The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I live just outside of Manchester and am going to Bath to study IMEE in September. Personally, I am completely in love with Bath as a city so may be slightly biased! Manchester is a great city - much larger than Bath and has a more diverse population. Manchester is a city campus so you will be living in the city, where as Bath is a campus outside of the city. Bath is very touristy, Manchester less so. Bath is also apparently the safest city in the UK which is great to know - Manchester is the complete opposite to this and is known for being dodgy in places.
In terms of the university course, I think they are quite similar but look at the courses in detail to see if you prefer either one in terms of modules.
I love Bath as it is a small city but still provides all the essentials you want from a city. Manchester is large, bustling and has a great nightlife (better than Bath if you're into that).
Hope this helps and might see you at Bath in September!
Bath as firm, Manchester as insurance. Really nothing else to discuss.
Reply 3
haha unfortunately bath is AB and manchester AA
Original post by Crrc73
haha unfortunately bath is AB and manchester AA

And? You have to firm the one you want to go to, not the one with the higher grades.
Reply 5
very true, just means I probably should put another university as insurance other than manchester , also are you at bath ? and if so I was wondering how small it is ?
Original post by studyworm
And? You have to firm the one you want to go to, not the one with the higher grades.

If your insurance has higher requirements than your firm then it is impossible to end up at the insurance in any case, as any grade above the firm will get you into the firm. So putting Manchester as an insurance is like not having an insurance. You need a uni with a lower offer as a "safety net". Unless my understanding of the system is entirely wrong..?
Original post by Crrc73
I'm going to be studying Electrical and Electronic engineering so I'd like to know which is better for the course , but also what people think as universities/ places to live ??

I applied to both Bath and Manchester this year and I firmed Bath, after visiting both unis. Bath has much nicer & modern accommodation and has an amazing sports centre and just in general, nicer facilities. I also talked to my future professors and they seemed really nice and passionate about their subjects. The city is really nice and compact. The only downside for Bath that I can think of is the walk to the town which involves a big hill. ( but I've been told that there are 24hr busses running that route so you don't have to go hiking) ;P

Whereas, I found Manchester very busy with traffic and the campus is spread out quite a bit unlike Bath which means more walking. And I also prefer having a university with a campus feeling to it rather than going to lectures spread across a city like you would in Manchester, which I can only imagine must be a pain if u have to go back and forth a lot for different modules. I also found Manchester's accommodation kind of grungy.

So I guess you need to decide what type of uni you prefer and then you'll know which uni you want yo pick based on that :smile:
Original post by thecuttlefish
If your insurance has higher requirements than your firm then it is impossible to end up at the insurance in any case, as any grade above the firm will get you into the firm. So putting Manchester as an insurance is like not having an insurance. You need a uni with a lower offer as a "safety net". Unless my understanding of the system is entirely wrong..?

Watch this . . .

[video="youtube;qvvF7-5SIJ8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvvF7-5SIJ8[/video]
(edited 8 years ago)
Watch this . . .

[video="youtube;qvvF7-5SIJ8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvvF7-5SIJ8[/video]

Are you sure that's the right video? Because it doesn't seem to be relevant to what I was saying at all.
On another note, is that the interviewer from numberphile? Love that guy!
Are you sure that's the right video? Because it doesn't seem to be relevant to what I was saying at all.
On another note, is that the interviewer from numberphile? Love that guy!

He says clearly that you sometimes get a dishonest high offer but get accepted on lower grades if you firmed them. You must firm the one you like most.
He says clearly that you sometimes get a dishonest high offer but get accepted on lower grades if you firmed them. You must firm the one you like most.

He is talking about choosing a uni, not picking a firm and insurance. If you do not get the grades for your firm, then if your insurance is a higher conditional offer, then you will miss that too. So what's the point in putting it as an insurance?
P.S.: In case you didn't see, Bath is AB and Manchester AA in this case.
He is talking about choosing a uni, not picking a firm and insurance. If you do not get the grades for your firm, then if your insurance is a higher conditional offer, then you will miss that too. So what's the point in putting it as an insurance?
P.S.: In case you didn't see, Bath is AB and Manchester AA in this case.

I updated the video link, you watched the wrong one.
I updated the video link, you watched the wrong one.

Ok, agreed you should put where you want to go first, and not feel the pressure of high offers. But he simply saying "sacrifice Manchester" in this case. Could be a good idea but I don't know whether the thread starter has another uni with a lower offer they would be happy to go to. Because he is simply saying ignore the insurance one if you don't want to go anywhere with a lower offer.
Ok, agreed you should put where you want to go first, and not feel the pressure of high offers. But he simply saying "sacrifice Manchester" in this case. Could be a good idea but I don't know whether the thread starter has another uni with a lower offer they would be happy to go to. Because he is simply saying ignore the insurance one if you don't want to go anywhere with a lower offer.

I would 100% firm Bath, you will get higher calibre students there, and from better schools. Manchester would be a wider mix.

The issue with universities like Manchester and Leeds is they attract students who are party animals in the main, not the sort of people I'd want to be with.
(edited 8 years ago)
If you ever go abroad Manchester is going to have a better name tbh. Much better.
Reply 16
this is actually really helpful, feel free to chuck out more ideas guys :smile:
Original post by Crrc73
this is actually really helpful, feel free to chuck out more ideas guys :smile:

Are you envisaging clubbing every week with hall mates?
Reply 18
not every week but I am partial to a good pub quiz
Don't know how tutors at Manchester have time for students, too many of them.

Latest

Trending

Trending