The Student Room Group

biology for psychology degree

I am strongly considering doing psychology at degree level, however im not doing biology (or chemistry..) at a- level. How biological? physiological doe ]s it become. I pictured it as group dynamics and behavioural studies rather than biological. anyone doing psychology know? Any extra info on it in general
my a levels will maths physics geography and psychology
Original post by colback98
I am strongly considering doing psychology at degree level, however im not doing biology (or chemistry..) at a- level. How biological? physiological doe ]s it become. I pictured it as group dynamics and behavioural studies rather than biological. anyone doing psychology know? Any extra info on it in general
my a levels will maths physics geography and psychology

Depends on the course really. All psychology degrees need to cover some element of biological work to be BPS accredited, but unis will differ to what extent they emphasise different parts of psychology. You definitely don't need biology a level, but it might help a bit (as would maths and psychology a level... which you have).

If your really worried, its probably worth doing some background reading on it. Generally the pace of most first year psychology courses is not very fast, so you would easily be able to catch up in terms of bio knowledge that others don't have. Its probably worth refreshing your knowledge on the basics of genetics, neuroscience and evolution which are all relevant to psych.
Reply 2
You'll be fine if you don't have an A Level in Biology. You have to do bits of neuroscience - I.e. structure and function or the brain, synaptic control - but like I say you don't need a biology A Level.

Quick Reply

Latest