V776 - Watershed and Certificate Abolition Bill 2015

Watch
Poll: Should this bill be passed into law?
As many as are of that opinion, Aye (11)
37.93%
On the contrary, No (14)
48.28%
Abstain (4)
13.79%
This discussion is closed.
Birchington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
B776 - Watershed and Certificate Abolition Bill 2015, TSR Conservative and Unionist Party

Watershed and Certificate abolition bill 2015

An Act to give power to the individual regarding their media viewing and reform our outdated restrictions.
(Seconded by the Liberal Party)

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1. Watershed
(1) For the purposes of this act the watershed is hereby abolished
(2) The use of profanity, swearing, sexual acts, nudity, sexual violence and foul language is now permitted in any and all television programmes

2. Certification
(1) For the purposes of this act the certificates PG, 12, 15, and 18 are hereby abolished for all new media
(2) All new media will now be subject only to the certification 'U', '12A' and '16'

3. Enforcement
(1) Digital Satellite television providers are hereby required to allow a default parental lock on channels which broadcast media which would otherwise be subject to the watershed
(2) The viewing of such media is at the discretion of the parents, guardian, carer etc who may either temporarily to permanently disable the parental lock.
(3) New media is defined as that requiring certification after 1st January 2015

4. Devolution
(1) Powers in relation to the watershed and certification licensing are hereby devolved to the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish Assemblies.

5. Commencement, Short title and Extent
(1) This Act may be cited as the Watershed and Certificate abolition bill 2015
(2) This Act shall come into force on 1st January 2016
(3) This Act shall extend to the whole of the British Republic

Notes
The Watershed (a time after which violence, profanity, and sexual explicit scenes can be shown on television) does not have the same effect nor is needed quite as profoundly due to the language and scenes available to most people through music, video games, and films available to buy at most places. Any complaints are still the responsibility of OFCOM. In today's modern world with parental restrictions there is no need to maintain these archaic restrictions on programming.

Today, there seems little logic in not allowing 16 year olds to see/hear what 18 year olds do as they are far more aware of the sex and violence that the certificate was meant to shield them from. This, in tandem with the fact they can simply see anything they want -with ease, and they do - on the internet anyway and the logic behind this bill is apparent. Additionally we believe that the PG and 12 certifications are not required given that parents and/or guardians have responsibility for the media their children view anyway.

Please note that this bill is a revamped version of the Watershed Adjustment and Certificate 18 abolition Acts. Authorisation from the Liberal Party was sought and Paddy Power was consulted.

Watershed Adjustment Bill...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1211291

Certificate 18 Abolition Bill

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1411853

Birchington
Rep:
?
MPs please note: voting has been shortened to 2 days with the permission of Life_Peer.

This will allow a decision to be made before the election commences on Thursday.
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not convinced that change is needed or demanded.
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Come on, let's see an aye here!
Birchington
Rep:
?
Ayes to the right: 11
Noes to the left: 14
Abstain: 4

The Noes have it! The Noes have it! Unlock.

Turnout: 58%
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (35)
33.33%
No - I have already returned home (11)
10.48%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (23)
21.9%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (7)
6.67%
No - I live at home during term anyway (29)
27.62%

Watched Threads