Report Thread starter 4 years ago
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...lobal-business

Thoughts?
Suzanne123
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Interesting - wanna see this when it's up.
driftawaay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
'Brand is not registered to vote and the date for registration has passed'

WTF he is not going to vote?? After his 24/7 rambling???????????????????????? ???
Saelie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by driftawaay)
'Brand is not registered to vote and the date for registration has passed'

WTF he is not going to vote?? After his 24/7 rambling???????????????????????? ???
He's made it pretty clear in the past he doesn't believe in voting given the current political system.
driftawaay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Saelie)
He's made it pretty clear in the past he doesn't believe in voting given the current political system.
LOL I have not heard of that, omg. He needs Jesus.
TimmonaPortella
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
He's so infuriatingly vacuous it pains me to watch.

I wouldn't be surprised if this works in Ed's favour, though. If Brand seems actually engaged with Ed and to take him seriously throughout the interview, as he seems to be in the trailer, it may help him to be thought of seriously by Brand's particular audience, even if he doesn't get his endorsement as such.
frankieboy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TimmonaPortella)
He's so infuriatingly vacuous it pains me to watch.

I wouldn't be surprised if this works in Ed's favour, though. If Brand seems actually engaged with Ed and to take him seriously throughout the interview, as he seems to be in the trailer, it may help him to be thought of seriously by Brand's particular audience, even if he doesn't get his endorsement as such.
Don't mistake an Essex accent and a certain childish propensity towards turning everything into a joke for vacuousness. The guy's sharp.

I notice this is Cameron's retort. If anything's vacuous, this is. Punting out a lot of obvious facts about ''what we have to do'' and then insisting that Brand encourages people not to vote. Fact is, Brand said ''If you don't want to vote for any of the parties then don't vote''.

Problem is with Brand that people are so busy treating him as an easy Aunt Sally, that they miss half of the things he says. He does actually put a lot of effort into this, I believe.
TimmonaPortella
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by frankieboy)
Don't mistake an Essex accent and a certain childish propensity towards turning everything into a joke for vacuousness. The guy's sharp.
It's not his accent as much as his words and, to a greater degree, his vacuous ideas.

I find prolixity in general to be quite a good indicator of unclear or insubstantial thought. Brand is a stand-out example.

(Original post by frankieboy)
I notice this is Cameron's retort. If anything's vacuous, this is. Punting out a lot of obvious facts about ''what we have to do'' and then insisting that Brand encourages people not to vote. Fact is, Brand said ''If you don't want to vote for any of the parties then don't vote''.

Problem is with Brand that people are so busy treating him as an easy Aunt Sally, that they miss half of the things he says. He does actually put a lot of effort into this, I believe.
I'm not attacking him for telling people not to vote. I'm actually rather glad he does that. If Russell Brand is able to convince you not to vote you're not the sort of person I want voting.

I'm sure he puts effort into it. I'm sure he basically thinks he's a force for good and that he's doing the right thing. I don't dislike him as a person. I dislike that he's taken so seriously, because most of what he says hasn't been thought through properly.

All of this is a bit off-topic though. On topic, I think this was potentially a good move on Ed's part.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
To quote the left, this reeks of desperation. Although it does depend on the interview itself, could be pretty bad for him.
username878267
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
To quote the left, this reeks of desperation. Although it does depend on the interview itself, could be pretty bad for him.
No it really doesn't. Making incredibly personal and family attacks 'reeks of desperation'. Making up Labour's policies and criticizing them 'reeks of desperation'. Making wild unfunded pledges on the NHS 'reeks of desperation'.

Being interviewed and explaining the steps that you'll take to tackle tax avoidance does not.

Brand represents a political class, let down and disappointed by politics. He has 1.1 million youtube subscribers and 9.5 million twitter followers. He's also hugely popular in his circle. Him endorsing Ed can only be good.

Rather than actually comment on what he's saying, David Cameron labelled him 'a joke'. A personal attack? Now THAT reeks of desperation.
Amy. J S
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah, I think this should be interesting. Anybody who interviews a political party- moreover the Leader of that political party- who isn't a journalist attached to a media organisation, naturally should have more independence in their questions. And both have quite conflicting ideas, the most ovbious being Russell Brand's idea on not voting and of course, Ed Milliband wanting to encourage people to vote.
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bornblue)
No it really doesn't. Making incredibly personal and family attacks 'reeks of desperation'. Making up Labour's policies and criticizing them 'reeks of desperation'. Making wild unfunded pledges on the NHS 'reeks of desperation'.

Being interviewed and explaining the steps that you'll take to tackle tax avoidance does not.

Brand represents a political class, let down and disappointed by politics. He's also hugely popular in his circle. Him endorsing Ed can only be good.

Rather than actually comment on what he's saying, David Cameron labelled him 'a joke'. A personal attack? Now THAT reeks of desperation.
To me this shows a hypocrisy on the part of Brand, if he has endorsed Miliband or in any way backed him. Brand has pretty clearly laid out his political views, a total rejection of our system, Labour and Miliband included. To come out and support him shows a faith in our system, given he has been calling for revolution up to now I can't help but be sceptical.

I don't blame Cameron for not replying to Brand, there is no point. Someone like Brand will never be convinced by anything Cameron or in theory any politician says. He rejects the very legitimacy of a politician so why bother engaging with him? Cameron is better of spending the time trying to make speeches and engage voters, not that he'll do that but I can hope
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Brand represents a political class, let down and disappointed by politics. He's also hugely popular in his circle. Him endorsing Ed can only be good.

The reeking of desperation is the having to turn to such a radical figure to try to gain any little bit of support you can, and Brand really is a joke. I did enjoy the making up and criticising policies, I suppose though one's own political cause is always infallible, eh? The funny thing is, hugely popular in his circle, a circle that wishes to stand up against the establishment, which, funnily enough, includes Mr Miliband last I checked.
username878267
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The reeking of desperation is the having to turn to such a radical figure to try to gain any little bit of support you can, and Brand really is a joke. I did enjoy the making up and criticising policies, I suppose though one's own political cause is always infallible, eh? The funny thing is, hugely popular in his circle, a circle that wishes to stand up against the establishment, which, funnily enough, includes Mr Miliband last I checked.
Brand has millions of fans, his endorsement is a good thing. Miliband is certainly not 'the establishment'. He represents someone who will stand up to vested interests. Who else has called fro such a strong line on tax avoidance? Who else has called for the break up of Murdochs empire?

It's not desperation at all. It's engaging with disillusioned people. But carry on with your personal attacks. No tactic seems too dirty for you.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
To me this shows a hypocrisy on the part of Brand, if he has endorsed Miliband or in any way backed him. Brand has pretty clearly laid out his political views, a total rejection of our system, Labour and Miliband included. To come out and support him shows a faith in our system, given he has been calling for revolution up to now I can't help but be sceptical.

I don't blame Cameron for not replying to Brand, there is no point. Someone like Brand will never be convinced by anything Cameron or in theory any politician says. He rejects the very legitimacy of a politician so why bother engaging with him? Cameron is better of spending the time trying to make speeches and engage voters, not that he'll do that but I can hope
On the former point, Brand has already shown his hypocrisy a hundred times over (well, maybe not a hundred, but it is already out there). As for the latter point, Cameron would stand to gain more than Miliband from talking to that nut. Most of Brand's followers are already at least left leaning, many will already be voting Labour, more left, or not at all. On the other hand Cameron would be opening himself up to another audience, an audience that probably won't vote for him, but an audience that would otherwise be completely disengaged from what he has to say.
username878267
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)

I don't care about Brand.
He is hugely popular and potentially has a lot of influence over many people. His support for Ed will certainly help Labour. Great piece of PR this.
Cll_ws
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As somebody that doesn't have a vote this election (non-conservative voter in a conservative safe seat of many many years) I share many of Russell's qualms. I'm registered, but probably won't be voting. I have in the past, but I've always felt very disconnected from the process.

I'll check out the interview. Should be interesting.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Brand has millions of fans, his endorsement is a good thing. Miliband is certainly not 'the establishment'. He represents someone who will stand up to vested interests. Who else has called fro such a strong line on tax avoidance? Who else has called for the break up of Murdochs empire?

It's not desperation at all. It's engaging with disillusioned people. But carry on with your personal attacks. No tactic seems too dirty for you.
Remind me, what is Miliband's job, exactly, or at least what was it a few weeks ago and what will it most probably be in 9 days time? Remind me what system he is therefore a part of, and remind me what system Brand is standing up to and *****ing about all the time. Remind me, why isn't he voting? Why did he spend so long urging people not to vote?
And if I were Ed I still wouldn't want his endorsement, not a very good role model and not the sort of person I would want offering their endorsement.

I must say that line at the end made me smile, oh the hypocrisy.
I'm a Bad Boy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Brand is a manipulative liar like most politicians, he is just targeting very stupid people who cba to vote and rounding them up for Labour, he is a man without principles after banging on about not voting and is richer than the politicians he says he hates, he is a famous entertainer, part of the British media yet claims to not be in their clique, its so moronic and dishonest.

Then again you just claimed Milliband isn't part of the esablishment even though he is a rich career politician, the son of Marxists and educated from a very young age into leading the Labour party while claiming Nigel Farage is because he likes Thatcher. What an awful poster
username878267
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Remind me, what is Miliband's job, exactly, or at least what was it a few weeks ago and what will it most probably be in 9 days time? Remind me what system he is therefore a part of, and remind me what system Brand is standing up to and *****ing about all the time. Remind me, why isn't he voting? Why did he spend so long urging people not to vote?
And if I were Ed I still wouldn't want his endorsement, not a very good role model and not the sort of person I would want offering their endorsement.

I must say that line at the end made me smile, oh the hypocrisy.
You're defining the 'establishment' as government. That's bonkers.
If I was Ed i'd certainly want the endorsement of his 1.1 million youtube subscribers and 9. million twitter followers and 3.5 million Facebook followers.

In every poll voters find the tories campaign to be far more negative than Labour's
Hypocrisy? I make political arguments, you seem content with endorsing personal attacks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (280)
15.46%
The paper was reasonable (1009)
55.72%
Not feeling great about that exam... (387)
21.37%
It was TERRIBLE (135)
7.45%

Watched Threads