Do you want a European Super League?

Watch this thread
al_94
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
The European Super League is something that has been spoken about for some time and I think by now it is going to come in the future so there is no point debating whether it will come or not. The UEFA Nations League will be introduced in the 2018–19 season and I see the European Super League being introduced soon after. Arsene Wenger said in 2009 that European Super League will be here in 10 years and Galatasaray chairman Unal Aysal said in 2013 that it will be a reality in 5 years. What is your opinions on this?
IceyFish
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
Hell no that would be terrible
TornadoGR4
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
It won't happen. I don't actually know how I'd feel about it, I'd be quite glad to get rid of the PL Powerhouses that are always at the top. But then you'd just effectively get a new clutch of clubs occupying the top of the PL, Everton, Spurs, Southampton etc.
IceyFish
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TornadoGR4)
It won't happen. I don't actually know how I'd feel about it, I'd be quite glad to get rid of the PL Powerhouses that are always at the top. But then you'd just effectively get a new clutch of clubs occupying the top of the PL, Everton, Spurs, Southampton etc.
The PL would then become meaningless though.
TornadoGR4
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by IceyFish)
The PL would then become meaningless though.
Depends how this Super League works, does finishing first in the PL grant you access to the SL for next season? How does relegation work? What if 3 teams from one nation are relegated & none from another?

I don't think the PL would become meaningless, I find the Top 4 battle quite boring really, particularly after the Saints lost their grasp of it. Top 5 next season will be Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, it's bad that we can already call that now.
IceyFish
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Depends how this Super League works, does finishing first in the PL grant you access to the SL for next season? How does relegation work? What if 3 teams from one nation are relegated & none from another?

I don't think the PL would become meaningless, I find the Top 4 battle quite boring really, particularly after the Saints lost their grasp of it. Top 5 next season will be Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, it's bad that we can already call that now.
The relegation/promotion thing wouldn't work unless you set the criteria of one up one down from a certain nation, which in turn could be unfair (e.g Barça and Madrid would never drop out so Spanish teams don't get a chance). It would just make the PL a glorified Championship too, not to mention away games by plane journeys etc. it's not feasible really.
Josh_Dickson
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
the (excellent) journalist gabrielle marcotti has talked about this - except I think his article on it is behind the times paywall. http://talksport.com/radio/call-coll...n-super-league < talks about it here though for those interested.

kind of agree with tornado ^ that the PL (and other euro leagues) have become a bit predicable, for a variety of reasons.
TornadoGR4
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
It would just make the PL a glorified Championship too
I'm fine with that :bigsmile:
IceyFish
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I'm fine with that :bigsmile:
Around this time 14 years ago we were preparing for a CL semi final
TornadoGR4
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, been to hell and back. I don't see next season being successful either. In fact, I'd take Championship safety right now if it was offered.

But I will not lose my faith :fuhrer:
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
"We"?
samba
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
It'll be in a limited capacity initially, and it's already happening really. Financial rewards too big to ignore.
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by samba)
It'll be in a limited capacity initially, and it's already happening really. Financial rewards too big to ignore.
Yea the domestic leagues are generally being overshadowed by the CL so why wouldn't the big clubs keep growing the idea of a super league?
username917703
Rep:
Report 7 years ago

I ****ing hate football.

Let them **** off so we can start again.
samba
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Zerforax)
Yea the domestic leagues are generally being overshadowed by the CL so why wouldn't the big clubs keep growing the idea of a super league?
Think the US pre season tour last year was a great example. 120K crowds, and that was for friendlies. A very limited format superleague with the true commercial giants is close. Maybe to replace the league cup/fa cup for us or whatever.

Man Utd Real, Barca, Bayern, Liverpool, Possibly Chelsea/Dortmund, maybe an Italian club. 6-8 teams, and based in the US and far east. It'd spin a fortune.
samba
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Wilfred Little)

I ****ing hate football.

Let them **** off so we can start again.
Villa aint exactly a small club m8. Get to your rightful place, and you could be in it too!
username917703
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by samba)
Villa aint exactly a small club m8. Get to your rightful place, and you could be in it too!
Thanks man.

As of now it'd be Barca/Real, MU, Liverpool, Bayern, Arsenal, AC Milan, Juve, Inter. I'm not even sure the tinpot clubs would get in it.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
not going to comment on whether its good for football.. but for me, I cant really see the positives.

currently I get to see my team in a domestic league, and a european cup competition.

Presumably if there was a super league, that would replace both of the above, so I would go from watching 2 competitions, down to one.

Does not sound to great.
mojojojo101
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
If it does happen it will because of big clubs leaving UEFA, which I'm not sure how close we are to.

If that did come to pass though, they wouldn't be able.to compete in national or existing continental championships, that would be a big ass risk.
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by samba)
Think the US pre season tour last year was a great example. 120K crowds, and that was for friendlies. A very limited format superleague with the true commercial giants is close. Maybe to replace the league cup/fa cup for us or whatever.

Man Utd Real, Barca, Bayern, Liverpool, Possibly Chelsea/Dortmund, maybe an Italian club. 6-8 teams, and based in the US and far east. It'd spin a fortune.
When they go to Asia too. Liverpool pulled 90k at Jakarta I believe.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed