The Student Room Group

Should mothers be hitting their teenage sons?

I am strongly against it, and believe it should only be a fathers place to instill discipline

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blue_Mason
I am strongly against it, and believe it should only be a fathers place to instill discipline

So much wrong with this...

Firstly, why specify sons? Children, regardless of gender do need to be disciplined sometimes in the process of being brought up. Secondly, it is the responsibility of any parent to carry out the disciplining.

Also, many children grow up without the fortune of having both parents in their lives, by your logic they wouldn't be disciplined at all if their father happened to not be in their lives??

Finally, I think by the time a child gets to their teen years, smacking as a form of punishment will be drastically reduced in its effectiveness, it will just make them mad and retaliate. Words and reasoning are the best way to discipline teenagers imo.
Reply 2
Original post by askew116
So much wrong with this...

Firstly, why specify sons? Children, regardless of gender do need to be disciplined sometimes in the process of being brought up. Secondly, it is the responsibility of any parent to carry out the disciplining.

Also, many children grow up without the fortune of having both parents in their lives, by your logic they wouldn't be disciplined at all if their father happened to not be in their lives??

Finally, I think by the time a child gets to their teen years, smacking as a form of punishment will be drastically reduced in its effectiveness, it will just make them mad and retaliate. Words and reasoning are the best way to discipline teenagers imo.

Because there was a video of a woman who appears to be beating her son.Her son wanted to be involved in rioting and that what had inspired this thread, the fact she got praised was ridiculous.
She is physically weaker, n yet thinks hr slaps can do damage
Firstly this is such a stupid troll.
Secondly no one should be hitting anyone.
Now stop being silly and ask a proper question
Because there was a video of a woman who appears to be beating her son.Her son wanted to be involved in rioting and that what had inspired this thread, the fact she got praised was ridiculous.

OK well that's a specific scenario. It doesn't matter that she's physically weaker - even if she is. It's absolutely nothing to do with her responsibility to discipline her child. Now I don't think that beating him is the best way to go about that, but it is her responsibility to discipline him, and her right to choose physical punishment should she choose to do so.
any parent can instil discipline... you're being very sexist to say that females (Mum's) cannot hit parents. Course if the kid being an ass you smack that tiny booty
I know plenty of 13 year olds that I'd smack round the face.

But I'm a 16 year old male so I guess this doesn't say anything about the point in the OP....oh well.
Yes defo

How will they ever become men

A man has to take some beating/go through **** in his youth so he grows up to be strong and independent

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not about doing damage. It's about instilling discipline within a child by showing them who the authoritative figure is.
No.
Lol if anyone hit me when I was a teenager they'd be getting hit straight back.
bump
if they like

If they deserve it, heck yes. Your views are ridiculously old fashioned -____-
In society today, I would be surprised if the teen son even knows who his father is

I saw that. He definitely deserved it. You have got to be a troll hahaha
Original post by marythestudent
Firstly this is such a stupid troll.
Secondly no one should be hitting anyone.
Now stop being silly and ask a proper question

:rofl: Actually I think in OP's head he totally thinks this is a proper question.
Original post by cherryred90s

Nnnnnno! Really?! Man! Surprises, abound, left, right n centre. :holmes:
Here are my two cents in all this discipline argument.

I'am a teenage boy, so no I'am not an adult or anything. But I believe that parents should discipline children by force. I come from a Meditearn background, and thank my parents for spankign me when I was younger. It made me polite and respect the rules I was raised upon. However my parents, and many other families had guidelines:

1) No hitting at young ages, 0-7
2) No hitting at teen ages except under big circumstances, this causes hatred towards parents
3) You're not supposed to cause strong damage, the point is to hurt but not to bruise you for a long time. The pain is normally gone after 3 minutes.
4) In each family, 1 parent usually become the punished. Some families it the Mom and some Dad, tbh it doesn't make a difference. As long as they is a parent that can ask forgiveness in your behalf :smile:
My parents would use violence as discipline, now I see my father did it to take his anger out because he is an aggressive man, so sometimes discipline can be mistaken and I have the experience of knowing it fuels anger rather than a lesson learnt, it all gets very twisted as children become teenagers because they are entering a world where their parents are angry and violent, so they are more disruptive (imo) because they are insecure, I ended up becoming close to an older man because I saw him as a father figure and he knows that, so to use a s discipline is fine just not when the child is old enough to question why the parent is really doing it.
Original post by Feline_Nymphet
:rofl: Actually I think in OP's head he totally thinks this is a proper question.

Instead of adding to this conversation, you blabber

But the mother just ends up embarrassing herself

If they deserve it, heck yes. Your views are ridiculously old fashioned -____-
In society today, I would be surprised if the teen son even knows who his father is

Well things were better in the ole days

Quick Reply

Latest