Petition: Compulsory education of basic Politics.

Watch
This discussion is closed.
DeanDouglas
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Compulsory education of basic Politics.

Compulsory education of basic Politics.

This petition...

As many people are deprived of basic political knowledge, when it comes to voting many people will actually end up voting for a party that may not even represent them. Therefore, political parties and their manifestos should be covered in the curriculum, in high school lessons such as PSHE. This will lead to a much better, well educated, poole of voters whom will actually have the ability and insight on which party they should vote for. It also avoids the influence of any political propaganda which may result in people voting for a party they would otherwise oppose, this has been the case for many people for many years.

driftawaay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, it should be a compulsory subject tbh, way more useful than half the pointless abstract **** we get thrown at us in school.
username456717
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nay. We need to be able to sway the large swathes of plebs with simple rhetoric and political quips.
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I agree with political engagement but this policy would see teachers indoctrinating their pupils without realising it. If a teacher is a Tory, no matter how hard the teacher tries there will always be that biased attitude when addressing some TUSC policies.
TorpidPhil
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not just that, but also economic basics, sociological basics and history basics.

However all of this would be too challenging for some and potentially not suitable for others who may not care. I think it is better to have this all available online and not allow anybody to vote until they pass such examinations.

That way it is cheaper for schools - schools can teach stuff that is more appropriate for jobs and making more out of later education. And it also isn't forced upon those who don't care while allowing it to be more extensive than it currently is. Also since there's effort involved it will put off people who don't care too much about politics, that's good - people who don't vote are typically people who don't care about politics and therefore it is better for the country if they don't vote anyway!
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I believe this is already on the PSHE curriculum?
If not, history lessons normally do the trick
Connzcdf
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Perhaps it could be suggested that school's have 'voting packs' that are basically summaries all political parties manifesto's, and are made freely available for students to read.
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Connzcdf)
Perhaps it could be suggested that school's have 'voting packs' that are basically summaries all political parties manifesto's, and are made freely available for students to read.
Would this not be a massive waste of effort on behalf of the government, who are going to great exertion to provide summaries of manifestos to people who cannot yet vote?
By the time they reach voting age, it is unlikely that the manifestos that were shown in this pack were the same.
Surely it would be better just to provide all voters with these summaries, if you must provide them at all...
plasmaman
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
I agree with political engagement but this policy would see teachers indoctrinating their pupils without realising it. If a teacher is a Tory, no matter how hard the teacher tries there will always be that biased attitude when addressing some TUSC policies.
true, although all of the teachers I've experienced political bias from (and its been unsubtle to say the least) have been Labour supporters
A Tory supporting teacher is either a rare breed, or they just don't feel the need to spread their views quite as much as the leftie teachers
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Aye from me. We need to further educate students

Posted from TSR Mobile
Connzcdf
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by thehistorybore)
Would this not be a massive waste of effort on behalf of the government, who are going to great exertion to provide summaries of manifestos to people who cannot yet vote?
By the time they reach voting age, it is unlikely that the manifestos that were shown in this pack were the same.
Surely it would be better just to provide all voters with these summaries, if you must provide them at all...
I understand, I never thought about that.
Then perhaps it would be a pack aimed at 18 year olds, with some basic facts about politics i.e. reasons to vote, a basic note as to what each party represents, and summaries of theor manifesto's. To be given to schools in the run up to a general election.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A wholehearted aye from me.
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I understand, I never thought about that.
Then perhaps it would be a pack aimed at 18 year olds, with some basic facts about politics i.e. reasons to vote, a basic note as to what each party represents, and summaries of theor manifesto's. To be given to schools in the run up to a general election.
The problem is that it's a small issue that deals with a minute part of the electorate, and only will be enacted once in a blue moon. Even if these packs are given out, those who aren't interested in politics just won't read them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Asolare
Report 5 years ago
I made a post about my view on this somewhere...on this forum...recently... maybe not idrk.

Anyway I support it as long as it's ensured the government don't adjust the curriculum to match the left/right wing (whatever is the govt in power) stance they desire.

Would it not be better to make it a compulsory module at college (I know people can do Apprenticeships instea of college, but you still have to go once a week don't you?) instead of secondary school because more developed minds and closer to voting age etc. etc.

Though once you do that, would it threaten the value of Govt & Politics A Level or not? (uncertain how in-depth it is, never studied it).

/post
quentinhamilton
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well I was taught it in school though not in great detail; politics should definitely replace some of the pointless compulsory subjects we done in school such as Ancient Greek (most boring and useless subject)
Connzcdf
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The problem is that it's a small issue that deals with a minute part of the electorate, and only will be enacted once in a blue moon. Even if these packs are given out, those who aren't interested in politics just won't read them.

Yes it would be a small amount of the electorate, and yes, those who aren't interested in politics won't read them. But generally speaking if the packs were there - it would be there if a person was ever looking for something to do. And surely the option of reading something like suggested, is much better than having possibly little/no information to vote on, and not having this information may be a factor as to why less young people are voting nowadays.
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think we should incorporate politics along side cooking, budgeting and general life advice into what we now have (or I had) Learning for Life and Work.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I support this as long as it can be done in a politically neutral way which I doubt it can be.
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes it would be a small amount of the electorate, and yes, those who aren't interested in politics won't read them. But generally speaking if the packs were there - it would be there if a person was ever looking for something to do. And surely the option of reading something like suggested, is much better than having possibly little/no information to vote on, and not having this information may be a factor as to why less young people are voting nowadays.
I think you may overestimate the intelligence of the British youth...
Connzcdf
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think you may overestimate the intelligence of the British youth...
I think you may underestimate the intelligence of the British youth.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.78%
I'm not sure (32)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.38%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.35%
I'm not a current university student (326)
47.8%

Watched Threads