The Student Room Group

Looking for Warwick Uni PGCE students 2015.....

Hey guys,

So I had my interview for PGCE yesturday and I was offered a place on the spot.

I'm now looking for other PGCE students that will be starting this August at the University of Warwick!
What are your plans for accommodation!? : short term rent? Getting one place for the year and hope that your placements are nearby!?
I live in Shrewsbury so getting to and from the uni everyday takes 1h 30m and god knows how long it'll take to get to the partnership schools!

Will be nice to hear some ideas and maybe some guys to share a house with?? Definitely do not want to share with undergrads!

Get in touch!

Ciao

Jo
Moved to Education and Teaching :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by JCaldwell91
Hey guys,

So I had my interview for PGCE yesturday and I was offered a place on the spot.

I'm now looking for other PGCE students that will be starting this August at the University of Warwick!
What are your plans for accommodation!? : short term rent? Getting one place for the year and hope that your placements are nearby!?
I live in Shrewsbury so getting to and from the uni everyday takes 1h 30m and god knows how long it'll take to get to the partnership schools!

Will be nice to hear some ideas and maybe some guys to share a house with?? Definitely do not want to share with undergrads!

Get in touch!

Ciao

Jo

Hi Jo

CONGRATULATIONS on getting through. It's fab that you found out on the spot. I have my interview for PGCE Early Years at Warwick on Friday, this is the last round of interviews as the post is now closed on UCAS. I'm feeling nervous. How did you find yours? Any tips would be appreciated
Reply 3
Hey Jo!

I'm going to Warwick to do secondary maths and funnily enough I live in Welshpool (not too far from shrewsbury!) I was planning on getting accommodation for the year and hoping the schools will be not too far away as I will have my car with me. I've been stressing about accommodation because a lot of the contracts don't seem to start until late September and we obviously start in August. It's nice to hear from someone else going to Warwick as so far I haven't found many people!

Katey
Reply 4
Hi Katey!

Ah that's awesome!
I'm in the exact same boat!

I'm considering getting accommodation for the year- but I know they promised they'll try get one of my placements in Shrewsbury (Telford is more do-able, apparently) which would definitely save some money. But moving about from place to place and securing deposits will probably add up to the same amount if not more.
Are you looking for somewhere in the Coventry area or around say, Birmingham?

I don't really like the idea of getting somewhere with other undergrad students, would be nice to share with other PGCE-ers!
Reply 5
Hey Leigh!

Congrats on securing an interview! Warwicks selection process is super tough!

I hear the early years PGCE selection day is a lot different to secondary...?

I was incredibly nervous for mine; I had to do a 5 minute presentation on teaching issues; not having much sleep the night before meant my nerves took COMPLETE control!

That being said though the staff at the selection days are incredibly relaxed and approachable people! I felt really comfortable in my interview which made all the difference and probably made up for shaking like a leaf during my presentation! (doesn't bode well for a future Drama teacher :wink: )

I guess tips would be:

- Dress Smart
- Smile and be engaged in everything
- Mention and draw on any experience you've had in schools- more the better!
- clearly communicate your passion about teaching and about educating early years.
- be aware of current teaching issues *BONUS* if you can express your opinion on the recent curriculum changes, which there are many in early years and primary!- they even love criticism of it!
- Know the current safeguarding procedures!

Some questions that's might pop up ( that I can remember from my interview):

- what would you do with a child that persistently misbehaves?
- what makes an outstanding lesson?
- what will make you an outstanding teacher?
- What would you do if a child told you they were being abused?
- How important is communication in a school? what does communication mean to you?
- When have you shown resilience?
- What other things could you offer to a teaching position?

that's all I can remember at the moment- it seemed more like an informal chat, and those are the only questions that really came up.

All the best for tomorrow!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by JCaldwell91
Hi Katey!

Ah that's awesome!
I'm in the exact same boat!

I'm considering getting accommodation for the year- but I know they promised they'll try get one of my placements in Shrewsbury (Telford is more do-able, apparently) which would definitely save some money. But moving about from place to place and securing deposits will probably add up to the same amount if not more.
Are you looking for somewhere in the Coventry area or around say, Birmingham?

I don't really like the idea of getting somewhere with other undergrad students, would be nice to share with other PGCE-ers!

Ah that's cool. When I had my interview they said something about if I can find a school in Shrewsbury or there abouts then I can do my placement there but personally I think I'd rather live in Coventry or maybe Leamington Spa.
I emailed the accommodation people about finding a place and they said we can apply through the accommodation page and they'll let PGCE-ers know in August what they have available. But that seems to be leaving it to the last minute... I think it would be nice to stay in a flat with other PGCE people..I'm not sure if I can put myself through halls again! Are you on the PGCE facebook page?

And Leigh, my advice for the interview would be to just relax and try and be yourself! If you have to do a micro teach presentation (I'm not sure what the deal with Primary is, but for Secondary we had to do one) then don't take it too seriously. We were told that they wouldn't accept/reject us based on the presentation and that it was just used so they could see what we would need to work on if we got on the course. I was soo nervous about mine, but the atmosphere was really relaxed and the other candidates were very supportive.
Good Luck!!
Reply 7
There's a PGCE facebook page for this year? I searched for one, but couldn't find any? Do you have a link?

Yeah that's way to last minute! I'd be pulling my hair out!
Yah I've worked in a couple of schools in Shrewsbury- but it'll be odd going back and teaching the students I used to support!
Reply 8
Ditto; is there a facebook page already for this year's cohort? I'm hoping to find other PGCE students to stay with next year, I'd much rather that than halls!
Reply 9
Original post by Ooklife
Ditto; is there a facebook page already for this year's cohort? I'm hoping to find other PGCE students to stay with next year, I'd much rather that than halls!

I'm already looking at regular flats for 2/3 people- if you notify the council you can be exempt from paying the pesky council tax and would get so much more value for money! Student digs are horrendous for the amount of money you pay per room!
If you're still having trouble about finding a place let me know and maybe we can buddy up!
Hi!
I'm also going to be doing the PGCE Secondary course starting August. Myself and another girl are hoping to live with a couple of other students from the course too but don't really know where to start as there doesn't appear to be any sort of Facebook group!! (or is there and I just can't find it?). How are you guys getting on finding accommodation?

Paige x
Original post by paigemurphy_
Hi!
I'm also going to be doing the PGCE Secondary course starting August. Myself and another girl are hoping to live with a couple of other students from the course too but don't really know where to start as there doesn't appear to be any sort of Facebook group!! (or is there and I just can't find it?). How are you guys getting on finding accommodation?

Paige x

Hey Paige!

That's great! I've teamed up with Phil (above) and another chap. and we've spotted a couple were gonna look into.

I've made a Facebook group, search for: Warwick PGCE 2015-2016

:smile: x
Thank you! I can't find it, is there any chance you can please put the link on here? x
https://www.facebook.com/groups/WarwickPGCE15/

Hopefully that will work- there's not many of us on there yet but I only made it a couple of days a go- perhaps if you couldn't find it other people can't! Ill look into it!
Thank you!!!
Hi guys! Sorry to just barge in lol. I've applied for Primacy PGCE, early years at Warwick and I wanted to know what it was like there as you guys have already got in. Also, any interview tips? Are their maths and English tests hard? I've passed my skills tests already so surely that counts for something?

Thank you. Xx

Maria.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending