Anyone else annoyed at Conservative Hyposcrisy?

Watch
lerjj
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So for the last 5 years all we've heard to justify everything else the conservatives have done is that they've been doing it 'for the economy'. Student fess trebled? It helped the economy. Bedroom tax? Helped the economy. Gove? Probably helped the economy.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/apr/28/official-voters-hurting-george-osborne-spin-ons-growth?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Well, the growth rate of the UK has decreased since the coalition started. GDP per head has decreased. Standards of living have been cut, and state wages were frozen for most of this coalition (hint: that's not a good thing).

So, can someone tell me where the f*** they get the balls to tell the public that Labour, SNP and everyone else will trash the economy? Labour did have a recession, so did the ENTIRE Western economy. And it was starting to recover on its own. The current government has done absolutely nothing good.
TheGuyReturns
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
They sell *******s because again and again the general public have shown themselves willing to buy in bulk. Can you really blame the Tories?
The_Mighty_Bush
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How is it not good that state wages have frozen? They earn more than people in the private sector on average and its people in the private sector that have to pay for the wages of those in the public sector.

"In April 2013 it is estimated that on average the pay of the public sector was between 2.2% and 3.1% higher after adjusting for the different jobs and personal characteristics of the workers"

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/lmac/p...arch-2014.html
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)
How is it not good that state wages have frozen? They earn more than people in the private sector on average and its people in the private sector that have to pay for the wages of those in the public sector.

"In April 2013 it is estimated that on average the pay of the public sector was between 2.2% and 3.1% higher after adjusting for the different jobs and personal characteristics of the workers"

State wages haven't been frozen. I earn 65% more than 5 years ago.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lerjj)
So for the last 5 years all we've heard to justify everything else the conservatives have done is that they've been doing it 'for the economy'. Student fess trebled? It helped the economy. Bedroom tax? Helped the economy. Gove? Probably helped the economy.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/apr/28/official-voters-hurting-george-osborne-spin-ons-growth?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Well, the growth rate of the UK has decreased since the coalition started. GDP per head has decreased. Standards of living have been cut, and state wages were frozen for most of this coalition (hint: that's not a good thing).

So, can someone tell me where the f*** they get the balls to tell the public that Labour, SNP and everyone else will trash the economy? Labour did have a recession, so did the ENTIRE Western economy. And it was starting to recover on its own. The current government has done absolutely nothing good.
State wages weren't frozen at any point for 90%+ of public sector workers ...
The_Mighty_Bush
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
State wages haven't been frozen. I earn 65% more than 5 years ago.
I'm talking about averages. Obviously some public sector employees will be earning more now than before. Perhaps "frozen" would be the wrong terminology but I was replying to what the OP said and therefore used his terminology.

"The average pay difference in favour of the public sector has narrowed since the year 2010, which in part reflects the restraints on public sector pay over this period"

lerjj
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)

It's not good because that's not the sign of economic recovery!

"So, how are you doing?"
"Not bad, our GDP's still lower than it started, and unemployment remains high. We've also managed to decrease the growth rate since when we took over. Pretty much a successful economic recovery!"
"Sounds great! So, how are people doing besides the unemployment thing?"
"Oh, not too bad. We froze the wages of public sector workers, so y'know, they now earn closer to private sector workers."

P.s. I might have used the word 'frozen' rashly. I do definitely recall that public sector workers have had their pay cut in real terms, and I seem to recall various public sector jobs (teachers specifically, but some others) that did have frozen pay for most of this government.
SaucissonSecCy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TheGuyReturns)
They sell *******s because again and again the general public have shown themselves willing to buy in bulk. Can you really blame the Tories?
Indeed- it is dispiriting. I can't believe people still doff their caps to them, they represent nothing but disembowelling this country in a soulless fashion.
The_Mighty_Bush
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lerjj)
It's not good because that's not the sign of economic recovery!

"So, how are you doing?"
"Not bad, our GDP's still lower than it started, and unemployment remains high. We've also managed to decrease the growth rate since when we took over. Pretty much a successful economic recovery!"
"Sounds great! So, how are people doing besides the unemployment thing?"
"Oh, not too bad. We froze the wages of public sector workers, so y'know, they now earn closer to private sector workers."

P.s. I might have used the word 'frozen' rashly. I do definitely recall that public sector workers have had their pay cut in real terms, and I seem to recall various public sector jobs (teachers specifically, but some others) that did have frozen pay for most of this government.
Public sector workers do not have some right to have their wages increase in perpetuity while taxpayers in the private sector suffer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (94)
38.68%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
11.11%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.41%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.46%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.35%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
7%

Watched Threads