just says I need the B in sociology.
However, as i apparently needed to have so many hours on my college time table to qualify for 'full time education' and therefore get lessons for sociology, i had to pick a few other subjects as time wasters.

ive had the great misfortune of being forced into picking Extended Project - which i think is ridiculously time consuming for someone like me where ucas points are useless, and my offer only asks for the B in sociology.

my problem is, this extended project essay is due in by midnight tonight - but its nowhere near finished. ive been bordering on just not giving it in for a few weeks now because the amount of stress and upset i've been through because i really cant get my head around this is ridiculous.

what i'm wondering is, if i've applied through ucas that i'm doing extended project and my predicted grade was a B, even though its not part of the conditional - would it end up being important when it really came down to results day? say for example if i only got a C in sociology, does anyone think they might take the results of my other subjects into consideration atall, even though its not stated?

just having a last minute panic and wondering if the upset and manic rush to try and scramble something together for this essay is even worth it.
any thoughts on sheffield uni's admissions??
Original post by rebeccahann
what about other subjects not on the conditions?

Hi, im currently in my 4th year of college (..yeah i know. wonderful) and study A level(s).
I currently have an offer from Sheffield University for the second time around, as they wanted ABB last year for Korean Studies with Japanese, but i got ABD. The D was in sociology, and with little choice of where else to go for such a rare course i made the decision to go back to college and resit this one A2 year (whilst opting to resit an AS module aswell - Education).

Basically, my conditional offer just says I need the B in sociology.
However, as i apparently needed to have so many hours on my college time table to qualify for 'full time education' and therefore get lessons for sociology, i had to pick a few other subjects as time wasters.

ive had the great misfortune of being forced into picking Extended Project - which i think is ridiculously time consuming for someone like me where ucas points are useless, and my offer only asks for the B in sociology.

my problem is, this extended project essay is due in by midnight tonight - but its nowhere near finished. ive been bordering on just not giving it in for a few weeks now because the amount of stress and upset i've been through because i really cant get my head around this is ridiculous.

what i'm wondering is, if i've applied through ucas that i'm doing extended project and my predicted grade was a B, even though its not part of the conditional - would it end up being important when it really came down to results day? say for example if i only got a C in sociology, does anyone think they might take the results of my other subjects into consideration atall, even though its not stated?

just having a last minute panic and wondering if the upset and manic rush to try and scramble something together for this essay is even worth it.
any thoughts on sheffield uni's admissions??

Hi! If the University has asked for an A and two B's, any qualifications extra to that are irrelevant. For example, if you got ABBD, the 'D' would be be irrelevant to your application - you would have met the offer and the fact that you have a 'D' does not affect your qualification in any way. So in response to your question "would it end up being important when it really came down to results day?" - in this case, no, it isn't important.

If you failed to get ABB, things become a little cloudy. Take, for example, the situation where you got ABC. You would have failed to meet the grades required, so they do not (technically) have to consider you. However, in reality, some courses at some universities, do consider people who did not meet the grades required. Whether they do this is dependent on how many people they made offers to, actually getting those offers (e.g. if the course has 100 places and only 80 people got the grades, they would offer 20 places to people who had missed the offer). They will take into account a lot of different factors when deciding who to make offers to - a good personal statement, reference, A-level results, etc., will all count. So in this case, in answer to your question "would it end up being important when it really came down to results day?" - yes, being able to say that you have the results ABCC (you have 4 A-levels), would count in your favour.

Universities receive your results a week before you do. On results day, you will generally be able to find out if you have got into University from around 6am - which is probably a bit earlier than your college opens for you to collect results. Universities will sometimes decide to accept someone who has failed to get the right grades, before results day. In this case, people will find out that they got into university, then go and collect their results and find they didn't get the right grades (but it doesn't matter - because they got in). Sometimes a University will reject someone based on not getting the grades - but it is still very important to ring them and see if anything can be done. It is common for universities to reject someone based on their grades, but once that person rings up on results day and pleading their case, they are then made an offer. Important thing to remember: if you do not get accepted to University, you must ring them on results day. Have the telephone number of the University ready - you will need to contact the relevant department and speak with the dean of admissions.

I hope you get the results you need, but if you don't, don't worry. Ring the University and see if anything can be done - don't immediately thing that nothing can be done.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
I know this isn't relevant to your question (sorry!), but did the University of Sheffield offer you a place on a similar course on results day which you decided to turn down?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending