The Student Room Group

Why do people say English literature degrees are pointless?

I'm going to Uni of Nottingham this year to start my degree in English literature, and I am really excited as it's the only subject I'm genuinely passionate about and have always wanted to do. I got mostly A*'s in my GCSE's, and 3 A's in my AS's (hoping to maintain that in my A2's), I was good at sciences as well but chose English as it's my favourite.
However I keep hearing/seeing people say that people who study English only do it because they are incapable of doing a more intellectual subject (aka sciences).. is English lit really not considered a good degree? and many people say there is no chance of getting a job after. I'm a highly ambitious person and I want to do well in my career, although I am not sure what I want to pursue yet I am quite concerned by the idea that my degree will lead me nowhere.

I don't know if this is just people being pessimistic or if it is a genuine fact, can anyone give me their ideas/opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elenacarruthers
I'm going to Uni of Nottingham this year to start my degree in English literature, and I am really excited as it's the only subject I'm genuinely passionate about and have always wanted to do. I got mostly A*'s in my GCSE's, and 3 A's in my AS's (hoping to maintain that in my A2's), I was good at sciences as well but chose English as it's my favourite. However I keep hearing/seeing people say that people who study English only do it because they are incapable of doing a more intellectual subject (aka sciences).. is English lit really not considered a good degree? and many people say there is no chance of getting a job after. I'm a highly ambitious person and I want to do well in my career, although I am not sure what I want to pursue yet I am quite concerned by the idea that my degree will lead me nowhere. I don't know if this is just people being pessimistic or if it is a genuine fact, can anyone give me their ideas/opinions?

For most jobs they don't care what degree you do, they just specify a "2:1 in ANY degree." So I doubt you will have to worry about jobs.

Also, you're going to a good university and to some employers your university is more important than what you studied.

I think the reason people say that English Literature is pointless is because it's not directly relevant to real life if you know what I mean. People actually use Chemistry knowledge for drug development, as one example. But who cares what they think. You'll still be developing key skills that will be attractive to many employers.
Original post by Da Di Doo
For most jobs they don't care what degree you do, they just specify a "2:1 in ANY degree." So I doubt you will have to worry about jobs.

Also, you're going to a good university and to some employers your university is more important than what you studied.

I think the reason people say that English Literature is pointless is because it's not directly relevant to real life if you know what I mean. People actually use Chemistry knowledge for drug development, as one example. But who cares what they think. You'll still be developing key skills that will be attractive to many employers.

thank you, that's really helpful & just what i needed to hear :smile:
Original post by Gott
Because they for people who just want to read books

... i think you meant 'they're'
Reply 4
Original post by Gott

Looks like you could be doing with reading a little more.
Original post by Gott
Oops, what a mistaka to maka? :p:

you seem to only be commenting to express a biased opinion and be rude... maybe you should find a better use of your time
Original post by Gott

This is pretty much what Law students do during the week, are they under the same classification as English students?
Original post by Gott
How am I biased?

because you said to the other guy about STEM being better than english, which is obviously just your opinion which you are entitled to, but i was looking for someone to actually give me some helpful advice not play a game of 'who does the better subject'...
Original post by Gott
They read fiction?

Yeah, because English Lit students stick primarily to fiction don't they?

May I ask what you study?
Reply 9
OP, on TSR you will get a ton of hate for taking English and not a STEM subject.

Imo, ignore them.
Any degree that isn't STEMM is pointless.
Original post by Da Di Doo
For most jobs they don't care what degree you do, they just specify a "2:1 in ANY degree." So I doubt you will have to worry about jobs

Really? Can you show me any evidence of this? It would be nice if it were true, but I don't think it is. Also *everyone* has to worry about jobs, there isn't an unlimited supply of them.
It's not a pointless degree. It is an interesting an engaging subject which attracts a lot of very able students. Those I've known that have studied lit at good universities have not had problems finding jobs in competitive industries.
Original post by Smug Life
Any degree that isn't STEMM is pointless.

And we have a perfect example here, thank you.
Original post by AdamCee
And we have a perfect example here, thank you.

ahah, this seems a bit close minded doesn't it
Original post by Gott
Stem > humanities

That's only true if you go into a stem career though isn't it? If you go into a humanities career obviously humanities are better. If you go into a job which is unrelated to your degree course (which is the case with 60% of graduates) then both are equal...
Original post by Gott
I meant law students

Basically, I'm saying its an intellectual hobbie (reading books)

I'm doing Bio, Chem, Psycho and History (I don't have much time for reading novels lol)

You do know that Fiction means that it's not real? I'm pretty sure that Law students read over real cases.

Also, History includes a substantial amount of reading, some of which may not be classed as Non-Fiction. Just saying.
English lit is just ur opinion about stuff, anyone on here could be good at it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kayleighw27
Really? Can you show me any evidence of this? It would be nice if it were true, but I don't think it is. Also *everyone* has to worry about jobs, there isn't an unlimited supply of them.

Yeah I know everyone has to worry. They have to worry because of the competition not because of the degree they chose unless they chose photography and then only applies to research jobs.

I could show you evidence or you could google it. Heck, OP could even become a lawyer with the English Lit degree. A Biology grad could also become a lawyer with their science degree. It would only take them a year longer than non-Law students.
Original post by Gott
And English lit is useful in its self... how?

maybe it isn't as useful as STEM, i do accept that but not EVERYONE can do the same subjects, there have to be some that do humanities. it is an interesting subject that requires a certain way of thinking, analytical skills, creativity, understanding of history and politics, and an understanding the effect that literature has had on society? literature can be extremely powerful and influential, and if that doesn't interest you that is fine but you can't enforce your clearly biased opinion on others who have different interests and ideas to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending