A-Level subject options - English Lang and Gov & Politics

Watch
Jakerobins
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
What is Government and politics like at A-level? Is it worth taking?
What is English Language like at A-level ?
AnnieGakusei
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jakerobins)
What is Government and politics like at A-level? Is it worth taking?
What is English Language like at A-level ?
I do AQA AS level English Language (but not Government and Politics) and it really depends on the board and individual preference.

English Language is not my favourite subject, but it isn't a particularly difficult one especially not if you have a flair for the language. You need to know quite a lot of terminology (but from my experience it's quite easy to pick that up) be good at analysing and looking beyond the obvious, and enjoy looking at texts and seeing how they have been influenced by certain features and why those features were used.

Of course the changes to A levels mean I can't really tell you what a course next year will be like. There used to be coursework for AQA but I think that's being done away with as of next academic year. I also don't have any experience with other boards, so there will be variations between boards as you'd expect.

In my opinion English Language is an A level worth taking; it's not quite as highly regarded as English Literature but if you're good at English you should be able to get a good grade in it.

It might be a good idea to talk to A Level students at your school, or to your teachers to get a good idea of whether or not you will enjoy it.
CCH0705
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm currently do AS English Language but not Government & Politics.

In addition to what's been said above, I found AS language to be very different from GCSE and the change had to be the most noticeable and substantial out of any of the subjects I chose, and it took me be surprise to begin with

But if you enjoy creative writing, then you'd at least enjoy the coursework in year 12 because it completely revolves around that (I had to write a short story and an article) and then you have to analyse your own writing and identify the features you've used and what effect they have etc. Also, because Creative Writing as an individual A-level isn't really held in high regards, this is probably the best alternative, and you'll be gaining a more respected A-level as well.

Yeah there is a lot of terminology, but it is quite easy to grasp (eventually XD)
Language and Gender is really interesting as is Language and Power. Language and Technology is quite dull in my opinion but because of how the exam is structured, you don't even need to revise it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (707)
33.94%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (890)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.87%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.46%

Watched Threads