Guys, what makes you feel British? /Would you accept me as British?

Watch
arminb
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So in a little while I'll qualify to apply as a British citizen and I count seconds for the time to come. But sometimes I still worry that I won't really be British by then. If the law rrecognises you to be British it doesn't necessarily mean that you are. I need the implied consent of the society to call myself British. How do you think I can be accepted as a true Brit?

Some information about me:
I'm muslim
I was born in Iran but I don't have much feelings or connections towards that country
I have an accent which I'm trying so hard to lose
I believe that i know alot about the cultue and the society
also the history
and politcs , of the UK.

hold radical left wing views
love rock n roll and the beatles and the Who and the clash
oppose the monarchy
hate thatcher
love Britain.
felt british a long time ago
support England's football team for no logical reason
Support everything that is British .I repeatedly say James Bound is not an American film it's British when I'm overseas.
obsessed by the language(poetry gentlemen, Yeats and Blake and Ginsberg)
i dream of being elligible to vote (literally)
I believe there is no way like the British way
i love the people
i love the buildings
i love everything about this country
i am more than ready to accept the democratic values of the UK and even try to further those values or reinstate them (gender equality and meritocracy)
I try to look and speak working class
ESPORTIVA
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Good god no

Posted from TSR Mobile
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
if you support UKIP i will accept you
2x59
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why the hell do you need acceptance from people? Just do/be what you want.
SeaPony
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes you are British although you don't come from Britain from what you have told us about yourself you are British.
If you want a UKIP stamp of approval then you have it

The only thing I don't agree with is your left wing views? Could you elaborate
arminb
Rep:
?
(Original post by ESPORTIVA)
Good god no

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why?
Manitude
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah. Your ethnic origin is not the British Isles but anyone who tells you that is the only requirement for being British needs a slap round the face and a history lesson.
arminb
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
if you support UKIP i will accept you
Intelligent answer although I'm not sure how much ukip are actually about immigration. They're more about that 35p tax rate and Americanising that great institution of ours , the NHS. They are trying to win votes through that immigration rhetoric while in essence they are just willing to serve the needs of a select group.
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How old were you when you came here? I wouldn't personally try to change my accent tbh.
SeaPony
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The people who are serving the needs of a small group are the main political parties which include Labour. And they are not for privatising the NHS the people who did that the most was actually Labour with their PFI deals.
arminb
Rep:
?
(Original post by Manitude)
Yeah. Your ethnic origin is not the British Isles but anyone who tells you that is the only requirement for being British needs a slap round the face and a history lesson.
Thank you. Although I believe British nationality should be given to those who truly care about this country and those who feel British. Not thise who are just looking for visa free travel. Being the national of a country is responsibility as mich as a blessing. It is amazing that you have such an amazing country that grants you this blessing.
In Iran , only people whose father (not mother) is Iranian can be given Iranian nationality . Or if a woman marries and Iranian man (doesn't work the other way) and agrees to convert to Islam.
Maradiah
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you feel British then you're British, you don't need anyone on an on-line
forum to tell you different. If anyone on here says "no" then they are just ignorant, everyone on here is an immigrant anyway.

Our ancestor started off in Africa not the UK.:rolleyes:
arminb
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
How old were you when you came here? I wouldn't personally try to change my accent tbh.
14 . Why wouldn't you? I want to look as much British as possible. If I could, I'd change my eye colour too.
Feline_Nymphet
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by arminb)
So in a little while I'll qualify to apply as a British citizen and I count seconds for the time to come. But sometimes I still worry that I won't really be British by then. If the law rrecognises you to be British it doesn't necessarily mean that you are. I need the implied consent of the society to call myself British. How do you think I can be accepted as a true Brit?

Some information about me:
I'm muslim
I was born in Iran but I don't have much feelings or connections towards that country
I have an accent which I'm trying so hard to lose
I believe that i know alot about the cultue and the society
also the history
and politcs , of the UK.

love rock n roll and the beatles and the Who and the clash
oppose the monarchy
hate thatcher
love Britain.
felt british a long time ago
support the england team
Support everything british
obsessed by the language
i dream of being elligible to vote
I believe there is no way like the British way
i love the people
i love the buildings
i love everything about this country
i am more than ready to accept the democratic values of the UK and even try to further those values or reinstate them (gender equality and meritocracy)
Oh deary, deary me. I smell that classic pathological desperation to be white and mainstream *deep sniffs*

You support the England team? In the...World Cup? Because there are several English football clubs :erm:. & There are average Brits who don't support the England team, and Britain does not equal England

The people? Um okay.

The Clash, The Who...well...okay, g-great. Millions of people do (old people especially I suppose liking Harry Potter automatically makes you an Anglophile/wanna be English too then )

Try to look and speak working class? *scratches head*

No way like the British way. Well let's start with America and half the rest of the world. Also UK was invaded by Rome, which takes many inspirations from Greece. So that's 3 places already that are like UK. But whatever. You know best.

Oppose the monarchy and hates Thatcher :indiff: Well...looks like someone wants rocks thrown at them too. Sighs.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i am more than ready to accept the democratic values of the UK
The first and second points seem a little contradictory to me.

Why do you try to look and speak working class? Don't act like something you're not, just be yourself (if you do consider yourself working class, then fine, but you don't need to act a certain way for that).

On a lighter note, you must both love and loath queuing, you must judge other nationalities on their inability to queue, and you need to generically complain about more things.
arminb
Rep:
?
(Original post by SeaPony)
Yes you are British although you don't come from Britain from what you have told us about yourself you are British.
If you want a UKIP stamp of approval then you have it

The only thing I don't agree with is your left wing views? Could you elaborate
That would take us off topic. You can find my left wing views all over TSR. I believe in freedom of speech and tolerance. It is amazing that we got parties from every part of the political spectrum. this plurality of views is what makes us learn.
R£SP£CT
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Persian culture v British culture? Good grief I'd stick with Iran. But I guess to each their own.
Maradiah
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
14 . Why wouldn't you? I want to look as much British as possible. If I could, I'd change my eye colour too.
What? how absurd, why would you change who you're to fit in with a group of people that would probably reject even if you did change your "eye colour" or any other part of your face or anatomy.

Simply because of the fact that you're seeking their approval, why do that?

You know who you're, why do you need a bunch of vikings to make you feel accepted?
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
14, yeah I'd consider you British. I think really you have to spend some time growing up in that country. I'm in my twenties now and I wouldn't consider myself Spanish if I lived in Spain for five years and gained citizenship. My nan came to the UK in her twenties, loves it, loves the Royals and all that but she definitely isn't British.

You seem to love this country and you came here when you were young, I'm assuming you were schooled here too.

And I wouldn't change my accent/wouldn't try to look or speak "working class" or try to portray myself as middle class cos I think people should be themselves. There's nothing wrong with being either working or middle class FTR.
arminb
Rep:
?
(Original post by Feline_Nymphet)
Oh deary, deary me. I smell that classic pathological desperation to be white and mainstream *deep sniffs*

You support the England team? In the...World Cup? Because there are several English football clubs :erm:. & There are average Brits who don't support the England team, and Britain does not equal England

The people? Um okay.

The Clash, The Who...well...okay, g-great. Millions of people do (old people especially I suppose liking Harry Potter automatically makes you an Anglophile/wanna be English too then )

Try to look and speak working class? *scratches head*

No way like the British way. Well let's start with America and half the rest of the world. Also UK was invaded by Rome, which takes many inspirations from Greece. So that's 3 places already that are like UK. But whatever. You know best.

Oppose the monarchy and hates Thatcher :indiff: Well...looks like someone wants rocks thrown at them too. Sighs.
This was a bit muddled but I think you mean non of these contribute to being British. What does make one British in the civic sense? What makes you British? That was actually my question. But I never ever for a second doubted whether I feel British. I have paid a great price to be here because everyday was amazing in the UK. I can never imagine leaving Britian.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.85%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.53%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (36)
16.44%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (33)
15.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (59)
26.94%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
19.18%

Watched Threads